How to exploit Offline Protection

@thispolak
Sorry if I missread some facts but can you please explain in detail what you think is the exploit in this case?

@rexxxus Two bases are placed. one WITH offline protection, one WITHOUT offline protection. the base WITH OP is placed on the top and is mostly hollow. its job is to provide a shield. the base beneath is full of flak cannons. now since the base below has flak and no offline protection it fires 24/7. and since the base above has OP and is hollow . the flak travels through it but you cannot attack the flak. making it an invincible base that can attack you but you cannot attack it. it is basically the hannah montana of empyrion. best of both worlds. offline protection, while still being able to attack people flying by while offline. these are placed near gold deposits so even if the perosn is offline, the gold deposits are attacking passerbys.

So my question is does the server see this as an exploit, if not then I foresee many choosing to use this ā€œgame mechanicā€ to provide an extra boost to their arsenal

Agreed here. This is exploiting the fact that OP covers everything including a non-OP protected base.

My biggest nightmare with this offline protection is the cvā€™s with hvā€™s docked on them, they can just go to an base and logoff, and let the hvā€™s do their work on the base and the offline shield protecting them.
as you can see this offline protection brings more trouble than good.
Good job server!

Lets not derail the forum topic. This isnt about offlije protection but more about a faction exploiting a game mechanic for personal gain. The discussion of OP or no OP needs to have its own lengthy post lol. This is more about should you allow this behavior.

If so then yea im building a bunch of cvs eith hvs and dropping them on bases. Because fight fire with fire.

If you see this as an exploit then something needs to be done and a punishment for anyone who uses it in the future

Let us know so we can adjust our game style accordingly

1 Like

Needs an admin call tbh. I see an online base within an OP base as cheating tbh as it negates the negative effect of OP. CV I kinda think the same, devs need to ensure all cores within an OP field are disabled that would fix the HV issue.

Base is more difficult as I can technically put one base below the other such that the active base isnā€™t in the field of the OP base.

IMO this is basically the same as having turrets underground which can fire at you but you cant hit them unless u dig to them with SVā€™s, in that sense this is worse of an exploit then turrets underground.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! just my 2 cents

sighā€¦ I know, I knowā€¦

But what all of you have to think about and stop in your mind is: yeah, the OP is working in this way :wink:
Again it is:
#OFFLINE -
Protection.
Exploit would be if you are able to BREAK the OP and take out the turrets which shooting at you. But since you DONā€™T belong there anyways because the guy is OFFLINE it is just a clear way of them to say: ā€œstay away from meā€.

That is ONLY about the OP itself.
Now we come to your ways:

Yes, a problem.

Yes, a problem.

So 2 good learnings which got addressed to the devs. Sorry, if I want to help them to identify problems Sarcastic-Thranir.
We will propably turn the OP off again till it is in a better state.

This is ridiculous response rex. No offense but cmon. They are offline so I shouldnā€™t be there anyway? I DIDN"T KNOW THE BASE WAS THERE. Its not like I scouted it out. waited for them to get offline and went back to take out the base. I was just flying around the planet mining. The flak started shooting at me before the base showed on my radar. B/c the base was also under water there was no way to see it coming up ahead of me like I could have it if was on top of the ground. By the time I knew it was there Iā€™d already taken some serious damage to my ship. Now you telling me I shouldnā€™t be there? WTF. If he is offline I should have been able to fly by unharmed. So yea. If the base is shooting at me I have every right to return fire and do some damage in return for the damage Iā€™ve already received. Its a PVP planet and you are going to tell me that a base I canā€™t see yet has a right to shoot me down but i canā€™t return fire b/c they are offline and exploiting to get their guns to fire through OP?

LMAO how how easy it is to change history to make yourself feel better. And yet another person claims to to have screenshots as proof. If you actually do have screenshots which i doubt and you post them all everyone can see that I came to help you as you were dieing to bugs over and over and over. After I died trying to safe you, you took advantage of my kindness and looted my bag. I also made it very clear that while i didnā€™t care about the loot in the bag that what you did was rather rude considering Iā€™d come to help you and that you would be KOS from then on. Not b/c I was mad but b/c you had attacked me. You then went on to play word games about what an attack is and I made it clear that regardless of the fact you hadnā€™t damaged my player that I consider stealing my guns on a hostile world an attack. I still dont care that you dont agree with that and I will continue to kill you any time I see you. No vengeance. No malice. Just a response to your initial attack.

Oh and as you very well know since I didnā€™t kill you on that pvp planet but rather tried to help you initially I wasnā€™t looking for targets. I was just mining. I found the base in these photos when it shot a wad of flak in my face before it ever showed on radar. After which I scouted it and found that it had employed an Offline protection exploit.

Your intentions are irrelevant - you are also hilariously funny - carry on :smiley:

Also, thisā€¦

P.S. I am also interested in this new change history power you say I haveā€¦ Must investigate further

1 Like

I think the OP should be reworked completely.

1. OP activates after being offline for 15 mins (prevents combat logging of).
  2. It should not provide a shield. Instead it should make connected blocks invulnerable.

It shouldnā€™t even be that hard to program this as most of the required tools are already there. The base / ship already has a unique ID. Connected blocks already have a certain amount of Hit Points. Thereā€™s already a PVE flag that prevents damage to blocks from other players. Itā€™s simple matter of adepting a few things to get this to work.

I liked a similar idea that boosted HP and turret damage. To expand on it.

I would suggest that OP is actually a series of devices - OP, OP T2, OP T3 etc.I would also suggest that in the future you could have different classes of OP, one that has more HP for blocks but less dmg etc to provid variety in building bases.

So to expand on an earlier idea - if its yours, hereā€™s the credit for the intiial idea!!

You install OP Starter and it has the following effects.

HP Blocks + 20% HP
Core HP +10% (I would like to see core blocks SIGNIFICANTLY boosted in terms of HP)
Flak Turret DMG + 5%
Cannon DMG +5%
Activation Delay - 5mins
Duration 24 hours
Max Block Size 2000

This is a basic OP that gives some boosts but is not invulnerable (play with values for balance)

Now hereā€™s a specific version that again I just made up

OP T3 Titan
HP Blocks + 100% HP
Core HP +50% (I would like to see core blocks SIGNIFICANTLY boosted in terms of HP)
Cannon DMG +5%
Cannon RoF +5%
Activation Delay - 10mins
Duration 72 hours
Max Block Size 10000

This would cost significantly more in terms of resources to construct but has a defined role, it is like a Turtle OP - hereā€™s an idea for an offensive OP

OP T3 Ravager

HP Blocks + 10% HP
Core HP -50%
Flak Turret DMG + 15%
Cannon DMG +15%
Sentry Turret Damage +15%
Minigun Damage + 15%
Turret RoF +10%
Activation Delay - 2mins
Duration 12 hours
Max Block Size 1000
Power Usage +20%

In this scenario it is a very offensive OP but it has drawbacks that need to be considered when choosing the role of your base. Technically this is just modifying values that already exist in the game and shouldnā€™t provide an ā€˜I WINā€™ structure as you donā€™t get an uber shield, you have to pick the right one (you could technically have multiple installed but only one active at a time,

Anyways - thats enough thinking for no

Guys do you realize that this is hardly Rexxā€™s guilt?

1. OP turned off - all you offline raiders will be destroying everything normal common players builds. With no chance they can defend it as that guy who died 80 times proves. Hes absolutly uncompetent still he was able to kill base.
    So its evident that its not best idea as noone will be building on PvP becouse there is no way how to defend it unles you are online 24/7

2. OP turned on - all you offline raiders will be complaining about OP protected bases you cannot raid. And there is also combat logging which is a problem for sure.

Conclusion: Dont complain here go to complain to Eleon Forum, I still somehow dont see any of you there. You crying here Rexx do this and Rexx do that. Well you cannot knit a whip from shit.

When you are asking something offer idea how to solve it too or what do you think its best solution, but its not black or white, both cases when OP is on or off are obviously bad. Only way is to force developers to improve this feature.

Suggestion: Patience. Complains to developers of game not to admins of game server. In meantime install experimental version and enjoy 2 new fancy showers because thats what we realy need.
This is a ā€œComplain about gameā€ hot line: http://empyriononline.com/forums/

6 Likes

Completely with you on this Elfias although Rexx seems to be consolidating issues and suggestions as ā€˜from the HWS serverā€™ which seems to be a good way to do things imo as the devs seem to have a lot of respect for Rexx/Jascha etc (well deserved imo).

OP isnā€™t the fault of the admins in any way, maybe our collected learnings put forth in a simple, single communication means will have a greater effect than loads of us all jumping on the Eleon forums.

Just a suggestion

Because SWP is exploiting offline protection we need to remove it ? SWP needs to go to jail but the admins have been told a while ago.

Now you are so bored to begin spreading lies again? Without proofs of your accusations I would be careful.
Picking random topics for spreading your salt is getting annoying too.

No it is because of people like above know exactly how to play against OP and that is not how the OP should work. Reading around forums proving this.

The general hate against russians is what we experienced a lot already. There are some who go Yolo mode and get punished and there are other one who playing maybe tryhard for others but still legit. We enforce the rules for everyone.

Interesting if you had said proof, why donā€™t you post the transcript of that conversation with Rex you supposedly had?

Having fought SWP personally, Iā€™ve just found that theyā€™re very organized at PvP and generally have stupid large CV builds to lag people out (all PvP factions do this anyway). Every reason Iā€™ve heard for SWP hacking has just been hearsay or ā€œbecause theyā€™re Russiansā€. That said, Iā€™m willing to hear some people out, but no one has shown me definitively what hacks/exploits theyā€™ve done.

I dont know how we got onto the ā€˜Russians suckā€™ train but Iā€™ll throw in my two penneth.

I have played with many russian gamers over the years and am still in contact with some of them. They have a mindset which lends itself to overcoming adversity and sometimes this means they can overstep bounds but I have seen this no matter which country a player comes from.

If the basis of anyones arguments boils down to ā€˜they come from x countryā€™ then you might as well walk away from the conversation before you need to be carried away as its a baseless stupid argument to have.

1 Like