Any hope for improving CV vs CV combat in PVP?

The cleaner way to do it would be to say if a projectile is INSIDE a block, it should disappear. But a check blockign damage to encased devices would be a dirty but effective band-aid. And it would prevent the wierd remainders of seeping splash damage. Though its hard to say whether its a shot doing damage diagonally to blocks behind it, or the shot going through and damaging both. End result is the same.

1 Like

OR!!! what if core melds to blocks and becomes white space aswell :D:D:D:D

1 Like

Biggest issue I see with that, is one you will see if you try to build all the way to the max size limit. Do it, and then take a look at the outer edge of your structure. Then have devices inside meld to contiguous blocks, all of the sudden you have an invicible structure. Because it has no surfaces.

Devices dont melt to blocks thou they are always visable in creative, guns would just shoot for generators and then the ship would be paralyzed. Wait does that means you can make a max size cube just made of blocks with a hidden core in the ground and make a completely invisible wall to troll people xD?

shhhhhhhhā€¦
but yes. It is possible. But incredibly expensive. That is a LOT of blocks

1 Like

I miss the days of planetside, they really ruined the game with mechs. i loved driving a vanu tank while my friend did all the shooting.

BTW @RexXxuS there are a few solid ideas here for actual implementable solutions to lag shots, if the devs were interested and/or stumped. Oh and if they were ever interested in SEEING one, I have gotten to where I can reproduce it reliably on my test server.

I ask myself why they have redundant turrets (i.e. the cannon and the minigun turret) also the minigun fires too fast and a bunch of these kills the game. They should be remove IMHO. just use the cannon onesā€¦
In my tests, there is no ā€˜armor multiplerā€™, ie combat armor just has more HP, it is not ā€˜more resistantā€™ to lower caliber weapons (5.1 tests).

1 Like

Options to improve framerate and pvp in general:

1: Remove aoe from weapons
Pro: A lot less calculations for damage.
Pro: Fights lasting longer.
Con: Removes something unique to weapons.
Con: Cant dig out terrain easily anymore T_T.

2: shields
Pro: Less tracking calculations needed preshot as its a much wider margin of error.
Pro: Only a single element taking damage instead of multiple (Less calculations.)
Pro: Cooler :smiley:
Pro: Fights last longer with less repairs needed.
Con: More energy drainage and more Fuel tanks needed for pvp vessels.
Con: Another dynamic to think about while designing ships.

3: Lower rate of fire of weapons increase damage and lower limit of weapons.
Pro: less area on ship needed for weapons, making smaller vessels a bit better.
Pro: Less ammo usage, less ammo crates needed.
Con: Less dps due to more overkill damage for big weapons.
Con: Not as cool seing only a few projectiles (maybe cluster weapons together so they all use the same calculation when firing and do a cluster shot animation, instead of firing out of sequence.)

4: (complete guess as to how devs currently have things coded but) Separate animation from damage calculations less dependence on each other means less waiting periods which could be a cause of lagshot.

Pro: Much less delay
Con: Desync.

1 Like

Not without interdiction mechanics.

Keep in mind most fights are not fights that both parties want to be in - or they quickly get to one party wanting very much to leave.

Currently there is no reason to not leave a fight that you arenā€™t 100% certain you will win.

1 Like

Yea warp disruptor please :stuck_out_tongue: maybe a web aswell

Or CV with ā€œactiveā€ Warp-blocker? Something like we could saw in EvE or in some RTSā€¦

1 Like

Wow we are really greedy :smiley: ask ask ask ask xD i hope at least our requests are shedding light on things and reducing time of devs and admins actively looking for these things.

I think, this:

and this:

= best solution. And ofc 4th part could give us some more fps, but Im not sureā€¦

The dirtiest and easiest way to get frame rate back, in my opinion? make all rounds use ray casting instead of projectile tracking. All of the sudden there is less margin of error between client and host, less independent entities needing actual tracking (you can still show sprites moving slightly slower than instant, but it may cause frustration), oh and surprise, lag shots are pretty much impossible. There is a reason you dont see lag shots from cannon or minigun. These already use ray casting.
Downside: combat becomes a slugging match rather than a nimble fight. Superman CVā€™s will instantly lose their edge when they cannot dodge the bulk of fire.

3 Likes

why donā€™t we just have the turrets target, BA, SV and HV and fight it out CV vs CV with our main guns. wing commander, Babylon 5, etc. battled it out with particle beams and torpedos and used turrets for fighter defense. it will reduce the lag and give us all what we want, longer more interesting battles that the length is determined more by ship design and pilot skill than who can focus fire with there turrets better and get the most lag and clip shots. Just my 2 cents

They really should just flat out get rid of the auto aiming turrets.

Hop on Dreadnought or Fractured Space and see how much more fun CV combat could be if we could aim our turrets.

5 Likes

Yea BAā€™s should really be the only one with auto aiming turrets to stop offliners.

3 Likes

Very true Mordgier, I play fractured space and it nice being able to just aim turrets with a mouse reticleā€¦matter of fact star citizen does kinda the same thing with there gimbaled weapons reticle

1 Like

7.0 will be interesting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4.0,5.0 and likely 6.0 PVP diedā€¦but the hope never died and one day we saw 7.0 followed byā€¦

ā€˜The PVP Patchā€™

2 Likes