Carbon block pricing

I am sure what I am about to write here will enrage most as I advocate popping the current market bubble.

The 100 credits per carbon block in OCD going into alpha 10 will be disastrous on many levels. Firstly, many players are stuffing their OCD’s and alt accounts’ OCD’s with these blocks to try to game the 100 credit / block reconciliation period. An alt account with an OCD level 5 filled with nothing but carbon blocks is worth 500 million credits. This is something I would consider as extreme economic advantage relative to players that do not alt.

Secondly, with everyone stuffing OCD’s with carbon blocks rather than relevant items, this next season will start off sluggish as people will have to work to fill materials requirements that otherwise would have been taken in the OCD. Powerful groups will eliminate rivalry quickly in the upcoming season due to lack of adequate materials preparation of cash poor groups. That frankly sounds really boring.

Thirdly, the broad market economy will suffer from massive temporary inflation as everyone will be flush with cash, prices will spike and slowly come back down as reattainment of money is slower and more difficult than the blocks. So those that have the materials to feed the market at the beginning of next season will further be able to exploit a weak supply. This solidifies power into the hands of a few factions. Once again boring gameplay. Who wants to try to beat an opponent that can forever purchase victory? Lame.

Lastly, if we are to have some sort of reconciliation for these blocks, there has to be a cap for the reasons above and simply for the fact that it may break the server for more than just one season. I would advocate maximum 5 OCD slots. That should be more than adequate to compensate those players, like myself, who have legitimately used carbon blocked vessels, rather than those that would seek to game advantages.

Thanks for your consideration.

2 Likes

This actually isn’t a that big issue.
Many of the once who’ll make these blocks are rich enough to that they don’t care chopping wood for themselfs, and all wood on market is already gone, so many won’t do this.

Also the few people who actually does it are most likely gonna be using it for OCD or whatever, so cash will be gone instantly. I don’t see a that big issue.

1 Like

It won’t break the server at all, due to the max retention between wipes is 100m, without spending RL money. (I think it would boost the profit for the server and resolve some money issues, but that’s just my opinion)

3 Likes

Meh whats next, reducing golden globe mining because faction that owns it will grow even stronger over time?

2 Likes

Nobody “owns” GG, it was taken and is being held. Mount up.

1 Like

He obviously meant Control GG :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using alts to gain massive economic advantage is against the rules and such people risk ban, so this is not an issue.

I don’t see a problem here - if someone is greedy and drops everything to get credits it’s absolutely ok that he has to get resources again. Besides this would make resources more valuable which is a good thing.

Everyone can put resources into his OCD, being part of big faction or not is not relevant here.

It’s too late for that, people have acted based on assumption there will be a refund, changing it now would destroy trust people have in admins.

6 Likes

Words matter. They have different meanings. If the correct word was “control”, then he should have used it. But to the point, nobody has time for whining, but they do have time for defending base complexes. There’s always single player… Just saying.

1 Like

Relayer, I dont really understand the point you are trying to make. Also how is this relevant in the current discussion?

2 Likes

Hello DoktorSchmerz

I have to agree with Darth here, while I understand your concern, experience tells us that the economy will be fine. Integrated features such as : OCD, EB etc make sure that inflation stays well within acceptable limits. On top of that there is a hard cap on the amount of money you can take with you during a wipe.

Your theory about big factions getting all the resources and making it hard for new players is also not correct. It is quite the opposite, because of the big factions, there is a constant demand for certain resources, this gives new players the chance to learn their way around the market. Hence I would not be to quick with jumping to conclusions.

Lastly, PVP is an ongoing process in HWS, the current carbon situation
has little influence in this matter. Ofc cash can help in PVP but it is certainly not a guarantee for victory. Determination is what wins battles not credits.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it, it really is like real economics, something comes into the market and speculation drives up price in this case wood and stone skyrocketed. If Rex gives 100 per block then yes some people will make a lot of money next season. But that money will be used to buy the items they didn’t put in their OCD thereby allowing other people to make money. It will all work out in the end after the money is spent on garage ships, OCD, gambling and women (or men); things will go back to the normal life in HWS of piracy, gold jacking and picking on the poor guy on GG who just mined for 2 hours.

1 Like

I have to agree what most have said here.
Based on RexXxuS’ pricing players might have invested countless amount of credits and/or hours purchasing / selling wood and stone & processing them.

Like @DarthMyrten said, people have acted based on the message and changing it now would indeed destroy the trust towards consistency of our admins.

RexXxuS knows how this kind of things might effect economy and he has various ways to counter the possible economical issues, other than by eating his own words and causing mass frustration.

True, several players might start the next season with more credits than usual, but there is plenty of proper resource sinks like higher OCD levels. In my opinion it’s nice he rewards the late game active players in such manner. New players will also benefit from credit flow for basic resources which some late game players might ditch from OCD to gain the space they need, and are forced to re-acquire them next season.

4 Likes

I do not find anyone’s reasoning here to be suffiecently persuasive against my position. The mainline consensus rebuttal is that it isn’t a big deal, but very few ascert a factual based reason why it isn’t. The only one that has merit and may prove true is that players will spend it on purchasable upgrades like AM, EB, OCD, etc… That may tamp down inflation.

Players will be very difficult to catch with alt accounts especially since Rex has stated that 1-3 alts are acceptable given the condition that they aren’t abusive and apply to the rules. So this leads me to believe that there are few to no mechanisms in place to detect and eliminate gaining advantages with an alt account. So players really do not risk ban because there will be no detection.

Devs are human and strongheadedly committing to a tactic just because it will piss off a minority of players does not speak towards my faith in an admin or server moderator. I’d rather the talk be walked back and have a fun season than sticking to words to save a little face. Acknowledging that there are unforeseen consequences is a better mark of an admin than stubbornness / pridefullness.

Additionally, the main reason why large groups will have an advantage is shared defense. The burden of dragging ammo, blocks, and weapons is less when spread over a large group of players. The blocks empower large groups to stuff OCD’s full of carbon blocks because of shared defense capacity. I am personally part of one of the larger groups that can do this, yet I advocate against the block pricing.

At the end of the day, is this game about making carbon blocks to stuff in an OCD to subvert the system, or is it about spaceships and fighting for territory? I choose the latter. If you have been lured into spending huge amounts of money on producing carbon blocks just to exploit this transition, I don’t feel bad for your losses at all. This isn’t Empyrion Carbon Block Producer.

While the inflation may be nice in the beginning for players to purchase upgrades, in the end it will consolidate more power into the largest factions. A few large powerful factions with extreme cash advantage makes for boring gameplay. And yes money wins wars if you know how to use it correctly. Can some fringe players benefit from PvE feeding the machine? Sure, but for those hungry for more PvP, these carbon blocks are not in your best interest long term.

Edit: I had not read the update from Rex before writing this reply as I was in the middle of typing the response. Thanks Rex.

1 Like

RexXxuS and Jascha are checking people’s OCD so it will be detected. And alt accounts are agaisnt rules, so shouldn’t be an issue.

This has nothing with carbon blocks todo. In large factions people can afford PvP like this anyways, and especially large factions that can just go mine gold. Carbon doesn’t change that.

This isn’t spaceship simulator either. It’s a survival game. Let’s get rid of SV/HV/CV? Doesn’t work that way. Money in a large factor in HWS, and many of us actually like upgrading stuff like OCD, and this is in No way an exploit. It was publicly announced that carbon blocks would be turned into credits, and the whole server did it almost. Just because this wasn’t what was intended, it doesn’t turn it into an exploit.

The largest factions has always had power, this doesn’t change that either. And money doesn’t win wars. 10 skilled fighters can easily beat 20 unskilled fighters. You can’t buy skills.

2 Likes

Anyone paying for carbon blocks or for the materials is an idiot. Period.

Also they do have mechanisms in place to find alt accounts (ask Saul or saiyan whichever he goes by today). Be it the steam ID or IP address or MAC address, I don’t know how they compare accounts but I can assure you they do have a means in place.

It is actually quite a gift to be honest to get paid out for something that is ridiculously easy to make, even if he leaves it at 10 credits per block. It will definitely help those new to HWS get a higher OCD, EB, buy a garage ship, etc. for their progression on the server.

2 Likes

This is intended behavior. It was announced ahead of time specifically to give people a chance to either stock up to maximize on the return, or to get rid of their stockpile before the wipe if they think they can get a better return from the market.

There is no exploiting going on here. Rex announced it so far ahead of time for the specific reasons of letting people make as much money as possible, and to be prepared of the missing items from OCD. It also gets people in the habit of actually reading the announcements to learn about things like this.

Edit
Also, it was originally a typo that people would be receiving 100 credits per block. The actual number is 10 credits per block.

1 Like

This isn’t a direct rebuttle but we came to different conclusions. Here’s where I posted it.

So just for fun, who had the most blocks made before this got nerfed?
I had about 1.5mill blocks in OCD already. Had to cut trees for the first time in 2 seasons lol.

2 Likes

I had 0.

1 Like

I had 6,5 million.

1 Like