HWS Config | Gameplay Changes Part 2

I would agree, but then I also don’t think rare resources should be restricted to PvP space. Given that they are, and the stated purpose for this is to drag otherwise unwilling players kicking and screaming into PvP if they want to acquire resources, what purpose is served by also forcing them to take ships that can’t win a fight? If they’re being dragged into PvP space to force them to fight, let them use ships that can fight and can perform the function for which they went to PvP space to begin with - drilling.

If, as you suggest, they’re not supposed to fight, what purpose is served by dragging them into PvP space? PvP should be for people who want to fight., not helpless victims.

The third alternative is the one no one likes to talk about: a lot of PvPers want to have hapless noobs dragged into their gunsights and delivered up like lambs to the slaughter. That is a toxic culture and it will do nothing but drive new players/potential PvPers away.

In short: if they’re supposed to fight, let them have the tools to fight. If they’re not supposed to fight don’t try to drag them into PvP, because PvP is supposed to be about fighting, not clubbing baby seals.

Not out of Black Hole, Nova, or Titan, they can’t. And that’s where almost all the gold is.

Also, I haven’t tried warping out of a fight this season. In past seasons K warping was disabled if there was an enemy nearby. Is that no longer the case?

1 Like

Risk vs Reward. Piracy is also occupation in the game & you can’t pirate if there is no victim.

I guess it’s fine to have few spots with actual risk involved :slight_smile:

You disable shields with x & keep spamming K.
You’re out second after your shield disables, taking only minimal damage unless your warp drive is literally sticking out of your ships butt ^^

Here Here! Yes i think you can warp from black hole.

I agree with Loki. If we want them to come to pvp and drill so they can fight we don’t want them to warp away because their defenses are nerfed because they come to mine. We want them to stay. If we limit what they can protect themselves with this would contradict the purpose incentive of rare resources in pvp so they can come stay, mine, and fight.

Sure, actual PvP should occur & should be promoted. I’m definitely not attempting to deny that.

But, Piracy as an occupation / income isn’t directed towards massive war* ships :slight_smile:
I believe ideally there would be both happening - Mining vessels inferior to pirate ships who have no choice but to try & escape with their loot (risk vs reward) & actual battles for sector control between ships designed for major scale battles.

If a single ship can do everything … I don’t like it :slight_smile: Good game design is based on providing choices to player.

How to make this happen? No idea :wink: I’m just theory-crafting

Being a pirate does not automatically mean your ship is better then someone who’s ship is balanced between defense/offense & mining. Pirates usually have weaker ships which is why they hunted in packs rather then single handedly; at-least historically. Being a pirate is a way of living and less about having better ships. Pirates lived mostly through raiding which means that instead of mostly getting your resources from mining you get it from raiding others. Historically, in the past and in the present pirate ships were usually weaker which is why they usually hunted in packs.

2 Likes

That would be great, if game mechanics would allow ships to actually escape combat.

One of my biggest pet peeves with this game (along with lag shots and the lack of joystick support) is how all ships have the same top speed regardless of their weight and the amount of thrust they have. That means if warp isn’t an option, there is no escape: the only way out of combat is death or victory. Since victory isn’t an option for players who are forced to take ships that have half the weapons of their opponents, that leaves only one possible outcome: death. That is bad game design.

Obviously Rex can’t do anything about the game’s silly identical top speed for all ships, but it needs to be taken into account when it affects other aspects of game design that are configurable by the server owner. For example, it completely invalidates your text above as it applies to systems with no warp paths - which is where most of the resources currently are - in that there is no possibility of escape.

Of course, that’s exactly what is wanted by people and factions whose idea of “hunting” is the equivalent of tying a tame animal to a post and shooting it from ten feet away with a machine gun. These players whined like babies every time one of the baby seals they were trying to club actually managed to dive in the water and escape, so Rex responded by tying the baby seals to a post for them. And that’s exactly why so many players avoid PvP like the plague.

Did someone noticed any performance improvements? The only thing i notice is playfields still crash again and again and again…

I’ll agree with Masel here, I have yet to notice any performance gains after this fix. Homeworld System is still laggy, we crashed it on NA 5 times a few nights ago. It doesn’t feel like these recent changes, no matter how good they look on paper, have benefited the combat at all.

I think that some of these changes are necessary, but maybe some of the more extreme ones can stay until next season. Then we can have a vote as per what the community wants, and see if performance is really better than the “content”.

2 Likes

I get random crashes daily, one minute I am flying on planet, get a disconnect prompt to the title screen, log back in and my ship is exactly where I was when I was kicked, and I am usually 1.4km away from it. Happening on both NA and EU. Really don’t feel like flying into PvP in anything but a throwaway vessel at this point because it’s so random. Population doesn’t matter either, happens on both servers. Something major changed with the 10.x patch, my screen stops responding as often as the Empyrion 5.x patches during a heavy battle. Only I am flying around with nothing happening.

Sorry Dr.Dark, I meant to say my HV should not have lasted that long. I love fights that last a long time.