New Blueprint Class Formula + Emp Class Calculator update

well cubes have more tris as has been pointed out above so more cubes = more tris = higher class ?

This does seem to be the caseā€¦ The logic here is extremely flawed. All that happened was that they doubled the ā€œTrifactorā€ from 0.0001 to 0.00002 and halved the overall divisor from 6 to 3 in the formula, essentially doubling the effect that triangles have and halving the total triangles/devices/lights required to get to certain classes. If pyramids STILL have fewer triangles than normal blocks, then you would want to build with ONLY those, essentially completely negating the effect of the change. IF pyramids are the cause of lag, they (meaning Eleon devs, not HWS admins) essentially just made it so nothing but pure-pyramid ships will be flying around. Kind of counter-intuitive.

1 Like

problem is that they will count in other blocks aswell not just pyramids, so overall the class limit will rise.

yes they have doubled the weighting on the no. of Triangles = from 0.0001 to 0.0002, AND reduced the devisor from 6 to 3

see new formula here:

Then why is my classes all the same after update? My Huge battle CV is still class 3 11k blocks 276 devices 2 lights all my hv/sv are all still class 1, maybe its becuase Iā€™v never used pyramids? or maybe its because Iā€™m testing on creative and on server itā€™ll be different or something let me check.

Edit: Yip even on main server its still class 3.

It only affects BPs that have been saved since the change. Otherwise they are still being calculated using the old formula.

AHH dammit I see thanks.

Edit: still class 3 after re-saving, but Iā€™v always built to reduce lag rather than to maximize the most out of class, so try remove all those crappy pyramids re-save and see if it makes a difference.

On the new calculator it shows class 9 in game it says class 3 O_o

If you read, Rexxus made an emp calculator that you put in the info in it.

Perhaps Rex would reconsider size classes considering the impact this will have.

Note: ingame you donā€™t see any changes yet! EXP is not out yet with the new formula!
At the moment you can only use my ECC tool for the future Class.

HOWEVER: you have to save your blueprint later again to see the correct / new changes.
The control panel > statistics are the ā€œrealā€ data. So if you see a difference in the blueprint factory window and your statistics you have to re-save your blueprint.

2 Likes

This change is not live yet. Hence your classes not changing on any of the normal servers. Do not know if it is live on experiment branch yet.

Just to recap, someone brought evidence to devs that their calculation was flawed, and disproportionately weighted people into using triangles, which count as lower triangles, but render all faces at all times. People did this so that they could build the size they want in the class restriction, and to counter lagshots. So to fix thisā€¦ they make class sizes smaller.

1 Like

Thanks @Rexxus for giving us the heads up with your fancy new calculator! :D. With the way it looks, I think a drastic increase in class size for Bases and CVs, like to 8-9, to at least accomadate for this season and what everyoneā€™s worked on so far. SVs and HVs may not be bad to keep at a class 3 right now, since it looks like class 3 with the new formula will be around class 1 now(roughly). Bigger changes to what is overall allowed would be more ideal at the end of the season, not half of the way, or 2/3 through.

2 Likes

So Hi - Im certain that Im not going to feel the weight of this change as badly. Im still learning to build ships really.

Will this change mean that I need to stop using square blocks and use only pryamids or triangles in order to have maximum amount of blocks for the class 3 cap?

No trying to start or carry on an issue. Just want to understand what I need to start learning, all over again.

We will have to wait for more info it seemā€™s what we have now is not enough to decide that, but as far as lag goes flat faces touching other blocks faces is best for performance.

Eg your shipā€™s outside as 1 layer with its detail and squares in between and then what ever detailing you want on the inside.

1 Like

Honestly, now that I think of it, this may just force server owners to recalculate their particular class restrictions. If this is the calculation they go with, class restrictions will likely be raised (I assume) since the higher class that the new formula forces wouldnā€™t necessarily increase the load any particular ship has on the server - it just makes them a higher class. I doubt the overall effect of the new classes would force TOO many people to change their ships, save for the true behemoths.

Ideally, they would want to increase the triangle count of pyramids instead of completely changing the formula like this, but I know little about what that would entail.

Hopefully not, Iā€™m very confident that my new SV is still class 1, and will be very difficult to hit in SV/SV combat. They wanted class 1, with recalculated changes to weight usage of pyramids, so letā€™s do this!!!

This isnt ideal at all, really, it would be yet another bandaid. In reality, the pyramid DOES have lower triangles. What is important is how many are rendered. The triangle count in a blueprint or class calculation NEEDS to only count rendered triangles to be relevant. Otherwise if they nerf pyramids, people go to slopes. Still less triangles, and all rendered faces. Same effect. It is not the pyramid that is the issue, it is the triangle calculation.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure you are talking about the amount of rendered faces on the blocks. For those that donā€™t know, Squares donā€™t render like pyramids. If you need an example go to creative. Spawn a ship using pyramids and one using square blocks and use god mode and clip inside your ship. That is exactly what he is talking about.

Now the real question is how much difference does back face culling really make, and would it be a better solution to have an option where you can turn all blocks into a single mesh (devices still seperate) after spawning and remove all inside detailing, and have the whole shipā€™s hp count as a single unit.