Abuse of PvP game mechanics

TL:DR
I actually think it’s legal. As long as they don’t let their CV get taken. If it gets taken then it’s a rule breach.
But better let Rex answer this.

This may be the case, I don’t know. However, going to be frank here and say it. That’s dumb. IF class 5 bases are allowed, I can see how they allow the timer as long as it isn’t taken. BUT we can’t defend a class 1 base against a class 5 for the 6 minutes they have before their kicked from atmosphere.

After speaking with a few other people, if we where allowed class 5 bases again we could - at least temporarily - fight back against this, because we can’t allow class 5 CVs but not allow class 5 bases and expect the bases to win.

I would also like to propose CVs do slightly reduced damage to base turrets and armored concrete, slightly below what it used to be. I know we have the option to build orbital bases, so we shouldn’t say they can’t do damage or they can only take out a turret after minutes of continual fire against it. How often do we see orbital bases or complexes though? Twice last season, one was a legitimate attempt to defend HomeWorld planet, the other was a group of CVs placed around the SV only supergate to catch anyone warping in.

I like that we have the ability, I won’t be placing any because currently (they aren’t as fun) they don’t have much use, CVs can take them down easily, especially these massive class 7 CVs.

Sincerely,

WillEatsPie

I’m just waiting for RexXuS to say the same thing about this that he always has, and that would be: “Gameplay wise you invest a lot of resources to build a big ship so it’s a trade off in war.”

This can be cited here: Attempt to sponge/shield with oversize CV in GG

This whole idea of making CV’s weak against bases? Hell no. I remember a time when @420Inc_Space_Ranger would put bases in Pandora Space, and then we would have to take 3/4 CV’s to take it out… oh wait, that was last season!

Lowering the ability of a CV once again, is a horrible idea.

What’s next? Remove ABN’s planet because nobody will contest it?

Also, do the entire server a favor… Quit with the forum PvP. Play the game, log some hours, and have fun. PS: It’s just a game… try and remember that sometimes.

3 Likes

Pandora is a planet, you can pretty easily take out as many bases as you want with CVs. As shown by the three Hercules and eleven Titans brought against our 6 bases and 4 players on Titan planet last season. They fell like they hadn’t existed. That was buffed this season, don’t think it needs to be buffed, quite sure it needs to be nerfed.

Never said u broke a rule… I did mention the floating fence made of triangle’s… could use solid block shapes but nothing against it in the rules unless we start having lag Generated from it… again, not against rules n so this whole topic Is over rule breaking but I don’t see which rule?? As for changing configuration/limits that’s a WHOLE OTHER TOPIC… Abuse in pvp is tough To call when it states the gloves are off in pvp. Must be a legitimate rule breaking. I haven’t even joined in on pvp na side. Not worth it… I’ll go fight the Russians on Eu.

1 Like

Will, that’s a whole other topic. Please stop trying to derail this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

That’s funny, because you brought up Pandora. This thread was made to discuss / report class 5s attacking bases, and it fits well within the parameters of the OP. I happen to know him well. :slight_smile:

OK so i was confused about this class 5 and GG and all…
i dono about rules and shit, but if GG is limited to class 1. Decent, self respectable fighters would go there in nothing more than class 1…
that’s about all i’m gonna say…
cheers!

PS: i was gonna work on dynamic event queueing and shit like that, but i need Rex guidance a bit… alas he’s too busy with … this?

1 Like

Lol very busy :stuck_out_tongue: as for respectable, tht fight was clearly over way before the scary class 5 came to gg n stood frozen for a duration of the time… BR event!? If only na would have players join… :confused:

1 Like

It is a downright clear violation of the rules. That screen on Golden Globe limits below clearly states that only a 150 block class 1 cv is allowed. And the intention behind that is for cv’s not to be used at all as a sponge when attacking bases. This is clearly stated by Rexx. And what makes it even worse is that they used a huge godmode-garage ship with turrets that can even fire on the bases and strip it of its defenses. So not only can this class 5 garage ship be used as a sponge but can also strip your guns off at the same time.

So i think the clear answer here is for the people who did it to be temporarily banned and for cv’s not to be allowed on Golden Globe at all. Not even 150 block cv’s because they will just abuse it. This way any cv on the planet will be instantly warped out so there is practically no way of abusing it any longer. Thats the best fix i see.

3 Likes

That class 5 was the turning point of the battle everyone! -_-“

(Assuming that comment is sarcastic)
It doesn’t matter, this was an ethics violation. If you used it then, then you will obviously continue to use it, the goal of this is to find a way to stop you from abusing it. Assuming it wasn’t the turning point it will be in the future, but that isn’t the point. The point is you abused the limits and Rex’s trust in the player base to FOLLOW DIRECTIONS a lesson you should have learned in kindergarten. (Although I didn’t learn it until second grade.)

If it makes you feel better, this was easily the turning point. We had lost maaaybe three turrets off all the bases combined, we lost all the turrets off two HVs but that’s because I chased FV all the way back into their base. (Which was fun) When I got back, we had almost all the turrets (as I said missing no more than three) and shields where completely full. The CV descended and without help from the HVs or SVs on the ground (I think an SV was fighting Cyan but everyone else was recharging shields and watching, I had been pushed out pretty far with my HV and had SV and HV support defending me, so the bases hadn’t been hit but enemy HV SV shields where low or down.

CV came in, got all three bases shields to 0, almost completely defanged the side bases, and shot a few turrets off the main base. We focused fire with HVs and SVs, but even after it’s shields where down it could tank pretty easily. (The class 5 CV part coming into effect here)

Ultimately, with the five defenders we had we could have easily outlasted the seven attackers. We even had another defender from OH coming and multiple allies on their way, we would have outnumbered ABN / FV, possibly moving on from our bases to assualt and take down their bases. The CV ruined our chances of winning the engagement, ultimately costing us the battle. Personally, I think it was pretty obvious we where going to hold there if there where no more attackers or defenders, with more defenders coming, we where likely to push ABN off GG.

Sincerely,

WillEatsPie

1 Like

these discussions are endless guys, there is potential for abuse due to time it takes to detect class size and kick it out… instead of bickering everytime someone abuses this mechanic, maybe lock these PvP sensitive playfields behind supergates… I think it’s possible to disable jumping on altogether with wrong size if we do that?
then again, a little patience and the cpu tier thing may solve this problem as well by limiting the tier by playfield…

u guys r making it very hard for me not to wipe all ur OCDs… (PS: THIS IS A JOKE!!! sad that I need to mention that!!!)

2 Likes

haha thank you! I work hard on OHs bases and though it might be effective to have tiny blocks as dragon teeth… I guess people are calling it chicken wire now

1 Like

That is incorrect. If you go back to alpha 2.0/3.0 era almost the entire XTE faction was temp or perma banned depending on there level of toxicity and if you look up XTE in search you will more than likely find that old post and some of the things they did that literally boiled Rexxus and Jascha over. Then in alpha 4.0 era there was the mass temporary ban of all 5AP members (almost 60 people) when it was confirmed that an illegal bp was being passed around. Most of the faction didn’t realize it and in the end only 2 members give or take were perma banned. I’m sure if I had time to backlog around 3-4 years of police reports we’d find a few more cases of mass bans temp and/or permanent. Should they all be banned over this incident, not sure. That is for someone higher up to decide. Not us.

Ozi if i’m not mistaken the cv in question is a garage cv fitted with hv turrets so wouldn’t it be like several tanks had just rolled up and fired?

Thoughts on solutions.

I’m not sure how painful the coding would be. So I will just suggest it and if it would be a coding nightmare many apologies. Its possible to kick/bounce all cvs from even entering a planet (imho anything around cruiser or below should be atmo capable, but i’d be happy with just a transport cv to bring hvs in on which is what I think the 150 limit on gg is supposed to be) then would it be possible to make it to where ships of unwanted/undesireable limits be bounced away from a planet? And since its possible for ships/hvs to up class size because of damage since this adds more triangles then when that happens give them a short timer to gtfo or take more damage to lower there count?

I also agree if the timer is the best way at this time that class 2 or 3 bases be considered. The argument of them creating lag is pretty much imho null and void if people can bring in oversized class vessels even if its for a period of time.

2 Likes

Hey Crazy cheers for the reply. Thanks for the knowledge! I didn’t realise there were other cases! Thanks for the clarification! Totally with you on the punishment thing as well, that’s the decision of the admins alone.

Also Will thanks for the reply as well, thanks for changing it.

Best regards
Wise.

2 Likes

Just as I said in so many posts, here it is yet again. Overclassed vessels entering GG, and it will be deemed fair play. Anymore I have to force myself to play honestly, nothing will change. We can change the base max size to 20, but it still won’t help, the turret loadout is the exact same. There should be a far more fitting punishment for overclass vessels, such as being automatically kicked to another playfield with a one way supergate and it’s at least 150k+ out.

But let’s be honest. A week later nothing will happen. So, I give up.

2 Likes

Hey,
sorry for the delay but I had to do some productive stuff first.
One of the most critical Alpha EXP release regarding CPU etc. is imminent.
I had to stop testing CPU and helping Eleon with balancing CPU in a good way for this drama here.

So while you can use the powerful search of this Forum I strongly recommend to check on the details exactly and do not come up with common “it happened 3 times already” stuff.
Each case was different, some of the linked topics even completely off topic.
Also do not put words into my mouth please which are not correct like

As I said, every time it was something different. Sponge for example is something completely different than what happened here.

Next thing: if there is a report where a player is concerned about something, do not bomb this Topic up to 90 posts please. It is causing just even more time investment to read all of that. Some of it isn’t even helpful…

To this case, which is in its own aspect new, I see it like that:

1. the HWS Garage ship Murcielago got updated just recently and is one of the most devastating CV > HV Turrets thing. It cost a lot so sponging with it like in other tickets complained is not the case here. If it’s “balanced” like this, up to Community to decide. But yes, in 10.6 you can dock HVs to SVs and as you know, this is the time where CVs have to say goodbye to PvP planets.

2. In terms of “what rule got broken” couple of approaches are being mentioned here or mixed up with situations happened in the past. Playfield limits are there for a reason right. And while not set to stone in our big rule bible, they are still there. Press M and you see it. See chat and you might read it.
    It’s like speed limits on highways in real life. They are there. Yes you can break them. Yes sometimes you get away with it. But they are still there. And you know, one day you will get caught.
    So the issue is plain and simple: our EAH tool is just too slow and there is nothing we can do to further improve it like recognize overlimit stuff faster. Warp ships out of the playfield right away. etc.

3. But is this enough to justify some “cheesy” tactics now? Jascha and I don’t think so. Furthermore we want to highlight

Definition : A Bug or Exploit, for the purposes of HWS Rules, is defined as “Any mechanic, whether executed in or out of game, which creates a condition that was not an intended functionality of the game OR HWS Server features.”

So we are walking on a thin path here. It is not intended to abuse the EAH limits like that to have a trump card against bases on PvP with limits. If you can’t win within the given limits, leave it or come up with another legit strategy.

4. Now what about the other use cases and what is now legit or not?
    I differentiate every time the overall interaction between the attackers and defenders. If you leave an overclass ship on GG to sponge damage and it got captured / destroyed by the enemy, I say it’s legit, even though breaking the EAH limits as well. But it’s a kind of balance where you invested in the sponge thing and the enemies in destroying it. Take and Give.
    But in this case here, where not only a badass Garage ship was being used but very precisely evaded our limit system three times, it becomes more of an imbalance and dedicated circumventing skill of our system… our “playfield rules”.
    Since it’s the real first time here which got reported I do not assume anything. I just hope ABN did their best to talk to Shmak and tell him to NOT do it, but he did nevertheless… who knows. If this happens again, I will assume all ABN were fine with it and so will be the consequence to all “involved” in it.

5. And I decide on overall gameplay impact. Was this fair now? Was the intention to find a loophole? Would the result be different if…? What if this becomes meta? Can this be tackled by gameplay? etc.
    Unfortunately this happened just before a major change of the gameplay in terms of HV>SV docking and CPU system. Still, please do not invest so much time in finding these kind of “tricks” to force us every time to invest tons of time to rework things, change things, settle dramas, etc.

As first reported incident @Shmak is set to guilty + in prison until tomorrow 6pm for rethinking his strategies next time and his CV taken and put to a forced auction for everyone free to bid. Starting bid is 50 million credits. See the details here: Forced HWS Auction 🔨 | Case Number 1
(since the general usecase would have been, that it would have been taken by HWS anyways.)

The forced HWS Auction is something new I came up (more or less requested in the past to do more of these Auction stuff). Hope it’s cool. Will see how it goes and decide then if this will be used all the time or not. Also a time sink for me but well, let’s see the feedback.

All of that being said: play fair guys :v:

Your HWS Team

8 Likes