Armageddon - The blunder - Discussion

Nice edit.

Funny how public forums work, eh?

Yes, if you define funny as people jumping on threads talking absolute smack completely disregarding what the OP is. :slight_smile:

done here.

You guys are so funny, to me Armageddon was a success, before it people were living out in space playing uber safe, after Armageddon all of a sudden lots of structures on a planet and lots of things for people to shoot at and killā€¦ huge step in the right direction, but a lot of the fighting/complaining is coming from gold/lag, solution to lag is limits and seems to be working fine. At first I was against gold falling during pve because it seems to go against risk/reward and people will abuse that but then I heard someoneā€™s statement saying that it gives new guys a way to catch-up, which makes a lot of sense i guess. So is there a way to have gold falling only during PvP but at the same time not have the biggest strongest factions having full control over it during those pvp hours :smiling_imp: Spread it out, huge factions by nature cluster together in small areaā€™s for maximum defence. Turning empty planets odin/zues/osiris/medusa/ori/Lua all into armagedons :smiley: would make things a lot more interesting. I would like to see one big faction try controlling all those, divide and conquer is strong tactic for a reason. This way a lot more people will be building on planets, no one will be complaining about gold because during gold season people can go out in fleets and go hunt/defend and the small guys could be doing gorilla skirmishes for gold raids but I guess they could already do this with homeworld in the first place xD. I do however see the problem, that there would be a lot more bases/structures on server, so more server load :confused: but I guess pvp would be trying to clear it little by little as full over night base wipes arenā€™t really posible on a arma setting.

Overall effect:

Pro: more usage of none faction planets. (becuase of Cv restrictions)
Pro: more things to shoot over a longer period.
Pro: Smaller coalitions forming for each planet instead of having 2 huge factions always fighting (more interesting diplomacy.)

Con: Gold Saturation, until more credit sinks enter the mix.
Con: More server load.

Iā€™m not asking for any of this as i know its a crap ton of work for adminā€™s, but itā€™s just a consideration going forward for 6.0 and onwards. But I have a feeling this has already been thought of lolā€¦ guess the long wait begins.

2 Likes

Just adding a little perspective from a not-so-established player.
For me, Arma was great. Prior to Arma I was one of those hiding in the depths of space. After getting my arse handed to me a couple times, I took the safe route, followed the pvp/pve rotation of lucifer, then back to my safe place.
Arma gave me a reason to even try a pvp playfield. I quickly found with a decently designed vehicle, you donā€™t die so easily. So then I had the confidence to engage others rather than turn tail and try to run. Engaging still often results in my death, but I am having fun.

This is kinda just a hodge podge quick mental dump.
In short I just want to say Arma was an amazing change of pace for me. Literally, a game changer.

6 Likes

This is fantastic to hear. FYI all you negative individuals out there, darth was one of the three factions I took into the trader valley on NA who had never had a chance to experience pvp base combat, and ground warfare. This response was exactly what I was hoping for, to be able to give people a chance to dip their toes into the big world out beyond their hidey holes, and it was something that armageddon was amazing for. And for that alone, I say it was a resounding success.

1 Like

All cool rannekk. My post sounded more negative than it should.
Itā€™s true that it always has pros and cons. No gold would mean for smaller factions just another planet to stay away from.

We appreciate all the feedback and even though I fear the expectations of 6.0 are super high we really think and hope for really everyone there should be a great experience to play. The best till now.
Even though it is damn lot work till 6.0 is ready.

2 Likes

Yeah, the way I saw it was the point of Arma was generally a place where you could do pvp without needing to defend offline but an 11 hr window is just too long for most of us with lives, families, jobs. Just canā€™t compete with the younger vampire generation that plays 14-18 hours a day (not joking here). Most of the ppl that claim they want pvp are more interested in offline raiding for free loot IMO than having real battles.

The one night we had to catch up with RL and were not online, we get offline raided, I happened to login real quick to witness it, knocked back half a dozen guys until the 3 AM pve reset, but I canā€™t really stay up that late on a daily basis when I have to be at work 6 hours later and the planet is already back to being pvp by the time I get home, so there is no time to rebuild. Oh well shit happens.

Probably I would just make Arma gold only pvp, with a daily full wipe of the playfield so ppl wonā€™t build anything more than small temp bases, with the current CV limitation just to drop off ships. Bases were a nice idea, but until Eleon ā€˜makes offline protection great againā€™, bases are still going to be undefendable for most ppl.

Black Hole didnā€™t really work out IMO because of the current reset times with no dynamically spawning asteroids (like meteors on planets). There are never any gold asteroids left to mine in the PM prime time hours. So once again, it only goes to the ppl that play in AM after reset or those who can play 24/7.

2 Likes

I very rarely pop up on here, but I feel I must share my views on this as it seems thereā€™s a lot of people guessing others thoughts.
I for one along with the rest of NME over in the blue corner very much enjoy Armageddon.

My reasons.
I love PvP and basing on planet, always have had a planet HQ but have always hated those pesky offline raiders. The pve/rotation has near enough done away with this, Iā€™ve still had holes dug up to my base in the day but at least we can combat that straight off.

POI, I love them. Everyday me and my team are out there taking them out, armmaā€™s wiping these daily makes this a lot of fun where usually they would all be dead.

GOLD, couldnā€™t care less about the stuff!! It seems the only people in my view that care there is gold falling in PVE time are the people that want more gold than everyone else. No offence if Iā€™m wrong as Iā€™ve very much generalised that.

My only issues with the planet is Lag, this is not a complaint rather than an observation. After all it is an alpha game, like the beer makers say, itā€™s not ready yet. This lag can only be combated by limiting the classes or limiting the people that go there. Until the game can handle such a load.

My two pennyā€™s. Make another 10 of them, all with different time zones to suit different peoples play time and life styles. Itā€™s not that the formula donā€™t work, the reason there is so much talk about improvement of Arma is because it worked too well. All the time there is no OP, this is the way forward and it would encourage people to pick a timezone/planet that suits them, it would spread the load out across them and it would mean thereā€™s always somewhere to go PvP.

Also I saw a server where you canā€™t build in deep space. You can park for maybe 9 hours but then are deleted, implementing something like this would force people to build closer to planets or on planets, increasing PVP but also making people think very carefully about the battles they start etc as no one can hide there armyā€™s and vaults of loot where no one will ever find it. I would also stop certain people not naming names, from having over 40 CV sitting in space lagging the orbits.

Thanks and well done to Rex and the Team.

2 Likes

The idea of no deep space is interesting, but for a brand new guy that cant form an alliance he would be completely screwed lolā€¦ if there was a way to protect the new guy then yea this idea would be awsum.

I agree, but I think with the implementation of things like the pent house safe houses, more pve/pvp rotation planets, taxed areas and OCD, as long as gold was made available even in small amounts on the starter worlds, it would mean that the new players would be able to ready them selfs for the big bad universe. With that said, the resource deposits should get wiped when depleted as currently auto miners are made obsaleet once a planet has been depleted making it harder for noobs who donā€™t have such riches or game savey to get resources by other means.

1 Like

Absolute bull. I edited to add the PS.

Hey @RexXxuS ā€“ did you REEEAAAALLLYY remove the gold from Arma or was that just a coincidental anomoly?

and if so ā€“ when was that uber gold hitting BH again?

:smile:

This is the real server problem.

Gold.

Iā€™m a PKA and I have no gold, Iā€™m going to farm in Gabriel and Lucifer in Pve. Perfect.
I am a PKA and I have a lot of gold, I go to the forum to cry until they remove the gold of gabriel and lucifer. Perfect.
I am a PKA and I want a new planet. I will cry to the forum until they put a new planet. Perfect
I am a pka and I see that people are farming gold and catching up on the server, I will cry to the forum until they remove it.
I am a new player in the server, I go to another server because here the ā€œbig factionsā€ just want to fuck me.

HWS in not a Friendly noob server.

Rexxus, this is your server. Itā€™s your ideas, youā€™ll always look for the best for the server.
If you listen to players, the server will lose the swing.
The suggestions of the players always depend on what is good for them or not.

3 Likes

Hey scamin,

First of all we do try and cater to noobs a bit, not as much as in the past due to having the third server dedicated to this but what we try to focus on is more start, mid and end so it still may not be prefect for noob and we do cater more for kinda experienced playersā€¦ I guess as a percentage maybe 25% start 50% mid and 25% end play through.

Rest assured we are unbiased and of course it is very natural to see posts from players wanting changes or keeping things the way they are to benefit their play style or game play stage.

We take on feedback and a lot helps us develop the serverā€¦ The comments that clearly show wanting changes to benefit just 1 play style or level of play through generally get pushed aside.

Tbh I havent read many of the comments above because mainly this subject has gone on too long. Weā€™ve finished 6 a long time before this and we knew a long while ago what issues and things we would have to considerā€¦

So people can continue to post there opinions on what will be best but we have essentially already decided on what we believe is the best case for everyone who play on the server.

Donā€™t forget people that arma was introduced on its ā€˜sloppyā€™ version for 5 as a quick interesting thing.

A small amount of thought went into it as we never expected this build to go on as long as it hasā€¦so it was always going to be a fast ball which comes with its downsidesā€¦it was more a ā€˜testerā€™ just to confirm what we already thought we knew

And it had proved a successā€¦it actually highlights how well weā€™ve planned for 6 in that so many of the issues and dramas were considered and addressed back in 6.0 developmentā€¦

So yea arma us the runt of the litter thrown into a pit to see what happenes.

Anyway, in regards to changes and benefitting large factionsā€¦ We donā€™t care how big or small a Faction is, how long youā€™ve played for doesnā€™t entitle you to greater leverageā€¦ You maybe become more blinded by the way youā€™ve chosen to play forgetting all those who are just still testing the water of the game and learning or just have a total different interest (pve or pvp)

Again we take on all feedback but we choose very carefully what to put into the keep jar and what to put in the bin.

It recent weeks with so many micro changes comeing here and there tbh we didnā€™t have time to sit and think as again weā€™ve put everything into 6ā€¦we know 5 is deadā€¦ The devs doā€¦ You do.

So please everyone be calm, wait patiently and have some faith in us that we will make the right decisions not just for youā€¦ But for the bulk of players

You wonā€™t like some changesā€¦

Your love some changesā€¦

Either way its not just about you (all of you) itā€™s about Everyone!

:laughing:

(this message was a reply to all players)

6 Likes

Iā€™m so done with this server and itā€™s community. Going to take an extended break. Be back for 6.0

Enjoy and good luck.
Rann

2 Likes

so what your saying is noobs go to a different server cus PKA cry about gold. WTF is your logic here? Stupid post. A noobs would not be going anywhere that has gold for a while anyway. And we protect and help most players. But donā€™t worry most of PKA are not playing at the moment we are waiting for 6 to come out.

2 Likes

@RexXxuS, I found one good idea from discussion here ā€¦
Lets start HWS World 6.0, with limited number of planets: like 5 starters (with orbits and moons) + elemental marketplace + 8 donated planets + ā€¦ one pvp gold planet (taxable pvp orbit), like Arma.
ā€¦
With POI, gold emeteorites, with 24 hour pvp, with no CV/BA ā€¦ :slight_smile:
ā€¦
And this ā€œpopularā€ place will be very interesting, and high interacting zone ā€¦
ā€¦
However, by the way, in next 3 months, new planets and new ideas will come step by step, improving our interest to the game ā€¦ and no ready solution for each player.

1 Like

6.0 has already been designed long ago, our thoughts only have a small chance of influencing 7.0 and onwards.

1 Like

However we are always open to feedback and since 6.0 brings new stuff out in every closed alpha patches we adjust here and there things if needed.

@NikolaTesla we will have a dedicated fight area; check.
The universe size is covered; check.

2 Likes