Why Size Class?!?!?!

Hey everyone, I typed this here because I looking for the widest disimination of this content. I have been wanting to work on something like this for a while, and this is something I think needs to be discussed.

Multiplayer is fun, but PvP is something alot of players just do not want to get into. I think it is made a lot more complicated with the fact that Size Class system is Deceptive why telling players “BIGGER AND HEAVIER” equals better. When, size class really just tells you that amount of strain your ship, craft, or structure puts on your computer, the other players computers, and the server.

This video is not to bash Elon, but we are seeking to break down the Size Class system and see if we can get some thing either changed about it or something new that is more intuitive in nature and easy for ANYONE to have Great looking ships that PvP awesome and don’t lag up systems.

We are looking for Feed back, so please watch and leave comments!

it’s werid at first but helpful. shift right click with a block in ur hand to remove blocks. much faster than the multi tool. this allows u to undo accidents as well using the N debug menu. but yes size class is an odd measurement. it goes by how many triangles are displayed on screen. more triangles = tougher rendering. can have a tiny ship with a large size class.

I don’t mind size class. By hqving it, it requires some skill to build PvP ships, since you need to limit certain points because of size class. Also size class adds a great way to limit systems. If we get rid of it, ECC will be full of class 7 monster CV’s.

I have read it and also seen the video, and i’m kind of confused about what your points are here. Can you write down the three points in as short and as a specific a sentence as you can? “I’d suggest you write them from the most important to the least important please.”

From some of the things i heard on the video about new players thinking that bigger is better is just them not being educated on how pvp works on empyrion. Our job should be to better educate new players on how pvp works and i think @Zackey_TNT and a few other players have done a pretty good job. But the main fault for this is on Eloen Studios because as far as i know they don’t even have an official pvp building encyclopedia. Probably because they don’t even know themselves how to build pvp ships because they don’t pvp. You can tell this also because the updates are usually about single player pve stuff rather then optimization. But i think things might be changing for the better sense the more recent updates have been getting an increase on optimization. I keep my hopes up. :slight_smile:

The most important problem i see is pvp optimization itself, and then, only secondary on how pvp works. Like how hard it is to be in a battle without getting disconnected and massive fps drops. And this naturally falls on the shoulders of Eleon Studios. They need to focus as a main and most important priority on optimization, and then, only secondary, on esthetics.

Zackey’s Guide SV Design

1 Like

Part 2 to the Why Ship Class is out! Please post all your comments on the videos please! It helps!

Is this to start a discussion or to boost your Youtube-Channel? I think we got a very good forum here and some people like @Israel_T-C already asked some good questions.

4 Likes

I feel like Israel hit the nail on the head. Watching the videos I saw ramming (CVs are big, if the target pip is 300m away your probably inside a big ship) and talk of renaming a mechanic. I don’t know that we are playing the same game. I know HWS has a lot of custom config work and certain things are different (You seem to be on a server with forced exposed thrusters, and that ship you were fighting seemed to be a PVE ship) but the core game is the same. Changing what is arguably a PVE aspect of the game (The name of a mechanic, it could be Blorp Max for all I care) might not impact PVP as much as you think. I would strongly prefer the Devs use any time for PVP to improve something with a real effect. Like networking (Coming soon!) or the weapons rework for SVs (Coming soon ™ )

To address the point about Thrusters/Mass HWS has solved this nicely with Carbon/Xeno, and until the Devs changed the way thrust works (Single/Dual/Tri directional thrust being no different since 8.x I think) there was a bigger choice between tanky and maneuverable.

I hope I am not coming off too abrasive, but I went into watching that first video already worried about the typical Empyrion “PVP” discussion, which seems to almost always feature topics and suggestions that are in fact PVE. It worries me that the Devs take this to be a voice for all PVP players (And the updates and official forums seem to support that) To beat a dead horse, no more “Polished Zirax @#%$” until the core PVP mechanics are fixed please. :smiley:

3 Likes

2 words…hint brushes

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hint_brush

nah i think Whizz nailed it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for Pinging me, didn’t know this was a thread. I’ll repost what i said elsewhere (on a discord)

This is solely in reference to part 1 of this series. I will not be reviewing part 2.

4 Likes

@WhizZLe Well, no, I have been doing Youtube for 3 years. You can see I never really make videos that will boost my channel and I kind of take offense to such a claim. However, if I can get the video view numbers and comments, I was hoping to show Elon a appetite for such a conversation. With having this posted in 4 different forums, I pretty sure Elon is not going to look at EVERY single outlet I post this at for OUR collective ideas. I did this to start the conversation and give feedback to them in one location vice several spreaded throughout the internet.

As well, I’m currently in Africa doing Military Stuff, I will post my relay’s next Wednesday.