New player with a few questions

Hi all, I just joined the server yesterday and am trying just to get my feet off the ground, so to speak. I spawned on Earth, have made an SV, and am currently working on gathering the resources for a CV (which I desperately need to obtain before Friday). The thing is I’m not sure where to go from there. Please note I’ve read the FAQ and all of the guides on the forum here.

1. I made a trader faction, but per all of the game messages the trader planet is full, so I guess I can’t build there. I need a place to mine so I can build a backup CV as well, but per my understanding the minute I warp a system to mine resources I can be blown up, so I’ll be back to square one. I can send a CV to deep space, but ultimately that doesn’t change the fact that I have to come back to a planet to mine more resources and thus lose my only ship. So where should I go after earth in order to be able to build up to the point I can afford to lose a ship?

2. I’m sure I saw a list somewhere as to what resources can be found on which planet, but now I can’t find it. Would anyone have this handy?

3. I heard that if you have a base/ship set to the “private” faction it can be seen by anyone far away, even in deep space. For now I changed my SV/base to my personal faction, but is there any way to always be sure that I’m not bleeding my location to everyone?

4. I would like to do some missions to make some credits (currently I have zero). I pressed F1, but the missions all seem to be based on the base game and planets, not HWS. What missions will and won’t work? How do I earn credits?

5. How do I disable/filter the chat? Right now it gets right in my way when I trying to craft things. It’s also constantly filled with spam-ish messages that have no relevance.

Thanks to all for your help! Looking forward to this!

1. You most likely dont want to disable chat. This is the nice place where the server tells you that its going to blow you out of the water if you land on the wrong planet.

Agreed, hence if there were some way to either modify the size of the window so it doesn’t block the exact area where my constructor builds stuff, or just filter it so I only see important messages, that would be great. :slight_smile:

1. Even if trader planet is " full " you can still park your CV on the surface, although you will get taxed for this.
    2.Home world plants are all named for the ore types that are on that planet. Most planets have crystals on them and the moons.

2. If you have your ship / base set to faction no one but you can see it.

3. To make some credits check the wanted on the market place. You can always find ore to sell. Also FA:supply will give you a start,

READ the Guide lots of good info : plus F1 has some in-game helps / commands

1. The safest (PvE) option after the starter planets is the rotation planets (the next ring out on the map). One of the three systems/planets is PvE at one time. Check the map to see the rotations. You can either change system every 2-3 days or stay in one (deep in space) and mine the planet whenever it is PvE. But minerals are limited
  2. Still working this out
  3. As Token said
  4. The base game missions work. In fact they work a bit better, because you can satisfy some of the “tour” conditions on either planet. But basically Akua=Earth and the desert planet = Mars. Definitely do the Epic Pistol mission.
  5. You can’t change anything about chat. Still very much alpha
1 Like

Even if trader planet is " full " you can still park your CV on the surface, although you will get taxed for this.

My understanding is that the energy costs for this are ridiculous, however. Even if I just want to turn on a constructor to refine some ore I wouldn’t only be able to run it for a few minutes, even with a gazillion fuel. In fact, refining promethium might cost more fuel than is created. Am I wrong?

If you have your ship / base set to faction no one but you can see it.

I understand this, but is there any way to know that all of my ships are currently set to my faction? It seems that people regularly lose their ships because they forget. Also, if I create a new ship at my remote base doesn’t that instantly broadcast my base location to the entire server?

It really should not be an issue. Just turn off your Engines. Once your engines are turned off you will use a lot less fuel. If your really a cheap guy, you can also turn off the lights. I personally would not turn off the guns though just in case theirs a surface wipe and the drones pay a visit.

Even if I just want to turn on a constructor to refine some ore I wouldn’t only be able to run it for a few minutes, even with a gazillion fuel.

Yes you’re wrong. As Nopal said, on the surface fuel is mainly chewed up by the engines, usually because the ground isn’t flat so they have to adjust.

Gravity generator also chews up a little bit so turn that off too. It’s worth experimenting to see what saves you power.

is there any way to know that all of my ships are currently set to my faction?

Not as far as I know but that would be a great addition to the Structure Commander in the short tterm. And also worth suggesting to the developers. I’m sure they plan some kind of structure management interface over time.

Hey beric, we talked briefly last night. I try and make it out to earth to help people out when I can, if you need a lift off planet and to the first rotation planet I can help this afternoon, we will be lifting off about 1800-1830 EDT. As for where to go after starting, As was mentioned before, the pve rotation planets are your best bet. If you move around intelligently you can avoid most risk, the biggest of which being the nights of rotation, and warping itself. Warp camping is “prohibited”, so if you get messed up immediately let someone know. Otherwise keep your warp tank full, especially immediately after a warp, and keep a system locked. If someone approaches, take off in a random direction, build up speed, then flip towards your warp and hit k.
For credits, try to get together a mining operation. There are LOADS of people constantly building on this server, which makes for a constant demand for most ingots. The trick is finding the right cost to sell at.
The chat takes a little getting used to, but the big thing is that the server messages frequently push you to the readout for faction chat, which makes it look like there are more than there really are, particularly if you are in a faction of one. Just hit period again and it shows the global chat again. And if you disable global chat honestly you are shooting yourself in the foot as a trader. You don’t get heads up about requests for supplies, things to sell, and warnings about pirate movement.
Heres the best tips I have for ya:
-stay moving
-look into the OCD, It is your best friend
-Try and team up with other people. The game gets better with teammates.
-Never say your location over global chat. because there are always pirates listening.
-Dont underestimate the value of fiber. I made about 8k yesterday strictly from picked fiber. There are a lot of people looking to make farms.