Hacking feature discussion

Hacking structures sounds like a good idea, especially if there is a way to hack your own structures to temporarily ad effects to the structure such as camouflage invincibility alien stats or something else really fun.
Times for these effects would vary depending on the effect and how good the effects are. like invincibility would only be good and balanced if it was only for 5 seconds.
I am not a fan of the ocd hacks unless they are very limited, in the ways others have previously stated.
Bank hacks I feel the same about.
And the whole idea to make all of these features optional was the stroke of genius that could make this whole system bearable for the masses.
I know a few people that only play this server because of the ocd.

2 Likes

Spot on! I agree with you 100% I also think that the idea of hacking your own structure for a bonus would be a genius idea! Like something that could be done via HWS connect on a mobile during a lunch break or something hehe :slight_smile: (and a more friendly form of structure commander).

Best regards
Wise.

A typical scenario that would most likely happen -

Allied Group of factions 1 (30 members) verses Allied Group of factions 2 (30 members). Week 1 - Group 1 hacks the OCD of one member of Group 2. This attack cleans out the member of Group 2’s OCD which is Level 3. The next week Group 1 hacks the OCD of 4 members of Group 2 with OCD Level 1 and cleans them out as well. This could go on until each member of Group 2 are either wiped out or seriously decimated by the hacks. The same would be the case with bank assets.

I am aware that Group 2 could hack back but may feel that such a tactic is dishonourable and lose out as a result of a higher moral standing.
You can see that this could (and would) get out of hand and spoil the HWS game servers completely. I for one would find a more sensible server to play on if this happened, and the only loser would be HWS itself. Hacking in real life is a form of cheating and morally bankrupt and should be so in the game as well.

1 Like

Hmmm Aeonbug i always value your opinion good sir.

With point 1. I’ve made it in my suggestion (but it’s not yet clear on Rexxus’ suggestion) that a hack would be limited to one player per month. So only one hack could happen to that player per month.

Or how would you feel if this was made voluntary? So only those who wish to willingly participate could do so? I’m-curious as-to your opinion :slight_smile:

Best regards to ya,
Wise.

Here is a hypothetical case that could very well be a reality. Imagine a player purchases an alien core for $15 and decides to store it temporarily in their OCD for a day or 2 before using. They log back in to find that their OCD slot holding their $15 core has been hacked. I can only imagine the drama from that. I guess there needs to be some sort of protection to some extent from hacking.

Yes you make a very good point! This is why yet-again I am only behind this feature if it would be a voluntary one. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Wise.

I really think you are taking this too far. The process is simple and has existed in the gaming industry for as long as I can remember. You drop money when you die! If you have “Credits” in your Wallet, then that could be “hackable” from a backpack on the ground or a % of it dropped when you die. I never understood how or why Eleon didn’t make this part of the game anyway. Oh wait, I remember now - they never considered the PvP element of the game in the first place!

I’m currently writing up a long-winded post regarding this topic but I’m of the mindset that hacking can be an amazing feature and am perfectly ok with having a couple bad seasons with it in order to iron out making it a fun addition to the HWS server.

A few quick points:

1. Allow hacking of OCD, OAM, and Bank to fall into a “PDA Hacking” category with a STEP procedure
  2. Hard limits on certain hacking on both the hacker and victim side
  3. Include risk factor to make the person guilty if they fail the risk roll
  4. Risk could be a soft limit that discourages too much hacking
  5. On the victim side have OCD, OAM, and Bank have “lockdown”, if successfully hacked, for 48 hours
  6. Lockdown works per system not for all systems(i.e. if OCD is hacked ONLY OCD goes into “lockdown”)

Just a bit of detail on PDA hacking:

1. Hacker must be on the same playfield as Victim
  2. Must hack the players PDA before the option to hack OCD, OAM, and Bank are possible
  3. 25% base Risk for hacking the PDA(later iterations could always modify this)
  4. Risk doubles with each consecutive hack on the same player
  5. Failed risk roll locks you out of player’s PDA

OAM Hacking:

1. Takes control of 1 random OAM for 4 hours
  2. Hacker gets benefits added to their OAM storage(don’t have any don’t get anything)
  3. Victim loses the 4 hours worth of material

Numbers and lengths could be modified after implementation and testing so the values are just my idea of a decent starting point.

@RexXxuS

I’ve been thinking on this, and I know you’re proud of the idea of OCD hacking and want to implement something of the sort. Players are very adverse to having things taken from their OCD. I believe I have found a happy medium in which both can exist.

I’ve been reading the ideas about “lockdown” on certain game aspects like the OCD/OAM/etc. I think you should incorporate 4 methods for hacking:

1 - Hack a player’s OAMs

Player cannot withdraw materials, nor can they fuel. OAMs also cease to function (no materials generated, no fuel consumed). Time of affect could be decided later. I think a day or two would be fair. Should be cheap since OAMs are honestly not that OP

2 - Player account hacking

This is like getting your wallet nabbed. Should be high cost to the hacker. Allow hacker to steal perhaps half of on-hand money, but only if in the vicinity of the player (not possible on ECC to avoid bank camping). This would also provide incentive for players to utilize their HWS account for safer storage

3 - HWS account hacking

Players keep LOTS of money here, so this should be both high cost and high risk to the hacker… kinda like actually hacking a bank. Perhaps give it a 60% chance of success with a 3-5% payout if successful, but guilty and a stiff fine if unsuccessful.

4 - OCD hacking

The bulk of players’ wealth is here. Disallow stealing from here of any sort, but… allow the hacker to see what item types are inside of a player’s OCD and choose an item that the player cannot withdraw from their OCD. I for instance have several stacks of BA artillery turrets in my OCD for insta-spawns. A hacker could see those in my OCD and lock them down to prevent me from insta-spawning. They could also target a player’s fuel… or an ammo type. I however HIGHLY disapprove of the ability to remove items from another player’s OCD whatsoever.

I think this smorgasbord of hacking options make the mechanic interesting and useful, while still allowing players the ability to accumulate wealth as needed for the more advanced character upgrades without fear of massive setbacks in game progress.

5 Likes

Love this idea. enough said :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly see no reason to take a hacking path with any of those options, except maybe #3. It essentially becomes useless for anyone not in a faction wanting to essentially lock down an opposing faction.

1. No benefit to the hacker at all
  2. Almost no one keeps on hand money anymore so basically nothing worthwhile from this ever
  3. I still don’t see the stance of “Don’t touch my OCD ever” from everyone, really limits possibilities for new ideas

The OCD i think should not be touched in any way. I think it would be best to focus on fixing the Golden Globe problem first and not diverting your focus on every direction. Focus on fixing something one problem at a time then move to the next step. I see too many diverting from the problem like talking about Armageddon when Golden Globe first of all needs to be stabilized balanced and fixed.

I think bringing in new ideas is great and i like that Rexx is really good at doing that. But i don’t want for Rexx to be too burned out with having his focus turned in all directions. One step at a time.

This seems to go a little bit against the ‘risk reward system’. They are able to take vast amounts of loot risk free from the wealthy players with no risk?

I mean I have several alt accounts, I could destroy a person economically with this power.

1 Like

No benefit to the hacker at all

Stealing money isn’t beneficial? Stopping resource inflow of your competition isn’t beneficial?

Almost no one keeps on hand money anymore so basically nothing worthwhile from this ever

Throughout the course of this season I’ve had on average 10M on hand. Until bank level 3 (this could be revised also) you have to go to the bank to put money in without a fee, so your on-hand money does accumulate.

I still don’t see the stance of “Don’t touch my OCD ever” from everyone, really limits possibilities for new ideas

This is because you don’t have one. =P

1 Like

This seems to go a little bit against the ‘risk reward system’. They are able to take vast amounts of loot risk free from the wealthy players with no risk?

I mean I have several alt accounts, I could destroy a person economically with this power.

Which is why a player’s entire stocks (OCD) should never be targeted, and banking should only ever be targeted with diminishing returns. You’ve pointed out only one of several ways players will attempt to exploit hacking if implemented. This is why @Alandauron you cannot simply allow full-swing hacking. It needs to be highly limited or seasons’ worth of effort will be lost in a week and the server will die.

1 Like

This is an absolutely terrible idea. Hacking OCDs ?? Trolling, right ?

I don’t think I need to explain how ALTS can be used to clean someone out.

This will cause rage-quits if someone is hacked with no warning.

edit : I just found out this could be a voluntary thing … like only those who choose to be Hackers can be hacked… I’m all for it if its PURELY VOLUNTARY … of course, people will use ALTS with nothing in OCD to hack.

3 Likes

I’ve had 70-100 mil on me all season. It’s useful if you do a lot of trading, or use CSW a lot

I would never suggest full-swing hacking and neither did Rex. In fact I’m in favor of locking OCDs, OAMs, and Banks after a successful hack for X days. That way the same person cannot just be wiped out. I also am in favor of having to be on the same playfield as the person you are hacking, this further prevents the possibility of being wiped out in any given season. If you’re not on the same playfield, not online, or have already been hacked then you can’t just be spam hacked.

Did you even read my short post above, anyone???

That’s completely different than saying “Don’t touch my OCD EVER!” which is unreasonable at best considering the Support Us page says:

“This is an active alpha system - We may add or remove your favorite features / change the donation system, we can’t please everyone. But let’s keep dialog open.”

1 Like

At the risk of sounding rude, I’mma go ahead and say that I honestly don’t think you’re qualified to argue this. An OCD slot for me can hold up to 60K gold ingots. Until you yourself have gathered that much, you don’t know the effort it takes to actually accumulate that. This is not only about getting wiped out (though without strict limitations it would happen). It is also about the ability for a player to spend hours of work (yes, some of this game is work) and have it all undone with a click.

Players do this work in advance so that they don’t have to do it later. I will be able to afford character upgrades and garage ships day one of the next season because I have worked for it and planned for it this season. Until you have done the same, it makes little sense for you to argue its worth.

3 Likes

That’s not rude at all, but it is incorrect to state as much. You know better than anyone else on this server that I understand that level of work from previous servers you and I played on together. I just fundamentally disagree about them being untouchable.

So while I don’t take it as rude I can say with 100% certainty that I understand the work you went through and attachment you have to the OCD.