[POLL] What do you think about... performance and moles

Planets with bedrock do work ye to keep the digging low. Only one problem. If resource deposit can be mined and u are mining to the bottom of the deposit how do you get out? Not like the game has ladders yet =)

Deposits would have to be spawned on the surface and be higher than the bed rock so every thing above can be mined to trigger meteors and everything below can be secured for auto minerā€™s.

Iam doing that in a single player game to try it out. Bedrock adapts it self around the deposit so u can mine whole deposit

O damn this must be new it used to be un-mine-able if below. But that was 2.0. Hey have you tried page downing a base below bedrock i wonder if the bedrock adapts aswell.

Just tried and no bedrock doesnt adapt to the base

If they do this you can still plasma out the deposit to kill auto miners correct. A lot of people are anti them and mine out or destroy ā€œValuableā€ deposits to force people to get out and mine vsā€™s offline play.

1 Like

Aka @Obsey :smile: hahahaha.

1 Like

errr, twill be allot less ships being built with no autominerā€™s, not exactly feeling the no auto-miner options, im pretty confident itā€™s possible to optimise, principally the issue isnt that neptune is 223mb big, itā€™s the amount of that data that has to be sent to the player during their trips through it, I think perhaps a solution might be to create a low resolution area, providing a less detailed load, only loading the full version should the player be right on top of said area.

One other option would be batch processing, for instance all but the top say couple of layers should be batch, the idea is you can tunnel through said areas and hollow it out, but beyond the top few layers (to allow flattening dynamically) it doesnā€™t happen in real time, players can designate a given number of grids for terraforming possibly requiring a machine and resources of some kind and then once a day they can all get updated at once, then players will be able to download the area files once and only patch the differences, even then by using a low resolution layer they can download the low resolution version, and only players who truly explore the planet will end up with the whole thing, also it would only be necessary patch differences in areas the player visits further saving bandwidth, whilst still allowing players to dig out the underground base of their dreams.

It may be a good idea to have terraforming have its own interface to designate work, the issues are primarily caused by all areas being dynamically editable, sure that one can be fixed to, with the fastest SSD and server on the planet and heaping in more bandwidth :smiley: but not a sensible solution for those that arent large companies.

Question: Does option 3 mean that we donā€™t have any water or mountains anymore? I know it sounds obv but maybe this is not the case and slopes just become really gental or something.

Terrain will remain the same. Just wont be able to dig below it.

1 Like

Sweet! was hoping it wasnā€™t flat grass all the way!

I personally enjoy being able to build shallow bases and I would very much prefer at least 5 blocks of dirt to dig into.

I know one issue is that once someone digs into a planet that hole is going to stay there foreverā€¦ Wouldnā€™t the long term solution be to set a 6 hour decay time or something similar where anything outside of the fixed ā€˜anti-grief zoneā€™ of existing bases gets reset to stock? That way if we destroy a base its not just a hole in the ground forever but the world heals itself back up over the course of the day as it repairs itself to the original stateā€¦
IE The world should be a self-healing system ā€“ including resource deposits where people have to get out and dig holes for their resources and take more risk doing it. That being said, assign a health value to the stock world, and any addition or subtraction counts as damage, and the terrain will always restore itself back to whole every 24 hours.

Personally, I enjoy the OAMs, but the tier 1-3 auto miners should have their capacity nerfed heavily to hold say 999 resources. Keep the rate the same, but it becomes an active game of ā€˜use it or lose itā€™ rather than the log in every 12 hours to receive your paycheck.

We need to stimulate the in-game economy and at current state resources have almost no value.

3 Likes

Heck if we are going with option 3 then go all the way! remove everything and just give us lifeless marbles to build on.

Who needs grass, trees, critters, immersion. CSGO players unite! Tear down al that is glorious and beautiful!

Sorry saw the end of the road. It doesnā€™t look pretty and I definitely donā€™t want to head there.

2 Likes

We donā€™t really need endless performance boosts, have to draw the line somewhere.

Option 3 as stated allows for digging. It just doesnā€™t allow for overhangs. You can dig holes, but not tunnels. So you can countersink your base, but the top will still be base, not dirt.

Option 3 does not mean completely indestructible terrain, as I understand it.

I thought I would share my personal opinion on this after reading all the posts.

In single player digging in my eyes is very much a big selling point. Its like any great open world game, the more choice and options open for you to explore the better.

I remember when I first start playing I built underground not for protection, but because I wanted to.

A lot of game offer prefab spawns that are click and drop on terrain which is fineā€¦but once you have the option to customise where and how you build I donā€™t think you can take it away.

The question is would this effect the single player game in a negative way. Yes. The 3rd option takes away something that has always been in egs so from a standpoint of a business point of view I believe eleon would be cutting into their single player market if they were to go 2d terrain.

I mean do players in single player struggle alot with performance issues when it is just them playing? Likely not. So the big question will beā€¦ Why? Lots of hate toward the multiplayer guys will come and people will quit Iā€™m sureā€¦ They will claim the game is going towards multiplayer and that is enough to lose a mass amount of potential players imo.

So that is from a single player point of view.

Now multiplayer, do we enjoy digging? Yes and noā€¦is it essentialā€¦right now kind of, bases with their current vulnerabilities and all.

If it didnā€™t exist that is was such a performance impact would you guys want it gone. Probably not.

The reality of it is that in multiplayer the single most important thing is performanceā€¦ Without it no matter how amazing a game is if your constantly getting 5fps, disconnects and error messages and lags its only a matter of time before the frustrations get the better and the game gets ditched.

So is it smart to remove something that causes the dramasā€¦ For sure, however, you need to be Damn sure it will improve things five fold otherwise it will piss a lot of players off and will it mean a loss of players for sure.

So here we are, you keep things the sameā€¦and you lose players due to performance in mpā€¦ You get rid of current way and you lose single player guysā€¦ You get rid and it doesnā€™t have a dramatic effect on multiplayer you also lose players.

The only solution to me, also a lot of others Iā€™m sure is choice.

For example in my head we can have a server where you have planets where you can digā€¦ But to keep in mind performance these must be planets that wipe. Even if it is every 2 weeksā€¦ They MUST wipe.

You have planets where the terrain does not damage.

SV fight planets, pvp hotshots etc Purley so those guys can have that pvp fun whilst trying to maximise performance.

You have a middle ground where the amount you can dig on a planet is restricted to x amount below the surfice so you can still dig in some BP etc but only shallow.

Essentially what ever way eleon decide to goā€¦ If they make this huge change it will be very definitive if there is no option for changes.

Again in my opinion this isnā€™t something that we should be deciding. It is down the eleon to sit down and go through all situations and hopefully come up with a best of both. Maybe it is option 3 and they go for 2d terrain so people can still dig to degreeā€¦but it then HAS to show very noticeable performance boost orā€¦ To the public single players they see a change that has come that make the game less enjoyable but with no benefit.

Hopefully I have shown from this that Iā€™m not biased towards a preferenceā€¦i am looking at it totally as a business stand pointā€¦what is best for the future of this game. Not what is best for one group of players.

As always choice, to have varying options will always win in my opinionā€¦but if itā€™s not an option itā€™s down to eleon to decided as they will ultimately reap the rewards or live with the regret of a decision made or not made :slight_smile:ļø

5 Likes

I agree 100% achillies maybe they find a way to implement the 3rd option in a way that you can turn on or off depending on server/planet and we all win.

1 Like

Option 1, for sure. (in my opinion)

Downgrading the graphics (option 3) would be a very bad move.

1 Like

You may want to read over it again. Option 3 would be basically 5 feet or so below the terrain will become indestructible, at most. More likely either completely indestructible, or a foot or two. This in essence means no digging. Being able to turn on or off is something that already exists, through the implementation of lucifer and gabriel. And is closer to option 1 really. Option 3 literally means remove it from the game, including singleplayer. Which is why I keep saying I think people are misinterpreting this poll, and its choices