New way to play GG?

They would also spawn during PvE… that is the problem. At least if I make them a lot. Otherwise it is just a copy of Vulc City…

But I might can try a trick with a batch hack… lemme try

2 Likes

Yeah; if not i recommend we keep GG in its current form and have this other idea as an addition.

I know i’m just one voice among many; and recently we’ve seen lots of new forum members which is fantastic but sometimes I feel they suggest solutions that have been tried and tested in the past; things such as Arma. Which for the most part were a success; and now we have GG which in my opinion has been one of the most successful PVP playfields on EU yet! So a job well done to you and all involved over the years for getting us to this point.

Undoubtedly GG has been a fantastic thing for many factions; especially the big PVP factions. Whereas your idea can also help the less experienced PVP factions and the newer players; therefore by having both; both parties are happy. :slight_smile:

Best regards and goodluck on the batch hack!
Wise.

Well, we are not trying to fix it, Rexx is appearantly… but, really if it’s supposed to make bp and fighting harder, remove BA from gg for good

2 Likes

maybe two different crowds needs 2 different solutions for GG

3 Likes

and just as a notice, I LOVE gg eu, love the dynamics, the adrenaline, the diversity, if it was by me, it would be like that ALWAYS, but… there is a crowd on NA that won’t let that happen, so it is really necessary to “fix” the dynamics there, or wait for that crowd to wear out lol… but I see that some of those “fixes” of gg are not beneficial to EU crowd and I share that feelig of “don’t fix it if it ain’t broken” =/

2 Likes

This wasn’t supposed to be a reply to fe but it seemed to do that anyway…

Balancing? From what aspect? Why not balance it by making all the starter planets like homeworld, then everyone can hold hands together and have all the resources, never complaining about them again.
This is not the solution…
Larger, more organized factions will always have the advantage and you’re back at square one. I think the gold rush mission may be more up your alley, and that is already in-game.

A fence is not building to create lag. There are pictures of bases created to generate lag, ours is not one. Nor is this relevant to the topic.

Not sure what you’re referring to, this doesn’t make much sense.

Most of the active PVPers (from both sides, heck @Quasar and I agree on something) are agreeing on this point… there is no agenda, we just don’t see how this benefits PVP. As someone else said, this is the most highly rated season thus far. Why make such a drastic change?

To bring up some others’ points:

Agreed. This is why bunkers aren’t much fun in practice. Cool theory, but not much risk.

We already have the gold rush mission for that. I think gold rush was a fantastic idea that solves the “noob/PVE-friendly” issue.

I don’t entirely agree, but it made me think of something. Block ships. That’s all that’ll be here. People aren’t going to make halfway decent looking ships when they have the chance of being under fire. This doesn’t foster creativity – half of the game is building!

Again, larger factions will always have advantages in PVP. The gold rush mission, again, is a good solution for this.

I can’t say without looking at the server performance, but in my experience Homeworld seems more draining on the client and the server lags more/with lower numbers than GG. GG seems very stable in comparison.

I like this idea. If you want PVP in a more isolated instance, as an alternative to going to PVP-heavy GG, I think having this kind of thing would be beneficial. It should not replace it, though.

The fact is, though, this does not in any way favor new players. It puts them at even more of a disadvantage. New players are not able to logistically support themselves going into this nor do they have the building experience PVP veterans do. From a start-with-nothing perspective, yes they’re on an even playing field. After the first 5 seconds though they are at a disadvantage. In addition, having stuff for new players is good! When do you draw the line between new player and just “player”? I’d say when they leave the starter planet. After that, you can’t give “new” players advantages. It’s too hard to track and enforce.

Nobody has brought up server restarts.

This is a very good point.

This already exists in the Gold Rush mission.

Do not limit factions. This is silly. Factions are a group of players providing content for each other and other factions as well. Giving factions a disadvantage does nothing advantageous for the server or community. You want people in factions so that they have more of a reason to stay and play.

I completely agree with this. Though, again, I bring up the Gold Rush mission…

It’ll just move us to another planet. If you want PVP, you know where to find us. If you want gold, you can try it in a PVP atmosphere or do the Gold Rush mission.

2 Likes

Alright boyZ and girlZ !

I found a solution and it’s insane how much more is possible if you actually spend time with such things! (NOT telling that I actually have time but I suffer under procrastination…)

I lost a bit of motivation about this suggested Instance GG version since it is just too much work for me alone in less than 2 weeks and not everyone likes it. I expected more welcomed words but it is true that the disadvantages are quite major for so much work I have to put into that “test” (to make this good I need like 3 days to build it)…

BUT I found the Armageddon Bottleneck.
With a little batch file trick and some magic I can accurate decide when a meteorite rain should happen and when not. In combination with a server restart of course.

So during a prime time we can say PvP + gold meteorite rain. During PvE we can say stay low.

Good?

3 Likes

I love the amount of hard work you put into this game Rexxus; it’s awesome!

May be worth giving Arma another try but yet again it doesn’t solve the issue of timezones. Not everyone on EU and NA is from the same timezone therefore OLP was actually more forgiving than a fixed PVE/PVP rotation.

However that being said I don’t suffer from the above issue. It’s defo worth a try if others want a change. I’m behind ya! You have my vote! :slight_smile:

Best regards
Wise.

I’m unfamiliar with Armageddon, but from what I understand:

• Planet on a daily PVP/PVE rotation
  • During off-hours it’s PVE where players can build up safely
  • PVP it rains gold meteorites

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Two MAJOR issues I see:

1. Favors a certain timezone or schedule. If people work during the day they may miss all the PVE time, for example.
  2. Meteorites suck. They are not worth the amount of resources you get from them currently. If this can be increased this might be viable.
2 Likes

If your gonna do meteorites nobody is gonna bother since at that point they could just go to one of the other planets with gold meteorites.

They simply don’t give enough ore for the long time it takes to mine even one.

Keep the gold surface of GG, have it switch between PvP & PvE every 3 or 6 hours.

• For the timezone issue we have OP

Not so negative! :slight_smile: Did you try the new CV drills I implemented today? How fast you can drill Asteroids now into dust?

My plan is to improve the T1, T2 and HV drills. The default config isn’t really good imo at all. Especially with bigger planets soon grinding should be the least trouble you have… rather the travel distance + time…

So if you have 30+ meteorites AND a fast drill it might be the same as the current Golden Globe surface dumb left click job. EXCEPT it is more interesting and more dynamic!

6 Likes

I’m personally biased for keeping GG, but talking about your idea.
Rex, instead of modifying config files and restarting server, why dont you just spawn the meteorites via the modapi, using Request_Entity_Spawn (via EAH)?
I didnt test this myself, but I know you can spawn meteorites on a planet from debug menu so I assume modapi will allow spawning bps with type flag 0 (asteroids), unlike F2 factory.

Thank you for buffing the cv drill.

That CV one really needed it.

1 Like

Right, that should be possible with EAH as well. Good observation. However I am not sure how much of a performance issue this would be. I know that every function in EAH which is connected to structures is very hungry performance wise.

I need to ask Jascha next week about that one.
Could be a feature then. But a quite complex one since he needs to control the randomness and the location because spawning them via the tool won’t cause them to fall fancy like they do ingame wise, I think.

And changing the Config is no problem. The drills are crap anyways. And server restarts are needed as well.

But yeah, let’s see.

I suspect EAH scans each active playfield on a periodic timer. This will give you the count of meteorites on a playfield.
As about the height, just spawn them at 30 meters, which is mostly the ground level on GG. If it spawns inside a hill, its an extra 10 seconds job to dig to it.

Thank you.

1 Like

Just want to throw my hat int he ring since I will be coming back next wipe.

Agree with TheState on the new GG idea that its terrible for all the reasons he said. THe primary reason being it promotes combat logging as a primary technique. Luckily smarter heads seemed to have prevailed from the initial rush of omg lets do this sentiment.

As for the Armageddon idea. Meh no reason to mine those when you have crust. If you make them better than crust then why have crust and have the performance hit? Maybe a instanced deal like you talked about with GG that one time during the NA primeitime and EU primetime it opens up and there is meteor rain of only a few meteors but insane amount of ore and insane rate of mining.

You get there secure the gigantic meteor and then mine it quickly for an insane amount and then have to evac it. Also you are on a clock and if you dont make it out everything goes kaaabooom.

Really enjoying this idea and the improvements. With proper buffs either on the meteorites or the drills I see no problem. Even because talking to some coleagues, the gold has been a litte bit “too plentiful” and has made maybe us newer generations a bit too “soft” on the economy of the server. Gold should be struggled (maybe not too much as the instance would make it) but meteorites I really think is the right touch. And Armageddon, altough I’m unfamiliar with it, by what the “elders” have said about it, seems nice. And I’ve always been fan of the pve/pvp rotation specially to implement newer players on the pvp. GREAT MOVE!

At this point I’m gonna lean towards voting no on the instanced thing…looks like the idea is already dead anyways.

I would really like to see the amount of gold asteroids in BH increased, and the amount of gold contained in each of them buffed up like maybe 5-10x. Spread out a bunch of random ones like 5k from the main asteroid ring. You know, so you have to do a little bit of exploring and so new players are less likely to get swarmed trying to mine gold (I think there are a few at the depots right now). I have yet to try the new CV mining drills, not sure how fast they are…

CV combat has been dead for a long time and I would really like to see some CV config rebalances but this is for another topic.

1 Like

I think this will be a no go for most PVP guys. Why not set this up in gold rush or something. Losing GG open PVP would be a big loss to a lot of people.