Let's have a conversation about Bases and Shields

Good Morning,
I did couple of tests yesterday/today.
While I think Bases are in a good shape, I was missing some dynamic and still felt Anti Matter weapons are not where they should be.
Tank dropping is also not something I like that much, so the only legit change I think was the rebalance / rework of Anti Matter for now.
https://github.com/B-iggy/HWS-Configs/commit/86b6a2c5874e7bae9379b7175390a9a6b416af6d

If those guys are able to drop HVs, then they are for sure able to run with Epic Plasma Cannons around, melting also Base shields with it.

Again, a base should be a high effort, team based objective.
Itā€™s also a more balanced approach for smaller factions. While they have a strong support for their outpost, they have not the numbers to maintain it. Balances it out on itself.

Before they had no chance at all, cause 1 HV could take out 3 Bases easily.

And for large factions itā€™s a continouus choke point or ā€œmeet and greetā€ how I would call it.
Still, using strategy around base hugging it would mean the red gold is free available.

So yeah, Iā€™m interested how it evolves.

P.S.: The ā€œCarbonā€ topic was indeed bad handled by me. Itā€™s hard to see pressure from all sides and I reacted too slow for sure.
However, major reworks should not happen while a season is running anymore.
For that I offer github and those that complain, just missed their chance for giving input before the season started.

4 Likes

1st off i never said i was TAW or a representative of TAW. only can go off my experience so let drop that part now.
if it wasent around 15ish mark than how many was it? i dont remember seeing you there so you have 2nd hand knowledge to begin with unless you were just sitting at the base. but ill review video of the fight later

donā€™t think there is a need to waste ur time to prove someone wrong :frowning: but if so, it would be a topic for another post or on discord.

Sounds like no raiding this season boys! Waiting for JVI to swarm our shit with 45 players holding plasma rifles!

2 Likes

i mean is this still gonna be PVP or is it PVB (Player vs Bases).
IMO bases kill pvpā€¦ i mean. whats the point in fighting sv vs sv or hv vs hv, only to have the almost defeated player just run back to his base and get their shields up? or spawn a new ship? thats so pointless in my opinion. I have never been a fan of bases seeing as one can just run to it and pretty much just be safe till the enemy leaves.
wishing players would fight each other instead of fighting bases.
PVP NOT PVB!!! PLEASE!!!
No risk! No Reward!

1 Like

Maybe in the distant future it might require a small special ops team to sneak in past the shield to place an EMP by the shield emitter when battling bases?

I donā€™t pvp anymore though (I like to chill), so Iā€™m just throwing the idea out there. When I did pvp in other games as part of a team, having to formulate a strategy and then execute it as a team was always fun.

I do very much appreciate the attention to balancing PvE and PvP needs. Not an easy equilibrium to maintain in any game mixing the two.

3 Likes

My favorite part is no one here pvps. If you did, youā€™d understand bases would annihilate you before you even got remotely in range.

DS3 is opting out of giving our opinion on pvp in the future.

Kind of expected using a direct approach though, no?

I wonder if any Brit back in 1776 ever stopped and yelled, ā€œWeā€™re lining up right in front of them!! Why the &^%$& are we lining up right in front of them!ā€

If tweaks were made some day that allowed for the type of teamwork and gameplay that was suggested, would that interest you?

Didnā€™t mean to say you should run out and try it now though. Iā€™m sorry if you did, that must have been awful!

Thatā€™s about as useful as running face first into a brick wall but hey, Iā€™ve never run face first into a brick wall.

Iā€™ve definitely encountered tons of walls though and I gotta tell yaā€¦ ladders.

Ladders are freakinā€™ awesome!

I know, I know, doesnā€™t apply, brick wall, totally different. Sorry.

2 Likes

good on you ds for wanting things to be fair to your enemy

Guys Rexx configs didnt kill pvp. PvP is dead because there is nothing to raid. Sure there are empty bases throughout PvP. Theres no real wealth out there. Our wealth is in donor space, and ocd. 100% unbeatable. Maybe donor space should be PvP, but only the faction that owns the Donor space can base there? Maybe ocd should only be available in starter planets. Whatever you pull out is all you take into the season with you and then the last week of the season Rexx can open ocd zones to pack up and carry to the next season? If those two changes were made no matter the config weā€™d be fighting all day every day.

1 Like

In theory.
Butā€¦

Donors are donating as things are now. Are you sure they will continue donating with the changes you are suggesting? Hypothetically, say they didnā€™t want to donate for a game they no longer enjoy when pvp is forced upon themā€¦ then what?

Imagine:

Some players: Need more pvpā€¦ look at all those pve players not pvpingā€¦ if only pvp players could kill pve players, or at least rob them at gunpoint, all pvp problems would be solved!

Inexperienced Devs: wow, brilliant!

Some other players : uhmā€¦ pardon me, donā€™t mean to offend as it goes against our carebear creed to do no harmā€¦ butā€¦ what made you think we suddenly wanted to pvp? Mr. & Mrs. Dev? Iā€™m really sorry but I donā€™t think this is a good idea. Weā€™re here because we like not being forced to pvpā€¦

Some players: Itā€™s ok! No one is forcing you to pvp. Even better for us if you donā€™t. Weā€™ll just kill you repeatedly, take all of the things, and then when youā€™ve rebuilt to our satisfaction, weā€™ll just kill you and take all of the things! Itā€™s heaven!

Inexperienced Devs: whoa, our players think itā€™s heaven! Huzzah!

Some other players: Yeahā€¦ no. Thatā€™s justā€¦ no.

Some Players: expletive expletive expletiveā€¦ thereā€™s no one to pvp! Stoopid devs!

Inexperienced Devs: How could all of this have possibly backfired! I should get a job at Sony.

*brought to you by old farts who have seen this pattern repeat ad nauseum since Roman Gladitorial games.

2 Likes

there are also those of us who roll with the punches and adjust to the changes then offer conversational feedback for improvements/workarounds.

i for one consider this game a constant work in progress that will never be ā€œcomplete.ā€ most complaints are from those expecting a fully functional release since well before the alpha tag was dropped. sadly entitlement overcasts perception in most cases :frowning:

I agree with what youā€™re sayingā€¦except I never said anything about removing PVE, and there are more PVE fields now than ever here in HWSā€¦ Iā€™m just saying change how OCD and Donor space works. You wanna be a carebear? You have PVE space for that. Correct me if Im wrong but the only need to leave PVE is for goldā€¦you have Phoenix for EVERY other resource right?

1 Like

technically PvE and PvP have everything needed to do anything you want here. there are so many ways to gather every resource. itā€™s not all easy and some are very time consuming. the main reason i have little interest in most PvP sectors is it holds very little value for time spent collecting. yes action is fun but efficient time spent has been my main focus. those that say they cannot find resources in any situation are just too lazy to search for it. everything needed can be found if the effort is put forth.

but then again the topic here is about base shields, not resource gathering or P vs anything.

Agreedā€¦i was just commenting on the complaints about the config and how it hurts pvpā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought about that later on.
Iā€™m just thinking donors are donating to how donor space currently works, pretty sure their donations are instrumental to the server, so maybe thatā€™s not the best place to make changes.

Not keen on having my OCD raided as I really have no interest in protecting it.
As you said, I do have PVE space. Love it. Hope PvP gets worked out for those who love that.

I had no idea this thread was still going lol.

If youā€™ve been around for a year or so, youā€™ll notice this season A TON of donors either dropped their support completely or have ranked down their tier of support. Myself included. There are many reasons for why this happened. Most notably, PVP seems hopeless at the moment. I would expect even more PVPers to drop off soon if things donā€™t change.

That said, Rexxxus has made a somewhat good attempt at fixing issues in pvp created by Eeleon. But it is still not the same. Not even close to good. Barely playableā€¦ It is sad that more time isnā€™t being spent on improving PVP.

Empyrion is my favorite game. HWS is my favorite server. It sucks watching it die so quickly. I think a board of advisors would be an excellent step into improving the pvp in the server. Only allow PVPers to join the board. The board shouldnā€™t allow anyone to join - it should be a few people from each faction.

1 Like

100% Agree. Fav game, and fav server, but pvp has been progressively worse since 5.0ā€¦

1 Like