HWS Config | Gameplay Changes Part 2

Many other games use the static model shell concept “like the x series of games” yes you can have epic large scale battles with hundreds of assets on the play field without much in the way of performance degradation but the charm of Empyrion is “as Taco put it” seeing chunks of ships flying off when fighting but also the design concept of learning from combat, adding armour to weak spots, moving components around ect so if it became about hit points rather than design and clever thinking Empyrion would be just like so many other games and lose its charm.

3 Likes

I think you have done a pretty solid job with HWS so far, I am much more worried about Eleon.
You are always trying to make the best of it:)

1 Like

@RexXxuS
lets do some math on SV pulslaser example

before we had

200 rpm and 200 magazine -> 60 sec to fire and 4 sec to reload -> 64 sec to fire and reload a whole magazine

now we have

120 rpm and 200 magazine -> 100 sec to fire and 2,5 sec to reload -> 102,5 sec to fire and reload

thats a way less damage per time so “* Adjusted Reload Delay to adapt to the lower ROF” i don’t think so or i missed something
one can’t simple reduce the reload time the same percentage the firerate was reduced because the time to reload is just a small fraction of the time needed for the whole action

the better way is imho increase the damage per shot

Edit: RexXxus has changed Pulslaser to 375 Damage and 133 RPM

3 Likes

Reducing CV drill damage is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Instead you really ought to leave the damage the way it’s been for the past few weeks and reduce the maximum number of drills on a CV to 6.

The reason for this is very simple. All the gold and most of the rare resource asteroids have been moved to PvP space. The reason for this was supposedly to encourage/force more players to venture into PvP in order to acquire these resources. But with the other HWS weapon limits coupled with the game’s maximum of 21 fixed weapons (including drills) that can function on a CV, it simply isn’t possible to put 10 drills on a CV and still have it be competitive in PvP. You’re either going to have so few drills that harvesting asteroids takes forever, or half the number of fixed weapons as any pirate ship you encounter.

So the players whose arms you’re trying twist to make them risk PvP have a choice of either taking a ship that can’t possibly survive if it gets jumped, or a ship that can fight but takes forever and a day to harvest any significant amount of resources. Either way those players are just going to have an unproductive and frustrating experience and will likely either decide never to go back to PvP, or just leave the server and go to another where they can acquire rare resources in a way that isn’t suicidal.

Overall the HWS Config and higher HWS weapon limits are a fantastic thing; they force ship designers to make design choices and compromises depending on the situations they expect to encounter the way real-life designers have to do. In vanilla there are fewer meaningful choices because all the weapons affect every sort of target the same way and you can always just max out the most efficient ones. However, forcing an absolute design choice/compromise between drilling and fighting is nothing but bad for game play because it defeats the whole purpose of putting the rare resources in PvP space to entice players there.

And 6 drills still does force some compromise, because you can’t max out weapons and take all six drills. But the choice is not nearly as harsh: leaving off a few missiles and a drill or two (when the remaining 5 or 6 drills do decent damage) doesn’t make the ship completely hopeless for either mining or fighting the way sacrificing either half your fixed weapons or almost all the drills does.

4 Likes

I didn’t have any problems using the cave reward ship in Phoenix system the night before last and it’s 2 CV drills did just fine. It’s amazing how underrated this free SV is.

1 Like

Also about this.
You can think of it another way.

People mine on golden globe a lot more, than doing 30 player fights, which are not very common fights.
So it’s about finding a balance that makes it worth it to actually mine, and makes fighter better.
The update you made today, is a lot more on performance side than mining side. And yes like you said. Performance should beat gameplay. But if all you have is performance, there won’t be any gameplay, so it’s very important to find a balance here as well.

I think that was before the change took effect.

this game starting :part_alternation_mark: . can’t wait alfa 11 :see_no_evil:. rexxxus i’m think you gonna create new problems . fix it old one’s like garage ships, where they are ? sorry if i’m rude

3 Likes

I agree with Israel. many people came to Empyrion because the game allows you to create design and customization, especially pvp ships. where it belongs how much the player has experience in building. now the shield killing creativity because now workshop ship whit the shield have chances almost like made of veteran and upgraded many times.

5 Likes

of course this topic is extensive and I haven’t read it closely but my 10 drill cv is out mined by someone with an epic drill doing E.V.A. I am already working on adapting to the drill change which has rendered weeks of design work that was almost complete useless in my opinion :frowning: but that is the life of a dynamic game. it’s just odd that I should ditch my 10 drill ship for an epic drill and a micro ship to move quickly between rocks to mine the best possible. Just an observation, do with as you will. Looks like precision mining is required instead of the slice mining I was doing. I’ll design a new ship and give it a shot and see how well it works in comparison. but as it stands mining has been made to take literally prolly 20x longer then it did where I was able to eat a rock in 20 seconds it now can take up to five minutes to mine the meat out of one rock.

Hi Rex can you make the CV drills back to what you had before changes please. I understand the planet HV drills making to many holes but now it takes forever to mine an asteroid, mining roids was good before and a lot of people were doing it for resources now its just way too long with the nerfed drills. Its wasting what game time i have, PVP is resource intensive so less resources means less PVP and I really dont want to mine for hours.

thank you

2 Likes

it is and interesting idea, if weapon fire make that much performance difference, lets just halve the number allowed and double the damage, same thing just less lag :slight_smile:

After thinking about it more, I would even be happy if you only had 2 of each SV weapon, as long as the damage was the same. Less weapon mounts would make builds better and easier also. Especially on class 1 builds.

On CVs and HVs also cut in half, or more, but boost damage to match. It would help so much with making ships that are more then just a pile of guns.

1 Like

hey already make hv blocks hp very weak, but whit shield its no difference

I don’t think a mining ship should be equal in combat to pirate freighter meant to hunt.

Love this expression :grin: Hear it too rarely

I have to disagree. Most players can survive even when getting jumped due to warping. They are not supposed to survive by fighting off the pirates. They can escape.

Overall to the topic… It’s a complicated subject.
In one hand fighting inflation & lag is important & the latest update addresses them both.
The game is supposed to be hard, survival & I think you’re supposed to feel the pain of losing ships & resources. In the previous situation I can go ahead & spawn 100 HVs for single battle & give literally 0 care if all of them are destroyed. Only blueprints were worth anything, not the actual ships.

If the changes stay as is, it will create a scarcity of resources sooner than many will think. If some late game player decides to hoard all the millions of resources they have, so be it. Maybe they can make a good amount of cash after season reset by selling them. Regardless if you spend them or not, the overall supply in server will go drastically lower over time.

If you’re concerned of veterans having several million ingots of gold or credits in stock & and big OCDs full of resources → advantage, you shouldn’t. The scarcity of resources (And the price increases caused by it for the greedy ones) will eat away the big supplies sooner or later & wipe + high gold prices to come will take care of credit surplus. Veterans will likely invest their credits in permanent benefits such as OCD levels as sparing their hard earned cash is now much harder at very limited gold supply & carry-limits in Elemental Bank through wipes → Credits are gone.

To reach this goal, obviously interest & NPC traders need to be addressed too. Massive interest & low yield of resources will increase the resource prices massively and turn the main income back towards elemental bank which I think is not very healthy direction as this supports adverse behaviour. NPC traders in the other hand can offer major resources for low prices.

If I had to guess what happens with current settings without addressing interes & npc traders is that players stop mining resources & instead will focus on gaining interest + RP & then spending it on resource packs from NPC traders. I don’t think this is the goal with your change.

Edit: Added the other side of my thoughts
Then, the other side of the coin is obviously what is too much. Currently the player-base is spoiled with easy resources & addressing the issue might be necessary. But to what degree? The current decrease is a major change. It feels like the attempt is to reach the optimal situation very quickly without having to wipe.

Personally I appreciate this idealism. Clearing a huge chunk of resources without having to take anything from anyone directly. The player-to-player interaction combined with reduced income will take care of it by itself. Suddenly introducing “dry season” that forces player-base to adapt or be destroyed is interesting concept & maybe could be introduced in story as “anomaly” of sorts. However I do believe big amount of the server’s player-base is looking for a bit more casual environment or at least not such a quick change…

RexXxuS has time to look into feedback, server statistics & find the optimal balance. Just keep the feedback coming, but make it constructive to help him achieve the balance :+1:

Ok, enough rambling for now.

I would agree, but then I also don’t think rare resources should be restricted to PvP space. Given that they are, and the stated purpose for this is to drag otherwise unwilling players kicking and screaming into PvP if they want to acquire resources, what purpose is served by also forcing them to take ships that can’t win a fight? If they’re being dragged into PvP space to force them to fight, let them use ships that can fight and can perform the function for which they went to PvP space to begin with - drilling.

If, as you suggest, they’re not supposed to fight, what purpose is served by dragging them into PvP space? PvP should be for people who want to fight., not helpless victims.

The third alternative is the one no one likes to talk about: a lot of PvPers want to have hapless noobs dragged into their gunsights and delivered up like lambs to the slaughter. That is a toxic culture and it will do nothing but drive new players/potential PvPers away.

In short: if they’re supposed to fight, let them have the tools to fight. If they’re not supposed to fight don’t try to drag them into PvP, because PvP is supposed to be about fighting, not clubbing baby seals.

Not out of Black Hole, Nova, or Titan, they can’t. And that’s where almost all the gold is.

Also, I haven’t tried warping out of a fight this season. In past seasons K warping was disabled if there was an enemy nearby. Is that no longer the case?

1 Like

Risk vs Reward. Piracy is also occupation in the game & you can’t pirate if there is no victim.

I guess it’s fine to have few spots with actual risk involved :slight_smile:

You disable shields with x & keep spamming K.
You’re out second after your shield disables, taking only minimal damage unless your warp drive is literally sticking out of your ships butt ^^

Here Here! Yes i think you can warp from black hole.

I agree with Loki. If we want them to come to pvp and drill so they can fight we don’t want them to warp away because their defenses are nerfed because they come to mine. We want them to stay. If we limit what they can protect themselves with this would contradict the purpose incentive of rare resources in pvp so they can come stay, mine, and fight.

Sure, actual PvP should occur & should be promoted. I’m definitely not attempting to deny that.

But, Piracy as an occupation / income isn’t directed towards massive war* ships :slight_smile:
I believe ideally there would be both happening - Mining vessels inferior to pirate ships who have no choice but to try & escape with their loot (risk vs reward) & actual battles for sector control between ships designed for major scale battles.

If a single ship can do everything … I don’t like it :slight_smile: Good game design is based on providing choices to player.

How to make this happen? No idea :wink: I’m just theory-crafting

Being a pirate does not automatically mean your ship is better then someone who’s ship is balanced between defense/offense & mining. Pirates usually have weaker ships which is why they hunted in packs rather then single handedly; at-least historically. Being a pirate is a way of living and less about having better ships. Pirates lived mostly through raiding which means that instead of mostly getting your resources from mining you get it from raiding others. Historically, in the past and in the present pirate ships were usually weaker which is why they usually hunted in packs.

2 Likes