HWS Config | Gameplay Changes Part 2

What has drill performance to do with lags during pvp which are actually the problem? I havenā€™t noticed any serious lags (besides microlags) while mining.

Only lag problem related to ā€œminingā€ I see is that many weapons still damage terrain during fights.

Having said that Iā€™d prefer HWS config to differ from vanillia as little as possible because things like different thrust values for engines or different material weights make it much harder to design stuff for HWS.

Terrain rendering is the problem.
The big 30 player PvP fight on Golden Globe for example.

If drilled chunks are rendered and derendered all over the place, it is similar like DSL. A big strain to performance.
And to drill so crazy much, the boosted Drill changes motivated players to do so.
But also turrets with a reduced ROF do stack up a lot if 10 HVs, with 30+ turrets are shooting at the same time with changed values.

Itā€™s all a fact and benchmarked, so I keep it short.

Yes I know. Some do not like it. But that is always the fate of someone trying to improve.
If I would not do what Iā€™m doing, there would be no Marketplace, NPC Trader, Gold, Missions and more in Vanillaā€¦

1 Like

Like Taco also said, you didnā€™t mess up.

You did what you could to make the best server possible, and itā€™s easily the best server in the game, with highest player count as well. And you didnā€™t achieve that by being similar to vanilla.

1 Like

Alfa10 is one big lag :grinning:. Rex you have good eu sever ( powerful) and on a10 his working likeā€¦ . 30 ppl on gg? You remember event ā€œ kill rexxxus ā€œ how many players ? 60 ? And no crashes

1 Like

@RexXxuS , your work is incredibly! You could not have known this was a issue. Plus, telling by the reaction of the community, it seems no one really noticed it.

I do have a few questions. Iā€™m a Military man, so I appreciate direct and blunt! When you say weapons going to more of a vanilla config, are you taking about damage, reload, rate of
fire, distance? Did your you damage model, e.i. pluse ultra effective on shields and so on, change as well?

Try reading here :wink:
https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/hws-config-effectiveness-weapon-system-ews/9161/44

How about revert weapon and turrets quantity to Vanilla?

Forget the ship, hv. Take assault rifle and go in pvp. No lags at all :joy:

I appreciate all the time and effort you spent on this Rex, but after discussing it I believe you should also up the damage slightly to compensate, unless reload times are 0.01 minutes, that nerfs HVā€™s Bases and SVā€™s more than anything else, most large battles last hours anyway. I flew a singular tank against 6 SVā€™s for 20 minutes last night and it held up the entire time. But I rarely got an SVs shields down because another would just tank for it. In total, I used that HV the whole fight last night. Almost 4 hours, eithout dying. It shouldnā€™t have lasted that long against 3 enemy bases 6 enemy HVā€™s and 12 enemy SVā€™s. (total number) I worry this will increase the SVā€™s ability to dive bomb HVā€™s and even increase the length of battles. When will these changes take place? Can you buff the damage output as well? Thanks. Correction, my HV should not have lasted that long. I enjoy long fights, I even wish it had lasted longer!

Large battles shouldnā€™t be made shorter if you ask me. Thatā€™s the fun about them, the fact that they last long.
Canā€™t expect big fights to be over in 10 min :stuck_out_tongue:

So actual problem is terrain being drilled in place where fights take place? Iā€™m afraid this will be the case no matter how many drills are allowed or how effective they are since people tend to drill near their bases

In that case I hope these changes make it into vanilla :slight_smile:

Also if effective ROF is nerfed then damage should be increased and/or some weapons (lasers) should have explosive damage added or fights gonna take even longer than now.

Reading the EWS changelog and this post, drill damage and cannon damage was changed, but everything else was ROF etc adjustments. Does everything else from EWS still apply like:

• CV/SV Pulse is Ultra Effective against shields
  • SV Plasma Very Effective against Hull Combat)

Or is that kind of stuff removed too? I know vanilla means default but I donā€™t know if you mean everything is vanilla now, except we have 10 drills instead of 6 and faster reload? Or, those specific things mentioned like drill damage/ROF have changed to vanilla, and everything else from EWS is still there?

Either way, I echo what others have said here. You didnā€™t mess up, just running the best Empyrion server out there, no big deal.

About lags. Little bit helps if server delete uncored sv/hv after 5 min

1 Like

litl

1 Like

5 minutes is a bit quick.

I say nay on the 5 min uncore delete. I prefer to get the fruits of labor in the form of SVs, CVs, BAs and HVs.

3 Likes

the problem with lag is the render of mined chunks? and how changing drill will reduce it? by making mining less atractive? I doubt that will work, perhaps the fix is instancing big combats some way, maybe separating the mining planet and the combat planet or forcing to combat on space trough gameplay.
Or counting the number of players and blocking terain mining and terrain loading after reaching a threshold

edit: Iā€™ve been mining GG surface for a while, seems Iā€™,m getting around less than 1/3 what I used to get, are you planning to decrease OCD price or balance gold value somehow? no idea how to get 700M in one season to reach OCD lvl 7, and with gold being so hard to get more it will be hard to save money between seasons

EWS got not changed.
The almost only change were done about ROF and Reload Time.
For Drills also the Radius and Damage.

That fights do take so much longer now is not really true. Example HV Turrets:

Left = old. Right = new.
Before the total time span for letā€™s say ā€œrockets in the airā€ were 9.9.
Now it is 10.
The gain you got in ROF got reduced in Reload Time. That system got applied here and there to give you an idea. The fights are faster but once you retreat for reloading the performance drain can cool down a bit.

The next revisit / benchmark of the Config will be damage.
The higher the splash damage, the more performance issues.
The sad fate of Voxel based gamesā€¦

Personally or maybe a question to the Community:
What do you think of the mechanic to have a Dual-System of Voxel vs Static Ships?
Letā€™s say in your home basis you can build your ship as right now.
But once you click somewhere ā€œbakeā€ or ā€œmaterializeā€, all the Voxel blocks get calculated fix with colliders, hitpoints and resources.
So in a fight you would fly with static models (like the Space Drones). If you damage a ship a global healthbar (like in Fractured Space) would decrease. Once ā€œdestroyedā€ (healthbar = 0) the ship canā€™t move anymore and you can loot it and ā€œdematerializeā€.
I roughly discussed it with Eleon and the performance gain would be over 10 times or so.
But probably off-topic hereā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think a health bar would be as satisfying as blowing away chunks of ships IMO. We are creatures of war; building things looks nice and makes us feel good, but destroying things makes us feel great! Best way I can relate is to build a demolition derby car IRL. Itā€™s a lot of work to do to get it to last in a derby, makes you feel good. Driving in the demo is a f***ing blast!

3 Likes

Whatā€™s wrong with Rex? nothing) Why are you looking for a problem where it is not) First, the game engine will not be good in multiplayer, now and hardly in the near future! Second, You have very weak server (FPS in weekdays and weekend days). Thereā€™s nothing more to add!