HWS 13 Pre-Announcement Teaser | Full Wipe Notices | Galaxy Rework

@RexXxuS - are you going (if you have not already) put an “end of season and OCD changes” notification in the in game chat bot? Direction to this post would be good too.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest for a bit:
There were 7000 star systems out there:
I joined late just about a week ago and after 2 jumps I started discovering new systems, most systems planets, moons in direct ECC proximity were undiscovered (and still are)
Nothing is discovered because no one cares. It’s boring, empty, random, endless, rewardless.
PVP/PVE doesn’t even matter, whatever area you choose you know you are alone anyway.

Eve Online features 5000 star systems for more than 100000 players, that gives a ratio.

2 Likes

Regarding the general announcement. All sounds good from my perspective.

Talking with other faction members, the general consensus is that most excess EPIC weapons in OCD will be let go (wiped)- as they are not overly difficult to replace anyway in a season, the loot tends to build up in home bases!

Other than than a little re alignment of OCD and all is good. Actually the main item which is generally agreed, was protecting the Alien cores! :grinning:

As to the universe design, I’m very in favour of smaller and more custom. A large random generated universe is a product of the vanilla game - any single player or small online server can run the default universe generator. Don’t get me wrong, I can see the value of a casual exploration game, (actually I like the playstyle myself) but that is already served by the standard servers/single player game. HWS is different from Vanilla (It is original), it also has the largest number of online players, so must be designed with server performance and unique custom content as the key attributes. I think the universe changes should support, the HWS difference to vanilla Empyrion - which is why I am in favour/optimistic.

3 Likes

It’s all good. This was my first season here so I spent a lot of time just trying to get enough backup resources to make sure I didn’t lose it all while going out exploring. The constant disconnects and bugs forced me to stop exploring all together. So I get that the game is not able to handle the 7k but down to 20 at week 7 is just not enough. Everything will already be found, marked and farmed after the morning reset.

As to PvP, if this community had less toxic people on that side it would probably be fun. Between chatholes and the ganking, it is not. I finally jumped on board this server and became a patreon this season because the server finally gave a way to have some distance between the 2 unless you really wanted it. Some great people to chat with, amazing missions and exploration (for some of us) with the ability to head to PvP when ready. Looks like that is going back to the way it used to be. I avoided HWS due to the way it was and that is of course on me and me alone.

I’m not going to bail until the new season starts and I can see what Rex has in store for the server. My opinion in the matter, right or wrong, means nothing as I can find elsewhere if this isn’t the place for me. I am good with that. Just venting some frustration and it could be premature at that.

=)

I vote for just “HWS 1.0”. For the next major update Empyrion puts out they will likely name the release something like “1.1”, which you could do as well and be in line with them. I feel like that is less confusing, especially for new players, then to have a large number like 14 when the game is on update 1.1.

I also don’t get why we are so stuck on the 3 month season thing. Why not just line up seasons with major updates? What happens if you reset in month 3 and then a week later a major update comes out that you need to wipe for to make compatible with your server? Due to the nature of the game, I feel like keeping seasons in line with updates makes more sense (even if that means overly short or long seasons sometimes).

Guys, ask yourself a question: Why were there more players on this server last season than anywhere else? Asked? And now the answer - Because it was the only server with a huge number of stars !!! where everyone could find a corner.

And now I will reveal the secret why the developers are ending the season and trimming the galaxy to 20 stars. The answer is simple. The RED clan has stopped playing, the poor pirates have no one to eat. And now we are back to forced PVP, or rather all of you, most of the players, are again preparing the role of feed for PVP fans. BORING.

I want a galaxy in which I fly wherever I want, in the company of friends, and whether I participate in PVP or not should depend on my desire.

1 Like

Hmm this is hopefully not the reason :stuck_out_tongue: HWS has been the top empyrion server basically forever. Not just last season. We’ve gone more than 11 seasons without 7000 stars and no problem. And the reason they’re being removed next season is because they cause tons of performance issues and bugs because galaxies aren’t ready for multiplayer.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t directly related to the full wipe, no :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As far as the progressive naming, I think it makes more sense to continue in sequence with HWS 13. To me it’s more of a season count, not stayin in line w/ Eleon’s decisions.

For the wipe, I’ll blanket the whole debate. Just nuke it all (save donor/patron stuff). Total server reset. I’ve stated before my feelings on the OCD in terms of PvP, but it also effects PvE to a lesser degree. I think if ever a time to do it there was, that time is now. (To others, don’t bother debating me on this, it’s been done, done beating that horse. This is my opinion, not opening up dialogue here.)

I definitely feel ‘quality over quantity’ is the way to go, given the terrible RNG of systems. I seeded dozens of new galaxies, and they were all equally terrible. Much better to have cherry picked playfields that people find engaging and enjoyable than pointless empty space.

I’m curious for more detail on the new plans for PvPvE, though. I see new PvE focused stars, and PvP ‘benefits and events’, but details are needed on this one. The PvE feels very ‘solo w/ chat’ right now, especially with the vast emptiness of the galaxy, so hopefully the fewer planets dials that in, but with a planned influx of new players, many who are likely to be new to Empyrion in general, the PvP side will definitely need attention. It’s a very toxic environment and a solid deterrent of new players. I can pull any number of instances from the Discord to back up that statement, so there’s no debate there, it’s toxic. Empyrion inherently has broken PvP, adding toxic players that just makes it exponentially worse.

I’m excited to see what HWS 13 looks like, I think given Eleon’s handling of things the HWS team has worked miracles, but you can only do so much to make a broken mess enjoyable for everyone.

3 Likes

For PvP, I wish you had to choose a PvP flag on your character creation. Meaning PvP all the time, everywhere. Could still have some planets and space that flags everyone entering (and unflags you on leaving) but for the hard core PvP’rs they would have to watch their back in ALL playfields, 100% of the time. Would give them more fights and more to do, I think.

XxSTOZZYxX, there is plenty out there to read that points to how toxic a segment of the HWS population is. It helped me avoid HWS til now. Problem is, that same toxic BS that is out there to be read may attract even MORE of those same types. So it is a double edged sword to be sure with the public release and what Rex has built here that beings in people.

1 Like

Mid- endgame seems an awful choice currently in between:

*Grinding away for hundreds of hours PVE
*Joining the biggest clan who control GG to be able to mine.
*Building a crappy tier 1 SV and ganking/ looting unaware, defenceless people (a’la toxic Pestboy on EU server)

Would be great if there was a negative aspect to ganking, e.g an auto bounty system if you decide to prey on some defenceless miner/explorer in pvp systems. Would make you a true pirate and you are flagged by a sector scan with your bounty amount (but like jedi in Star Wars Galaxies)

Already exists :slight_smile:
https://empyrion-homeworld.net/hws-connect.html#page-hunter-board

1 Like

I know there is a bounty system but it is not automatic it requires an amount manually added by a player.

Also I saw people place huge bounties of tens of millions on one person I’ve already mentioned but when checking the hunter board they were nowhere to be seen so maybe not working as intended.

1. Voting for HWS 13 and continuing with as exact preset cycle as possible instead of trying to follow Eleon :+1:
  1. Devices are not moved into rare category? I tried to split some of my device stacks to make sure, but they still stack all the way to 200k :smiley: Idk if intentional, but maybe if parts are limited to 100k, so should devices?

2. What about EB’s upgraded during this season? Most players upgrade EB as an investment, aimed to make profit during the 90 days. I doubt anyone (non-donator) would have upgraded their EBs if they knew the season would be cut short this much. Some (especially of the newer) players might lose big sum of legit credits they intended to invest for better future.

I think this was all for now :thinking:

2 Likes

Your teammates were camping HW gate just the other day. Howie saw as well, not just me…

Camping the gates is legal. Camping the warp ins like Razathul had said, is illegal. You can supergate into places with shields on.

Ah sorry, misread what he typed.

I vote for hws 1.0.
Let’s have a clean break,
I dont mind loosing everything and starting again from scratch if that means all the cheaters and explotiers loose everything and cannot get it back the same way again without tripping alarms, else it’s kinda pointless.

I’d say make a few playfields ocd blackspots too, so people have to play the game with all its intended mechanics.
Logistics and so on.
Don’t think anyone cares about having more planets than can physically be explored within the 3 month season so that’s not a loss either.

Gotta say I did like the wierd hard-core weights and volumes that were at the start of the season too;
You should need to build a heavy machine to move 40000 2x2 steel blocks. Not be able to pick them up by hand then also struggle to jump on a 4g world without breaking legs.
It was good having to pick ammo loadout more carefuly than just slapping a few thousend of everything in and calling it a day.

We should also test pvp with some big battles to get the weapon config set as well as possible for frame rates, regarding any changes from vanilla values on fire rates and projectile speeds.

2 Likes

Personally I like HWS Season 13, but it’s going to start getting silly (HWS season 34 ect) so 1.0 might be the logical choice.

To respond to some ideas put forth by other posters:

" I refuse to be drawn into the gankfesttoxicahole systems because there are no other choices."

“Love the Ideas presented. The reduction in Systems to 20 will be cool with the knowledge of Larger Sectors within the systems. It will balance it out. I just wish there was a way to stop the gankers at warp points. Just my two cents. It ruins the PVP side if you get killed before you even have a chance to defend yourself.”

Truly spoken like people with no real PVP experience, this is a common sentiment from those who don’t actually learn the map. I don’t mean to be hostile, they are views we have seen many times before from those who don’t know the map/understand the rules. Fear of learning is a bad thing.

“Chaotic, it may be illegal but it happens, enough to keep some people out. Also agree with Bob, remove the damn shield limitation on warping. Why should anyone have to jump into a system, that should NOT be but is, camped and have no chance to get a fight going?”

Again lack of understanding, K-warps can’t be camped so no shield, Supergates can be camped and do not require loss of shield. Don’t make running away any easier, it’s already bananas easy to avoid PVP

“Although I did not have time to explore the stars in HWS12, I hope you will consider the number of starsystems to be a bit more than 20. I know this is performance issues being fixed, but theres a big gap from 1000’s to 20. :wink:

Please no, the reduction is absolutely needed to maintain server health. This season has been a wash due to bad optimization of the galaxy feature. Maybe not so bad against POIs but for PVP it is a nightmare.

"For PvP, I wish you had to choose a PvP flag on your character creation. Meaning PvP all the time, everywhere. Could still have some planets and space that flags everyone entering (and unflags you on leaving) but for the hard core PvP’rs they would have to watch their back in ALL playfields, 100% of the time. Would give them more fights and more to do, I think.

XxSTOZZYxX, there is plenty out there to read that points to how toxic a segment of the HWS population is. It helped me avoid HWS til now. Problem is, that same toxic BS that is out there to be read may attract even MORE of those same types. So it is a double edged sword to be sure with the public release and what Rex has built here that beings in people."

Well honestly if you think HWS is toxic you should try playing any other PVP game, HWS is the kiddy pool for online trash talk. And PVP flag? Its called staying in PVE, no one is making you come to PVP. This is another common one from the PVE-ers, PVP is high-risk high-reward, more resources and better POIs in exchange for danger, it sounds like you want to be handed everything on easy mode.

5 Likes

This is a survival game. Like most new guys who immediately complain about PVP and how things should be within weeks of joining, I feel you will not be here long. Nothing has ever forced you to come to PVP since I have been here so there has always been a place for guys like you to stay in your “safe space”.

…Safe Space…

1 Like

I also don’t agree with the Eleon decision that shields have to be deactivated in order to warp anymore.
It made sense before we had the mechanic where you can’t warp away after taking damage.
It made sense before the weapons were balanced to where you basically need shields to have a chance at surviving for more than a few seconds in battle.

Lets also not forget the fact that when you warp your ship can be attacked while you are still loading in.
Unfortunately I don’t think it’s something we can change with the config file. It would have to be Eleon to change it.

2 Likes