Alpha 9 Preview

The only thing remotely nice to say after reading the official forums is thank you Rexx for your patience with them and for making this game playable in multiplayer. Because developers are certainly not focusing on that at all.

4 Likes

True — nothing yet, maybe in the things they havent revealed yet. Not holding my breath given the track record of past 2+ years.

Would like to see them fix dsl to live up to its promise, and fix the problems their turret anti-clipping ‘fix’ has created — to name just a couple issues.

And, lets add in — appears lag shots are as bad as they ever were (thinking about cv’s).

They really need to step back and have a serious look at what and how they are doing things.

Do they really have a workable plan to get to a finished game?

Territory control seems to be a PvP feature, and a very VERY good one at that.

2 Likes

Imagine it is already in game @Quasar and others: how would the specifications of that feature look like (just wondering myself or in case it will be configurable)?

Who comes first, wins? How to get the territory back? What if one big faction claims the whole planet? Why should players claim a territory? How to defend a territory? Etc.

1 Like

I was hoping it would be something like aggressive Zirax held Territory with AI troops on the ground continuously pushing for control of more zones “and that’s just on the PVE areas” for a start

Yeah I want it for PvE too. Don’t really care about pvp tbh.

So you can’t mine resources until you take over the areas. Then you have to defend the area and your autominers as the NPCs attack each day at 9pm or something.

It would be good for pve players to get them back in to the mind set of putting up defences and having some sort of threat to keep them focused. “it is a survival game after all”

Territory control seems like a fun feature for PvE and PvP.
There are several ways it could work amazingly. Has anyone ever played planetside2? That game deals with territory control in the best way. And encourages players to keep fighting for more.
They offer certs, needed for different types of advancement when capturing territory and when they get the whole area they get a big reward of certs. Certs can be substituted for RP in our case.
That is just the start, when a group captures a whole planet it then resets.
That being said if you come up with a way to reset territory then we could have some good PvP all the time fighting for strategic areas on planets.
I was thinking we can get something like 10 RP for each captured PvP territory and 100 for a full planet capture. This is per player for the group that owns it.
The reset could be done at the end of the day or when interest comes in or even when the server restarts.
If using RP as territory control rewards it makes those HWS ingots even more valuable.
This gives much incentive to actually fighting.
For areas that have major restrictions to the size of sv and hv and bases, this would really make things more interesting by making players on foot able to do much more than they could before. This would make the PvP more dynamic. So HV and SV are just tools for getting from one area to the next. Maybe offer special PvP SV HV that can only be bought with RP on those planets with pvp territory control. And prevent spawning of personal blueprints. As for bases make those builders league and make them restricted to class 2 or 3.

Territory would also be great for sovereignty so there’s traders there for example in safe zones maybe and you get a cut from those and are able to impose taxes etc I don’t k is if that sort of thing needs a much bigger universe though to be really effective

The meta it encourages is 2 large factions or alliances. Small factions may be able to poke and run from whoever holds it. Many wont be interested in committing to hold territory.

Requires huge commitment of time and resources – pretty much 24/7. That is hard to generate and sustain for long periods. Players burn out or get bored of the constant repair grind and feeding in resources. Or being ‘on call’ ready to drop whatever they are doing (in game or rl) and come to defend at moments notice.

Maybe setup one planet only for this purpose. In some respects — this is what gg has been from time to time.

What would possibly make it interesting is if a new set of features is developed specifically for this purpose. Ability to raise and deploy units of alien mercenary npc fighters for example. Then perhaps, faction size, or number of players available could be less of an issue.

Better control to fight on foot would be helpful. Crouch, roll, crawl, lean…camoflage, etc. would be interesting. Fighting on foot with current lacking abilities gets boring fast.

1 Like

Not sure what incentives would take to gain player commitment.

Many players who have been around for a while — more gold and resources dont provide an incentive. New gameplay might.

Thought of many after several seasons of take and hold gg (successes and attempts) – is to not care who holds it and instead focus on other aspects of game play.

Much of player base is adult with families and jobs — 24/7 commitment not possible. Although some come close at times.

2 Likes

Just with a quick glance, I feel like RP would be a nice reward for holding onto land. Much like HW is set up now. Other mechanics I’ll have to give more thought on.

1 Like

It could be done similar to Warframe. Here is a quote of what i mean:

“The Tenno Conflict ends when the occupant’s Solar Rail has been destroyed (when its health drops to 0%), or at the end of the 12-hour conflict period. If the occupant’s Solar Rail has not reached 0% health by the end of the conflict, the occupant wins. The victor’s Solar Rail will then become the sole method of accessing that Dark Sector. Afterwards, the Solar Rail will be put under armistice (protection from another conflict) for 48 hours long regardless of the winner.”

So what this means is that the winner of the conquest of territory can impose taxes or whatever method of tribute on players who want to pass or farm in their territory. And their territory cannot be attacked for another 48 hours. And the window of attack is a 12 hour period. So this means you don’t have to no life it.

I kinda thought that the LAND CLAIM DEVICE would be how territory gets captured and help. Perhaps owned territory can only be mined by the owners (both resources and POIs.) Owning an entire planed would be impossible with base restrictions, and you can always create enough capturable areas that no 1 or 2 factions can hold them all. A point system could be set up maybe…

I guess I think a lot differently than others, PvP just for the sake of PvP is often more than enough incentive if the setup is cool and fun.

I think this is an example of players requiring too much of themselves in not being able to accept losing ground while offline and recapturing it later.

I think eventually servers will have to choose though. The game is only ‘really’ a survival game in the beginning. In order to ever have Empyrion be more of an MMO I believe you will have to do away with destructible terrain and move to using autominers and asteroid/meteors for resources. The complications in server load, rendering, resetting planet terrain, etc. just seem to over complicate PvP.

Perhaps create a warp zone for level 25 players only with non destuctible battlefields…

TL;DR: Theres no need for Territory Control System, theres BAs for that. Whats needed is Less Lag System.

Well Im terribly afraid it will end like repair bay and a lot of other stuff. I thought we already have territory control, whoever builds base and manage to dominate territory is controling territory.

What I miss is reason to control territory with exeption of GG maybe. Some seassons ago for example Iceworld was Iron Planet, deposits were huge, but there was no way how to create passive income Autominers wont work for this, as you cant build base around each deposit performance wise etc, it just wont work.

Lets say planet creates 1000 iron per day (number is just example) and this is split percentualy among all base owners on planet. Might be enough if server checks 4 times a day and if base is there each check through 24h its considered “was there for day, lets give’em some iron for that”. Additional conditions can be added, needs to be class X base, needs to have some unique device etc. But this is more like if HWS would create such feature.

As far as I know on EU RED controls territory of GG. Seems like they dont need any special system for that. I dont understand at all about what is this Alpha9, I wish we can just skip it.

Now no matter how it will be, it wont be for me and many others. I have been through many planetary battles, maybe more than I like. Some took more than 24 hours non-stop, it was fun but I just cant and dont want to do it anymore.
Fighting for territory control is always best and worst experience at once. Amount and greatness of lag is insane, its 24 hours of torture and suffering, frustration, bugs, disconects, its Powerpoint presentation for 24h. Only few ppl I met can do that repetedly, like me and @zappe21 but i think we have enough too. When battle ends and you are winner its best feeling. Opposition gives up and lets you mine, takes rest. And in evening they came again, many just say f… it, I need sleep and gave up so opposition mines.

And this is pretty good, if Eleon take away that suffering part away by making at least something working well. You want to capture territory, do it as you like using whats in game already. I dont want some special system for that, takes away another piece of freedom we were used to have.

Nowdays my answer for such fighting is no, Im not going there, they have 30 HVs there, not in mood for another lagfest. All we need is smooth PvP, we will manage to figure out some ways how to capture and hold territory on our own, thanks Eleon.
Btw its not even about 30HVs, we tried NA recently, it was fun with about 6-8 players on playfield, all SVs, no BAs, just 2-4 HVs near bunker, worked well, nice to play. It didnt last long, as soon as more ppl came…no thank you, I lagged around for thousands hours already.

Maybe one day there will be time to think about some system for territory control as PvP will be smooth, but im affraid that Ill be pissing into my pants again due to high age, if it will ever happen.

3 Likes