Hacking feature discussion

I’ve had 70-100 mil on me all season. It’s useful if you do a lot of trading, or use CSW a lot

I would never suggest full-swing hacking and neither did Rex. In fact I’m in favor of locking OCDs, OAMs, and Banks after a successful hack for X days. That way the same person cannot just be wiped out. I also am in favor of having to be on the same playfield as the person you are hacking, this further prevents the possibility of being wiped out in any given season. If you’re not on the same playfield, not online, or have already been hacked then you can’t just be spam hacked.

Did you even read my short post above, anyone???

That’s completely different than saying “Don’t touch my OCD EVER!” which is unreasonable at best considering the Support Us page says:

“This is an active alpha system - We may add or remove your favorite features / change the donation system, we can’t please everyone. But let’s keep dialog open.”

1 Like

At the risk of sounding rude, I’mma go ahead and say that I honestly don’t think you’re qualified to argue this. An OCD slot for me can hold up to 60K gold ingots. Until you yourself have gathered that much, you don’t know the effort it takes to actually accumulate that. This is not only about getting wiped out (though without strict limitations it would happen). It is also about the ability for a player to spend hours of work (yes, some of this game is work) and have it all undone with a click.

Players do this work in advance so that they don’t have to do it later. I will be able to afford character upgrades and garage ships day one of the next season because I have worked for it and planned for it this season. Until you have done the same, it makes little sense for you to argue its worth.

3 Likes

That’s not rude at all, but it is incorrect to state as much. You know better than anyone else on this server that I understand that level of work from previous servers you and I played on together. I just fundamentally disagree about them being untouchable.

So while I don’t take it as rude I can say with 100% certainty that I understand the work you went through and attachment you have to the OCD.

I completely agree with this. Its easy for someone in GOD Mode to one click changes because of ideas but its another for someone that has spent real time from their real life to gather all those resources hour after hour, day after day, month after month, some even year after year!..

So no to allowing players to hack other peoples OCD with the support of HWS. A Very bad Idea…

@Alandauron What it really boils down to is this: The OCD allows players to invest in the server, and this investment is what keeps me and most others playing here. OCD nabbing removes incentive to invest, and is thus detrimental to the health of the server in general. The “attachment” you seem so adverse to is the main selling point of HWS. Plain and simple.

2 Likes

How? I mean there’s the two one time OCD upgrades to rank 3 and 5, but those can be achieved through other means in one season, your own words. Other than that the OCD literally detracts from server investment. Players don’t have to use the old method of paying for resource packages.

That being said I will agree that it increases the appeal of playing on the server, to not have to start over on every server wipe.

I disagree, OCD nabbing will have literally no impact on players investing in the server(short of the people that leave because there’s a chance they lose one slot every X days if all the right conditions are met). If they were going to get a faction planet they’ll do it whether or not people hack them. If they have a high ranking OCD already then they don’t need to invest to increase the rank.

I’m not adverse to the attachment, be attached to it that’s fine. Just don’t shoot down creative ideas because it changes the meta of something you’ve become comfortable with, then we stop seeing new things at all that might lead to better systems in the future that everyone likes.

Also I can tell from the hacking idea and other things Rex has said that he never intended for the OCD to be an “impenetrable vault” but rather just a way to help you carry over stuff from the previous season in order to avoid complete restarts. It’s the people on the server that have decided that the OCD was always meant to be a vault to store everything all the time.

I think what this actually comes down to is that I’m trying to have a discussion about the bigger picture with people that only want to see things from their own perspective. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not gonna go anywhere. Pretty sure Rex has already dismissed the idea of hacking, at least for now, so I guess the discussion is moot at this point.

I don’t miss the point on what everyone is saying, you think that your hard work should be perfectly safe in your OCD. I get that, I know how long it takes to get to where you’re at. I’ve done this grind many times before; when I had more time to play the game. I just think that it would be a good way to introduce another meta and encourage more people to be involved in PvP. If you have to be within the same playfield or even better with a certain distance then you’d start seeing backseat hackers in tanks with PvPers in order to get close enough to perform the hacks.

Anyway, we’re not going to agree on this and I’m fine with that, just wanted to try and introduce a different side to the argument.

Sounds like I will be a hacker…I won’t have to work for my gains, I can just steal other people’s loot. I like it! (That’s sarcasm, btw.) I have to say I think this is not a great idea. The OCD is one of the main things that drew me to this server. The idea that someone can take what I worked hard for without any warning or recourse sounds like a nightmare to me. This is exactly why I don’t play on purely PVP servers either.

1 Like

So one 60k stack of gold ingots is ~15m, so lets say person A hacks me and gets that all in one go. I hack then back but since they have a lower ocd level I get one 10k stack of erestrum. This type of feature would be impossible to balance, because it would always punish the veterans. Im all in favor of changes but some of the newer ideas are out in left field. I would however enjoy a one way PvP gate, as long as you had at least one location to access ocd, oam, and eb. Even if that itself were in a PvP zone.

1 Like

Not all investments are monetary. Time and dedication are also player investments. And it doesn’t matter if someone powergrinds like me and goes to OCD6 in one season or if people take it slow and it’ll take them five seasons - each player will have invested a lot of his or her time to get there.

If you do not intend it to be don’t advertise it as such:

The second sentence on the guide page for the OCD states ‘your items are safe’. There is not much wiggle room for interpretation.

1 Like

However, there is this in the disclaimer below. Rex has referred people to this on previous occasions when OCD changes have been made. Also, when people have complained about donation products being altered.

•This is an active alpha system - We may add or remove your favorite features / change the donation system, we can’t please everyone. But let’s keep dialog open.

1 Like

If you have to be within XXX of the enemy player to hack, combined with a hard limit on what can be taken, I think hacking could be okay.

If all I can take from Supreme is 1k of his gold bars on a successful hack attempt - that’s not so bad. Especially if I have to be within 300m of him to do it.

This is basically what I’ve been trying to discuss, it’s possible to find a good way to implement. Even if it comes down to something like:

1. “Theft” Drone has different levels
  2. Level 1 amounts to a small storage container
  3. Level 2 medium storage container
  4. Level 3 large storage container

Or just a small storage container period, it really depends. There are ways to make this worthwhile and not too punishing. I don’t think anyone wants to consider ways to make it viable in order to avoid the situation altogether, I understand the mentality, just don’t necessarily agree.

Yeah, you realize people have multiple accounts right? and groups will organize and target wealthy players and ignore the poor? So the 20 wealthiest players will be non stop targeted by the poor and their enemies and most others ignored. So it wont be once every X days, it will X times per day.

I thought the original future class skill list was epic and amazing!

5 Million credits OR Spawn an X7 CV!
Teleport to Sanctuary Planet OR 300 RP!
1 Alien Core OR Launch Fusion bomb!

The trend from all of these is no effect on other players (With the exception of the Fusion bomb).

Rather than stating controversial idea’s of stealing/hacking lets go back a step and look at positive or clearly PVP idea’s (Like a single fire rocket that does 100,000 damage)

1 Like

I disagree with giving an Alien Core for free. Those should be a commodity item that have to be purchased on the market only.

If there’s a language barrier here I apologize because I have stated already that I support a lockout type of system that prevents all hacks from a person that has been hacked for X days. I also support requiring being in the same playfield or possibly within XXX distance of the target. Anyway, I’m more or less done with this argument because people don’t want to try and think creatively and just want everything to remain the same. I’m happy to clarify my own stance through PMs though. Whether or not current accessibility with game modification allows suggestions in here hasn’t really been considered by any side so I just go off what I think would work.

Agreed, that might be to powerful, but these have been given away (Christmas event) and it is on the original idea’s. Point is ‘origin skills’ don’t have to or need to be so controversial. I do not believe anyone was upset with the base skills? Because they didn’t take away, they added too.

I get what you’re saying. I think the original skills could use some tweaks, giving 300 extra RP while useful for getting access to Sanctuary planet isn’t really that great for Freelancers.

1 Like