HWS 4.0 universe feedback

Hey everyone,

so a period of time has passed and almost everybody was everywhere. Even on X7!?
I need to see how much I will change the current universe. Where are pros where are cons.

Let us think a bit and write a feedback please?! :slight_smile:

Before some thoughts from me:
Creating an universe is for me as a quite good chess player like a chess game. I need to think about the early, mid and late game. I need to take as many things into consideration as possible. From plants, coordinates, planet type up to how many resources, how much and where to to place.
How may biomes, what drones, what routes to fly, where will be problems later on, what general theme / idea etc. Etc.

Creating this kind of universe takes 1-3 weeks to build for me.
I think the current universe is quite good but personally I want to change:

• more fly route possibilities to prevent clashes (this will be soon even more problematic)
  • better playfield names
  • faction cluster systems instead of just one planet to have more room and options (with 5.0 maybe your mind will blow anyways regarding this)
  • more ways to play with the pvpve rotation system. It will be more dynamic and less fixed. So there will be ways how to influence the switch to PvP / pve
  • less overall resources. Pvp should be done more for territory / resources again and not for just your amusement

I am still heavy limited due the performance regarding the size. But what do YOU think?

• is the current size too small to big?
  • what about resources?
  • what about general planet stuff like gravity / biome? Resource planets have a high gravity for example
  • what should be more improved with the universe: early, mid, late game?
  • all good and chill more? x)

I know the biggest thing is the tax system but try to NOT talk about this. Because A) it will change with the coming cluster system a bit and B) it will be discussed on a different place at a different time.

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Yes to Faction Cluster systems but I think the resources are good the way they are, I have to travel to PVP zones to get Promethium, Zascosium, Neodymium, and Erestrum so that’s already fun and challenging for me.

Planet idea: Jungle planet, all trees, heavy fog and only small plateaus sticking above the trees so only SVs have clear spots to land, so factions have CVs in orbit and they take a shuttle to the surface? Maybe this world will have all manner of medicinal plants (particularly alien plasmas) but all the animals would be predatory?

2 Likes

Overall the universe is pretty decent.

My remarks:

• NPC packages are too unbalanced. They must each be EXACTLY calculated down to every base resource in order to be fair for everybody including a limit to how much you can earn from it a day and trading with friends (giving credits back if they buy from you or the pingpong-game) should be forbidden. My current package stands no chance…
  • Well for PVE we have too many resources. But try to PVP with big ships, those things cost 6 figures in ingots each + ammo + fuel. But I agree it could overall be lowered a bit.
  • Universe size is okay. But without planet-instancing per faction or donator planets the planets themselves are too small / laggy and I just spawned a 6 figure ship and it’s tax is minimal because it has almost no devices, only tons of armor and tons of tri’s and other performance draining blocks on it for clients.
  • Donator planets still get way more safe resources. People claim that you don’t need iron due to sathium bottleneck but this is not true. Our faction for example has an iron shortage and not a sathium shortage. Thus donator planet = advantage. I still am 100% sure these planets are pay2win with the current ruleset.
  • Right now PVP-ing only costs resources and reputation and you gain nothing from it. Even if you get some loot back the ammo cost &repair alone is nuts. Changing this to pure territory wars will only promote enormous factions to sit there. I should hire 30 people from India to play this game for me and occupy planet x.
  • Rule 2.2 should be changed. Right now it’s (possibly) not properly enforced by the new admins and it’s very confusing (can be interpreted in several ways).
  • Offline protection should be back for like 8 hours (a day max) with a 15 minute delay after logging out to prevent combat logging. This way guilds that are not online literally 24/7 through the entire night can also actually see their base in the morning. Killing bases when nobody is there requires no skill and not even 1 layer of armor on your vessel…
  • Limit pvp-bases on PVP planets per faction. The new meta: spawn as many cores as you can with 5-6 turrets on it. This creates an excess of cores and is an ‘exploit’ anyway because this purposely circumvents the turret limit on bases. Still not sure why this was even allowed.
  • Perhaps disallow digging attacks (unless the base is (partially) underground).
  • There is no incentive for the alliance to free planets of pirates because the traders won’t pay them anyway for it and it only costs them + the pirates take it back an hour later. Again, there is no gain and they are not big enough to occupy it like the pirates do.

[quote=“TRTH_Conviction, post:4, topic:2095”]Yes to Faction Cluster systems but I think the resources are good the way they are, I have to travel to PVP zones to get Promethium, Zascosium, Neodymium, and Erestrum so that’s already fun and challenging for me.
[/quote]I get the common resources from autominers and the rest I buy from the market from NPC traders. ART has an insanely good package for it that even yields you a profit. Ere/Za&Promethium should never be farmed manually right now. Even farming gold is way better and then buying the packages. The npc packages create yet another imbalance here for those who know it.

I know I sound very negative but I have no good solution to promote PVP with the current game limitations… There are so many basic features we need:

• alliance system between factions.
  • 10-second-warp-protection.
  • disallowing ships to re-enter the warp-point area after leaving it to prevent warp-camping even further and disallow BA’s to be built there (easy to implement).
  • turning Weapons on/of with just 1 button and possibly a 10 second delay in turning them on again.
  • better trade system
  • AI = joke and sometimes stops working entirely when the system is too overcrowded.
  • combat ships seem all to be about stacking armor layers and maxing out turrets&guns. And your cockpit can not even be exposed so 1st person fighting is also out of the question becuse we have no ‘camera-block’.
  • lag explosion bugs going 3-4 layers deep through walls forcing us to make ships even bigger.
  • a better way to defend bases while everybody is offline w/o using offline prot. It’s retarded that a single SV worth 200 ingots total can take down a BA the size of a deathstar (on planets) when that faction is offline.

[quote=“RexXxuS, post:1, topic:2095”]
less overall resources. Pvp should be done more for territory / resources again and not for just your amusement
[/quote]I still find it unfair for the smaller factions. Depending on how this is gonna be balanced they might be done for. There is no alliance to protect them (pirates dominate) and they can never ever beat the majority factions that win by size&activity&stockpiled resources. They get almost a million credits from the hws-gold-miner alone. Try to beat that with 1-4 players…

1 Like

Well, I got a few feedbacks after about 1 month on the server as a Trader. I know it’s easy to point issues, and not so easy to balance the game.

First, this is really hard for new players, because of

• server specfic rules like starting planet wipes, faction reserved planets and PVP/PVE switch. They should be more clearly explained at the beginning and in the F1 help. Server to player chat could help getting more explanation messages when we begin. For example this topic was really helpful and those tips could be written (spamed !) to new players with their name in the message (“Hey Haiken your planet Earth will be wiped in xxx hours, seek refuge in orbit or any faction planet”)
  • resources. Basic resources are easy to get. Problems start when you need Neodymium, or Silicon because, having no credits, you need to go to PVP Homeworld, with a basic ship and no weapon. Encounter any pirate and it’s over. To defend yourself you need ressources which you can’t get, or gold to buy a decent OCD and save your ores, which is no more easier to mine. Your only chance is to sneak during less busy hours, which is not so fun, after having learned OCD and blueprint spawn. Fighting is not an option because of huge unbalance with older players/big factions that are full of ressources and credits. I precise I find it no fun as a beginner, the fun starts when YOU have weapons too :slight_smile: Maybe one of the reasons behind this is having no silicon on earth.

As a Trader we are asked to trade, but this is not so interesting compared to mining Gold because

• common ressources like Iron or Copper are so easy to collect with faction planets and autominers that it’s barely worth the time you spend traveling to your autominers
  • PVP resources like Neodymium, Erestrum are as dangerous to mine than gold, and demand not so high either (you don’t need much erestrum for a big CV)
  • non renewable resources (fiber, egg plant parts, crystals…) can be collected easily… but the price and demand are so low that it’s not worth the time either (beginers that would need some have no money)
    It’s way more worth to wait for the weekly fa:supply package or mine gold and OCD all before you get caught or even wait your Gold AM to fill up.
    If resources were really scarce, and travel and transport were needed for trading, this would give traders a real reason to be, but not really at the moment I think.

This game IMHO is about building, exploration and fighting. We get a lot of fighting, no discussion, even though you stand no chance if you’re not in a big faction.
Exploration not so much because collecting 25 crystals to make 1 hop is boring… and unbalanced compared to players who managed to get AM level 10. More traveling means more interaction with people, and that’s what makes the game interesting.
Building… with taxes and crowded faction planets, no way. So yes I’d like to have more planets with people building mostly crap but sometimes something worth it. I’d like to explore and discover what people can do and get suprised by their bases and ships

2 Likes
  • I hate gravity settings on planets. Does it help balancing playfields?

• If you want some good names for playfields, why not use the stellar catalogs we have? Take the nearest stars of the solar system and known stars of andromeda:

(with names)

All M, K and G type stars are goods candidates.

Then takes any mythology and pick gods, romand gods are used for naming planets.

• I hate the homeworld system, only 1 ressource type for a planet is awful, instead make all planets have balanced ressources but one, an iron rich planet, a neodynium rich, etc… but not one ressource type planets please.

• I hate filling warp tank after every jump, it favors warp camping.

3 Likes

I obviously have an agenda here - but frankly finding CV PvP can be tough enough as is.

So how about this - each base core on the PvE planet increase the chance that it will go PvP next day. For example if it’s .5% per base and there are 20 bases, there is a 10% chance that the planet will turn PvP on reboot.

Percentages are just an example but maybe it’d make it more interesting and at the same time prevent base spam and ‘automatically’ fix it.

This is a really bad idea with how planets are right now. It’s too easy for one large faction to just go around spamming towers all over a resource planet and preventing anyone from taking a foothold. Planets get completely covered with crap like this: Steam Community :: Error - cost 640 rock dust - 300 cobalt - 290 iron - 170 silicon. It’s a joke. Similar garbage gets spammed everywhere and cleaning it up costs more in ammo and repairs than just ignoring it.

If anything I think rare resources should be more spread out than piled into their own individual planets to prevent Gold planet from continuing to be a special kind of shit show that it is.

I really really hate this. It results in SVs and CVs handing like crap - I don’t really get why you’d want this. It favors base spam and that’s not a game play style I enjoy - or even consider valid.

You’re doing something wrong. You can get all the iron you need at your faction planet in permanent PvE. You can set autominers on iron in PvE rotation and get more than you can use. If you have an iron shortage you are failing to use the PvE assets that this game provides to you and this is your fault.

What’s the confusion? Once you left. You don’t ever come back. Except to pick someone up. I am unsure how that’s confusing.

This is a pretty serious issue. I am unsure how it can be fixed though. If it’s possible to enforce 1 base per planet per faction rule in general, I think that’d be ideal.

We have a bad resource distribution. Not enough Sathium. Not enough Promethium. OK quantities of Iron. More of everything else than we’d ever need.

If you don’t have this - CVs become invincible. You can jump away from a fight and jump again and again till you lose your pursuer. Requiring a warp tank refill is needed to have any kind of CV combat.

As far as my own feedback

• Please make constructor speed faster if at all possible. We have 4+ constructors making large fuel packs 24/7 and it’s still not enough.
  • No PvE zones 1 jump from Homeworld. Elemental Market Place is basically the “HA CAN’T KILL ME!” zone right now for CVs engaged in Homeworld.
  • Get rid of the high gravity planets. I do not understand why they exist. They promote base spam and not much else.
  • Warp in points too close to PvE planets.
  • Far away planets such as Zuccria and Wijiro are pretty much dead it seems.
  • BC Autominers are too good. Newbies need to travel as much as rich players but getting BC for them can be a problem.
  • Newbie starter package could be better with the aggressive wipe schedule of starter worlds.

If you want fewer new players and small/solo factions to stay on the server this is the way to go, i play solo and i can tell you its brutal from time to time…
Large factions literally own resourceplanets during the times i can play, there is no way a single guy can compete with the resources and CR stored, if i lose my CV ive lost everything and cb:restart is all thats left, apart from the few items in OCD cause getting the CR to upgrade it takes forever…

The PVP on this server is something i dont get, ive been attacked by all different factions (i go as Alliance) Traders, Alliance, Pirates, Hunter, Lawless, u name it.
HUMONGOUS CVs, layers on layers of armor and endless supply of ammo for the maxed out guns makes my piece of junk as effective in combat as throwing snowballs on a Tiger tank.

As a single/small faction you can never compete with that, the pooled AM resources of a big faction is more than 50 solos can gather, making the rescources a PVP thing will make this huge difference even worse and will discourage new players.

Bigger is always better! only performance issues tough…

As stated before, being new here and solo is brutally hard sometimes, its easy to lose everything to random PVP when u go offline or just get attacked for no reason, PVP seems like the only thing most people do here, especially against lonely/small ships for some reason.

Early needs improvement, maybe 1 or 2 more starterplanets to prevent the crowding and overbuilding, after you leave the starterplanets it can take weeks if not months to gather enough rescources during the pvpve circle to get a somewhat descent CV and SV to sneak in to homeworld, mine like a maniac before humongous CV eats you…

Time constraints being what they are, I’ll have to return to this later and give it a second reading.

Player comments seem good and useful.

Looking forward to putting my 2 measly cents in.

Gold Zasc and Eres are only available by braving PvP territories or via the Market.

The rest is available if you’re willing to work for it / deploy and collect from AutoMiners.

Seems like a solid system to me and as a non-pvper / Trader, I don’t feel as though I am forced to PvP.

Tweaking the PvE/PvP rotation scheme so that players can affect the change sounds very interesting.

Also - somehow allowing the player population to reset (via vote) a bugged playfield sounds like a good idea as well.

Don’t knock it. Rex pitched the concept.

I’ll be back LATE tonight… I hope.

i would like to see a more safe area, a planet to land on, and get resource then leave and stay in orbit with a capital ship. dont really need to have a base on the planet, or maybe supply space stations like the free stuff on planet earth. or maybe a area playfield where offline protection works… some of us cant play every day. hard to come back online to see everything gone. the offline protection was made for a reason, and its turned off on the server…really dont know why…

It’s turned off on this server because people were using it to exploit (setting offline bases around their real base so that the online base would shoot back and be invulnerable).

You have two choices to be safe:

1. Park on a PvE world and pay taxes for absolute safety
  2. Park 40km out from the neared planet for relative safety.

I think a simple way to solve the problem of not having a pve interchange of the players field of rotation with and milky way and other planets in the wipe of Friday, would be to advance the schedule that Jagal and Fierralur change to pve, that would give a zone of Enough time zone so that players who do not like pvp have a safe harbor and continue their little lives … it does not have to be a long time something like 3 hours before the milky way wipe, which at berlin time would be 7 in the morning, I think this resolves the crying of most pve players and should reduce overcrowding on the faction planets …

This can still be used on the rotation planets during the week but with a shorter interval of between 2 hours and 1 hour …

Some of my thoughts are already voiced, some opinions I disagree with, but I won’t reply to specific comments as it would be too much flood as those are opinions in the first place.

• PvE Resource deposits should be much larger but fewer in number. Now faction planets favor those who got there first and managed to place their autominers before the ores are mined out.
  • Overall ore balance is good. Silicon, cobalt and copper are plentiful, but I don’t think that can be considered a bad thing. Those are basic resources and should probably not be deficient. Iron is used a lot for combat steel, so that evens out it’s hight availability. Sathium is mined quickly by hand, so that somewhat satisfies the need for it. Maybe there should be more of it in the starter systems so that new players can make money on it more easily. Neodimiun is not an issue since it’s use is very limited. Zascossium and Erestrum are hard to mine, but it doesn’t look like anybody actually mines them at all (see below).
  • NPC packages are disruptive to the balance, because there is practically no limit on what is in the package. Guideline-style rule of “thematic” packages is not useful in economic terms and is not really followed (ores, food and weapons in one package - easy!) I’m not against their owners making money, but more than 90% of promethium, zascossium and erestrium (by my estimate) is not mined but instead appears from unlimited-depth NPC pockets. The same (though to a lesser extent) goes for gatherables (fiber, alien plasmas, egg plant parts, etc.) and sathium. There was a discussion about this issue here.
  • I mostly like the universe, especially a few hiden gems, which I wouldn’t point at to avoid spoiling them for other explorers. The warp point collisions though are an issue. I had a couple warp-point encounters, which were not intended by either side. Considering the present bugs when player can be disconnected during warp and/or left behind, it is needed to make warp-exits safer (I specifically find warp-camping aliens a bad desicion). I do not understand why the warp exit point should be fixed at all. If it could be made a random point within 30kmx30kmx30km cube or so, camping would no longer be an issue and warped ships without a pilot would be harder to find to marauders.
  • Alliens are still underpowered and pose no real challenge. I don’t know what can be done to power them up, especially in terms of a specific server, but they do need an upgrade to pose a threat beyond the level of spiders.
1 Like

Regarding the salient points:

Universe size is good, though I think more planets per system for the swapping systems would be good.
Related: spread ‘key’ resources out to prevent everyone from dogpiling a single planet/system into oblivion. Two gold planets in two different systems would be awesome. Less amount of gold per planet but same amount of gold overall.

Basic resources are fine, though this is partially because autominers are a huge boon. Gold needs spread around a bit, Sathium is alright (easy access for new people would be something to think about) Promethium is a pain both because everything uses it and autominers suck at gathering it.
No one really works for Erestrum and Zascosium though. This is more a game design thing than a universe thing I think since they’re only used in high-end weapons and advanced constructors.

Planet variety is nice, high gravity is more annoying than useful though since as said above it mainly promotes base spamming.

Early game needs some access to mid-game resources (sathium, some zascosium and erestrum,) mid-game is alright, late-game resources need spread around a bit to prevent them being dogpiled.

PvP for territory/resources is well and good, but the nature of base spam makes that an annoying prospect.

1 Like

I like this universe…best one yet

Love this idea tremendously.

Thank you all for your feedback! It is really helpful and I am collecting everything and think very good about it.
Appreciate your support!

1 Like

Rexxx i think one thing needs huge improvment.
Limits, limits, restrictions and limits but somehow simple. When i see how much time it takes for ships to load i feel like i want to cry. Then there are fights of invisible ships as I saw today on SWP video, zappe21 screenshot and in many other cases. That leads to acusations of cheating and so on. Everyone is pissed of as you get lagged, bugged and killed.
I dont belive much that number of blocks isnt issue at all, that its only devices and cores. Blocks must be easier to handle thats for sure, but size matters, dont belive what they say :slight_smile: its pretty much logical.
Devs told they optimised it, well, not enough yet, thats clear. I think you walked too long way to put limits in 3.0 and you throw it away in 4.0 as you hoped they wont be necessary. They will and probably always will. Ppl will build to the limit, always. Someone will always try to “max it”. Other one will get killed by ship with 6 layers and maxed guns so he will build ship with 8 layers, other one will counter with 10 layers.
Nice example is SWP, they build in size of Mother Russia and then fly in squadron with these ships, game is not able to handle that and it creates drama and its long time ago you enjoyed your popcorn and smile as noone can eat popcorn all the time.
Set such limit that SWP would be able to fly around together while when you will meet them game wont get f up so much, they are ideal as meassurement. They always was since 1.0, everyone was acusing them from cheating as there is so many of them that they was always creating lag thus bug.
It wont be “smooth” until you will set no. of blocks to 15 and 2 cores per playfield but this needs improvment i think.

And i realy like what Mordgier wrote, cores per faction. Limits, limits.

Btw i really find all homing crap so disgusting that i dont even have words for that, i would turn it of or left for BA only(and by bases i dont mean core with homing turrets). Quite a last drop for me, I loved old WW2 dogfighting + no weapon convergence, but thats probably something which wont return and im probably quite alone in this :slight_smile:

Oh and set OP to 15min delay :yum: Good luck!

1 Like

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

I think, we need some purpose except of hoarding credits and resources. Lets create some goals:

Faction goals:

• For Traders: number of resources delivered to NPC somewhere in universe
  • For Alliance: Hunters and Pirates killed
  • For Pirates: Number of traders and alliance members killed
  • For Hunters: number of kills

Faction rewards evaluated weekly, different per achievement level:

• Amount of taxes on faction planet
  • Maximum number of bases for faction on faction planet
  • Discount from market fees for faction
  • Discount from NPC trader packages for faction
  • Increased productivity for auto miners for faction
  • Access to some planet with rare resources/plants for week

Planet goals for planets not dedicated to faction:
Planet could have NPC on PVP orbit, who will collect contribution resources/gold and winning Faction could achieve:

• Lower taxes for faction on planet
  • Increased Maximum number of bases for faction on planet
  • If winner is different from previous week winner, planet is PVP for two days.

Personal goals:
Lets evaluate top killer, top trader, top miner and give them rewards

4 Likes

Think is that kills aren’t trackable right now.

If they could be tracked the whole Trader killed Trader thing would never have been an issue.

Current kills seem to track PvE kills and so on. So unless you want Hunters to be Raptor Hunters it doesn’t work.

Pirates need not kill anyone at all - they just want loot.

I’d love it if there were rewards for PvP - but given the limitations of the game currently it’s not feasible.