Community event: DDOS HWS with spotlights!

I know it has been mentioned that perhaps this post could be used to assist devs in tracking bugs. My guess that suggestions like this, being used for that purpose, should be attempted on their development server, and not HWS. I would think it would just cause that particular playfield to crash… but Im not very clever to technical stuff.

My understand of this post is that, for whatever reason, you are just looking to fuck with the server. I can appreciate that HWS is loaded with trolls and bullies. On a personal note however, I really do wish you would fuck off with your noise.

I hope this post is deleted, as it is it certainly must violate established and recently re-enforced rules on community behavior. This post is toxic, nonsense, and potentially contagious.

I’m sorry Devnatame, I probably haven’t explained myself well enough, it’s a bit of an in-joke. A couple members of OP4 are so shaken by the idea of losing a fight that they’d rather try to convince the whole server that a single TCH ship flashed its spotlights in an attempt to cause disconnects. This is untrue but several people seem to be believing it.

I have zero expectation that even multiple ships with lots of spotlights on them could cause that effect, so would like help disproving this myth. If it is possible then let’s get some data and ask the devs to fix what is an incredulously easy-to-use exploit.

If you have next time a big war or this “event” in mind let us know via PM!

Only with the special benchmark branch we can identify and fix issues.

However best would be if it’s good organized like counting in chat from 10 to 0 and press the lights then all together.
Or have 4v4, 6v6, 10v10 fights.
Just conditions where we know later what was the problem and what not.

For test purposes this ok, no need to start a toxic train here again.

3 Likes

Noted. Was only trying to express my concern as an individual player. :slight_smile:

Here is the video in question. Obviously we must have hit a nerve for TCH to start this topic.
I believe its called deflection.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=F3HMqDz9we8

Still waiting for TCH to explain why they would be flashing both Flares and Spotlights in a PvP
battle on an already overstressed playfield.

1 Like

While I can’t speak for my faction members, I personally have explained several times, on discord and resposted here on the forums: Using cb:destroy or egs:recycle during battle

Succinctly: we weren’t.

Please feel free to join our test, it’s an open invitation. If such an exploit exists lets provide the devs with the data they need to fix it.

I don’t want to be toxic, or rude… Just want to add this in here, The video doesn’t lie. You are denying using spotlights during combat to cause lag, It’s on video and ANYONE who has more than 100 hours in this game know what lights do to your FPS. I enjoyed the fight, every bit of it. Now you will be forced to no longer use lights during combat due to size class changes. Thank you @RexXxuS … I already have my size class 1 ready for combat!! XD

That was a dead youtube link for me. Just took me to video manager portion

So I talked with the lead dev and he said that the 3 fps fight there isn’t cool.
If we would make dedicated benchmarks of the server and client we could improve Empyrion to at least 20 fps in the same situation.

Now if you can ignore your kindergarten drama here is the deal:

Find people, find the location, find the time!

and tell it us!

Best if it takes again couple of hours, best during EU daytime!

Dev and me watching again closely and benchmark during it.

If we get even this evening dedicated, real fights with 4v4 or 6v6 every participant gets either 1 million credits or 50 RP!

(smaller groups are better for benchmarking)

Didnt seem odd to you that this “flashing” coincided with you getting closer and further away?

1 Like

I am getting my guys together. Will this benchmark build be loaded into HWS NA tonight? or on a seperate test server as with Nova

50 RP for me plz :smiley:

lol ya something like what you were talkin about here. I know lights are a sore subject in Empyrion, I wonder exactly how many people dance around that distance and swear up and down that the other person is flashing their lights?

1 Like

When is the fight and where?

My apologies for the lights going on. From my side, I could not see that they were on for the 40 seconds that I was connected to the server… It took me 40 minutes to get back into the game, and by then the ship was dead.
As a precaution, We should remove the lights from the blueprints to prevent someone from accidently pressing the T while playing.

Honestly lights are not a huge no no, as long as you dont have insane amounts of them (>8 or so for an hv that size) There is no rule against using them, only using them to harmful effect on others. That is largely a judgement call, based on context. But the original claim here was that you were flashing them (which btw is no more harmful than them just being on the whole time). I think once enough people saw the raw footage it was seen that it was in fact a ranged render issue, not a pilot flickering lights.

Just trying to get hold of the rest of TCH. We can probably field as many as we need if anyone else wants to join? We don’t need pre-organised teams, solo players can join too :slight_smile:

What about 10pm? Any suggestions for the best playfield?

Edit: Yeah we have plenty of people around this evening.

I don’t think 4V4 will produce the type of lag we experienced on Homeworld tbh. Maybe not even 6V6. UMC would be willing to bring some people over to add more people so you can benchmark. Does it have to be EU?