Family Share Accounts on HWS!? [POLL]

yes definitely will be quite a bit of work, and I think we should try to minimize it if we take that option…
like warning players and giving them time to sort stuff out on their own… and automate a few rules… like taking highest level ocd and in case of conflict (same level) take the one that was last used maybe?

2 Likes

just no…

I say run with it. I like the single steam id thing. The only people who are going to have a major issue with this is people who are abusing it. The game is relatively cheap. Something else you could do maybe is check to see how many accounts/steam ids actually come from a single ip. Then ban or restrict the steam id to a single primary account. This would help with people using extra purchased accounts. And I believe there is a way to check if someone is using a proxy, im not sure what it is but too many websites can easily detect that via ip range

1 Like

Man! Is HWS trying to kill off the long term player base? Change this, change that, stop this, stop that. I know there reasons I started playing on HWS AND stayed was because of the progression that you keep from season to season and the freedom that I had to play the GAME the way I wanted. Some times I play 18hrs a day. Other times I long in for a few mins a day. The point is I choose to play on HWS because its HWS. I mean, you guys have spent years setting your self apart from every other server out there; only to stomp all over the years of work that has been put into our characters on HWS, alts or not. On one alts I play one way, and on another I play differently. What if I can convince my family or close friends to come play with me again like they used to? Shouldn’t that option be available to me? The hours of effort that has been place into out characters does not matter to HWS? Well, It matters to me!

What does it cost HWS to have 3 family share accounts? Is it costing more money? Is it costing more time and effort? You’re giving away digital items in a GAME that you make money off of. I just think some perspective and thought should be put into this. You are alienating some of your biggest long term players by making these types of changes.

5 Likes

The abuse he is taking into account here is the players that need to have multiple accounts using family sharing, and exploiting them for their own net gain. And I think in all fairness he is correct that it is an exploit and there is certainly players within HWS that do this for an advantage. And furthermore if you enjoy the game so much that you feel you need multiple accounts then do the decent thing and purchase the game again for each of your alt accounts and stop being greedy and support the developers.

So, yes I am against family sharing accounts, multiple accounts that are purchased though should be allowed as they paid for that privilege. Spamming multiple accounts should come at a price.

4 Likes

Is that not something that can be tracked? Don’t the existing rules for the server cover this issue? Who are we to demand that people buy multiple copies of a game to allow you kids to play it or the casual player to find out they like the game and HWS? Empyrion is sold though Steam. Steam allows family share. Empyrion has this information and still agrees to the Steam platform. I don’t think its an issue Eleon has. Punish the players that misuse the system that HWS has created. Not the community as a whole. Today its family share accounts. Next its…“?”.

FYI I am not a family share account user. I have purchased multiple accounts over the last 3 to 4 years for friends that have played and not stuck around or that come back for awhile and leave.

My issue is with any change that dictates how I choose to play a video game. Also with a change that will not stop the players that break HWS rules at the expense of the whole group.

Definition : A Bug or Exploit, for the purposes of HWS Rules, is defined as “Any mechanic, whether executed in or out of game, which creates a condition that was not an intended functionality of the game OR HWS Server features.”

5. Multiple Accounts / Faction splitting

employ other abuses derived from having them.

5.1 We allow up to 1-3 accounts (family share or alternative accounts) on HWS. However, you are not allowed to use these multiple accounts to sabotage, infiltrate others, gain massive personal advantage (fa:supply, etc.) from them or employ other abuses derived from having them.

Question answered. Issue resolved.

The correct poll question is:

Should HWS hold account holders accountable to the rules they have agreed to play by on HWS?

YES

3 Likes

Gotcha

Can Also the family shared accounts vote to this poll? :rofl:

6hrs accounts that came specifically to vote no on this specifical post seems a bit fishy :smirk:

6 Likes

I’m the same, my son plays on his own steam account… I didn’t even know u could family share!

1 Like

I’d love to just ban everyone with the same IP address, unless proper proof be given and then those people be whitelisted. Or just something to be done overall to reduce the abuse of Alt’s overall, because alternate accounts are one of the largest causes to inflation.

how about disable it through alternative methods not server config and enable it for certain people after they fill a ticket?

1 Like

Yeah, I wish I’d known about family share before getting my kids their own Steam account and key.

@RexXxuS Can you clarify please? My son has his own steam account, which I purchased the game on for him. Does this affect us, or are you specifically speaking of the people using the free family share and not buying the game??

I hope I’m misinterpreting this because this is 100% your problem. If a player is using a family share account to play instead of the main one, that’s their choice. Regardless of the reason. Any and all accommodations should be made for players who fall in that category IF you decide to ban the use of family shares.

After reading through this thread I’ve been questioning the “why” behind this proposal. Why ban the use of family share accounts if the current rules are being followed and enforced? This is telling me that they are not being enforced adequately even though late last season one of my own faction members was found in violation. Once notified, we solved the problem.

Is this not the case in other circumstances? If so, why not?

1 Like

No worry. Only family share account. You are fine.

Yeah you mix up things but in general this is just a poll because the community asked me to do it. All the riot I smell again are unjustified.
Let’s wait and see what the result will be on 17th October and yes we will check the “duplicate votes” some might do to push their opinion.

I’m neutral on that topic.
But some great ideas were mentioned about checking for the main account regarding our features.

I still don’t understand the point of this. You’re punishing players for no reason by banning family share accounts. As others have said some play primarily from said account and they’ll be losing hours of progress as a result of this. This poll seems like it just came out of absolutely nowhere. What benefits do people game via family share over somebody who’s bought the game twice? All you’re really doing is forcing people to buy a copy of the game, and while you might not see a problem with that, unless you can guarantee that all of their progress can be transferred over to that new copy of a game then I very much see a problem with it.
This isn’t even targeting alt accounts as you state. If you don’t family share then all you have to do is buy a second copy of the game in order to make an alt and then you can do everything that a family share account can do. If your issue is with alt accounts then targeting family share accounts is not the way to go about it, you’ll just be hurting your player base who plays via family share.

1 Like

Turn them off for sure, however that probably wont stop anyone. There are different methods of sharing a game, and people will certainly just switch their Alts. I don’t use alt accounts on Empyrion because I have always had friends, but in other games I have used them mostly just to save my main from bugs.

If there is a way to turn off family accounts on just the website that would be ideal, but if not, turn them off globally. (As long as there is someone to help solo players get out of sticky situations)

I like how a couple of the No votes’ accounts were just recently created.

1 Like

Very true Taco.