[POLL] What do you think about... performance and moles

Yea and if it doesn’t change if we have enough ram it shouldn’t effect performance too much passed an initial load.

1 Like

Exactly. The problem is truing up all the deltas between the last time you were there and the current load. If that’s always the same, should be only having to update player assets (BA, SV, etc)

1 Like

Well you know me Rexxus. I love to drill. Shaping terrain is what sets Empyrion apart from any other game. Putting underground bases is my favorite. Attacking underground bases is my favorite. So if we can have a combo of drillable planets and non drillable planets that is kool. But to rid the game of totally of drilling…that just sucks. I know from experience that shaping the terrain does effect performance. Me and my faction mates have discussed it.

So here is an idea, maybe have a limit to how much terrain can be drilled. Example: Player A lands on planet B and starts drilling, he removes X amount of terrain to reach a maximum. At least let there be some drilling and terrain shaping, to remove it completely while may not be a game killer it will be a sorely missed feature.

And while I am far from a math wizard I think the triangle thing needs to be simplified and I am sure there is some Brainiac out there that knows how to do it, Eleon just needs to locate him or her :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surprisingly, we are on the same page on this one lol. I mentioned a way previously to retain drilling while cutting down on voxels, well two really. First would be to have the drill take more even chunks out of the ground, instead of the complex molding that is done now, that no one can take advantage of anyways since the drill is such a brute force instrument, or alternatively have a subroutine do a pass over the world file and smooth the edges after digging has been done. Say you have a large tunnel with a vaguely even floor/wall/cieling. I dont think anyone will be heartbroken if they come back to find that the wall was a good deal flatter than they originally dug it, and this would reduce the rendered triangles insanely.

2 Likes

Flatter walls in tunnels would be a lot better anyways, If you’ve ever shot out a tunnel with a plasma cannon you would know just how hard it is to run along the floor afterwards.

lol yup. Or just how frustrating it is to find out that one chuck the size of your thumb is stopping your ship from getting into the hole you dug for it…

1 Like

if you remove tunneling, then Base turrets need to get nerfed too.
but that creates another problem with defending against CVs.

tunneling into POI in early game is useful.
random tunneling, and massive holes made by people that do not understand how to control an HV drill is more of a problem.

I wouldnt want the feature removed from the game to appease a handful of PvP fights.
but there are a lot of tunnels that are pointless, and just a plain mess.

why not reset the playing field once a week like starter planets?

Exactly how much base attacking have you tried? lol. I dont think I have ever met anyone who thinks base turrets are OVER powered. especially in relation to cv in space. I am waiting to see how they handle now that rail gun sniping is patched out, but up until now bases have never stood a chance against a player who knew what they were doing.

context is early game, specifically trying to overtake a POI on foot, no sv, no hv just a drill and a gun.

At level 7 you can easily get a sv, and level 7 is still considered early game, and the smallest and cheapest of sv’s is plenty to take out any POI’s as they don’t use missiles.

1 Like

Hm… Don’t they :upside_down_face:

1 Like

So your complaint is that you are not able to destroy a POI, on foot. And the solution to that is to nerf bases? Ever think of maybe just bringing more firepower? I dont think this game was meant to have you be rambo and take on anything bare handed.

2 Likes

complaint? no.
100% able to destroy a POI on foot.
didnt offer a solution.
do not need more firepower, only necessary for easy mode.

it takes no skill to show up with a cv, hv, shoot a few rounds to take out turrets, blast through a few walls and destroy the core. it is a hell of a lot more gratifying taking a POI on foot rather than going in with a CV, which is more like a “rambo mode” than going in on foot.

the premise of the poll is that there should be a change to the core of the game to not fix, but alleviate some of the large bandwidth of files being transferred, which are larger because of tunneling. a lot of people got excited about this because it might help with lag shots… lets be clear, this is not a fix for lag shots in pvp, and it will not fix it, it will only lessen the burden of file transfer when crossing greenwalls, jumping to other systems. removing tunneling only removes options, I can agree to limit the depth of tunneling, but perhaps the real fix actually lies with eleon for finding and solving the issue at the core, rather than pick away at possible issues as a “solution”.

In their newest patch they already mentioned “fixed lag shot”, so we will see, there is many options in between tunnels now and no tunnels, I’m sure all options will be tested properly before any real major change is implemented so I wouldn’t really worry for now.

But nerfing bases is a no go, if 1 thing is a problem then that thing alone must be changed not something that is common between multiple things, otherwise they all have to be adjusted to re-establish balance.