OCD: Lets Discuss

You have a point but… This is Empyrion, any content added that strays too far from the base concept of the game, or people’s expectations of this type of game, will divide the player base. The primary draw is Empyrion, the secondary draw is HWS server with its benefits. I do not play Empyrion to chase bunnies around period. (I did not complain about it either. I just played Mount and Blade on Sunday instead) I do not play Empyrion to hack into OCDs. I play for the basic concepts built into Empyrion. I play on HWS because the mods ENHANCE the already existing gameplay and actually fix some issues common with sandbox and survival games; namely endgame longevity.

1 Like

@Quasar Empyrion is a fight over resources. The OCD stores resources. It’s an extension of the core game so is completely related. The bunny was one way in which Rex tied the OCD directly into the game. I don’t see how you see it as unrelated at all.

All excellent questions, sorry wanted to wait until I had more time to respond. I don’t think any responses I have used previously will satisfy your side of the argument though so I’ll refrain from going into too much detail.

If done poorly the OCD would lose its purpose which is why I feel the need to discuss and why others started up a topic when hacking was initially brought up.

I personally talked about restrictions requiring being in the same playfield and then locking out after failed tests and other things along those lines. After this discussion some other things have become clear though.

The important things:

1. Access in PvP zones
  2. Safe storage of specialty items
  3. Ability to increase networth each season

I think the different OCD levels could be completely reworked to include security levels along the way. This would require the community to be open to such changes though and low levels could even be more friendly with increased security levels or all levels could have a certain number of “secure” slots. I just see so much potential here even if only in PvE content that I don’t want to see it given up on.

One thing in particular that comes to mind for me, related to OCD 7, is having half the slots 100% secure but not accessible in PvP and the other half somewhat secure but you can access them in PvP. Maybe having some additional limitations added to swapping/organizing slots so you can swap slots every few minutes to allow a bit of flexibility but other than that you have to setup your OCD build prior to entering a PvP zone. Risk/reward balance.

That… is actually not a bad idea.

The only problem is finding someone with the mythical OCD 7. Where art thou?

I said the OCD is related, it is hacking into other people’s that is an entirely different direction than I am interested in. Do you want opinions other than your own or not?

That is fair, I apologize and must have misunderstood your meaning.

Maybe the focus should be redefining the meta of the OCD then:

• OCD 1-4 100% secure
  • OCD 5 + separated into High and Low orbit
  • High Orbit defined as 100% secure and inaccessible in PvP
  • Low Orbit defined as insecure and accessible in PvP
  • Each new level beyond 5 adds new security levels to the Low Orbit Drone/Slots

Just as a place to start the discussion???

Want to level the OCD playfield a tiny bit for new players? Let everyone save auto miner cores from season to season. You ask what difference will this make? Well for me I started late last season and worked hard to get my OCD up to level 4 so I could save my Factory resources fot this season and yes I gladly donated to get that ability.Dumped all my miner cores into OAM for Z and E and any left there were wiped on restart.THis season I wanted to get my role play going so being Alliance I had to save up 77 auto miner cores need to get that 7 extra roleplay each day. With daily pay,weekly faction bonus,raiding POI and buying a few at the auto miner store I finally hit 77 after 15 days of playtime. No cores went into the OAM at all till today. If I had those 77 auto miner cores from day one I could have had those OAM’s up and running getting me rare ores.Not sure if I will be able to reach 300 RP to get to Earth and Mars this season but I am trying.So help us newbs out and let us carry over our auto miner cores to give us a tiny little boost from start day one. Sorry for the long post everyone. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’d back this with the cores being slotable in lower level OCds; i’d also have it so AM fuel doesn’t wipe (maybe AM contents instead wipes with each season, however with the very high credit cost associated with AM cores it may be better for the AM fuel NOT to wipe for newer players.

Best regards
Wise.

High-orbit/low orbit only works with being able to access in PVP, and that is literally one of the ONLY draws of OCD 7; you remove that and the handful (literal handful of people) who have it would probably be asking for their 700 million credits back.

Ultimately the ability to put-in and take out during PVP (with large cooldown times) is an enormous privilige and one that has been rightly earned by those poor sods who are sad/crazy/dedicated enough to reach that mighty level.

I for one would prefer the hacking idea (with it being OPT-IN only of course, so folks wouldn’t be forced to lose things.) But like you said too many folks panicked at once without actually applying their brain so the idea got sunk; which was a shame.

Best regards
Wise.

The high/low orbit would be the opt in/out that you’re referring to. The additional perks of OCD 7 would still apply but would be in the form of more low orbit slots and more security/less chance of getting their [low orbit] slots hacked. The discussion would come in the form of what it would take to make OCD worth the jump in price the way it is currently.

Then stop trolling. Let people keep what earn/kill. The ONLY change I might recommend is a nerf to the 700mil. for OCD. Even at 1 mil in gold per day it would take you two years… or eight seasons. Again if you nerf my OCD even one slot that means I either have to give up an ammo type or a resource type or I lose 15 mil in gold bars. Gee wonder why people get mad.

Cause that’s exactly what I’m doing, trolling… :roll_eyes: Responses like these get us nowhere.

Going off this math you can’t ever reach OCD 7. You can’t save more than 130 slots worth of gold ingots at 60k ingots worth of ingots per slot which totals about 7.8 million gold ingots. You basically have to work with a faction to attain OCD 7.
EDIT: This was corrected below by Chaplain please ignore, my math was quite wrong. only requires about 47 OCD 6 slots to reach OCD 7.
I see no problem with this personally. This is a game and the highest pinnacle that can be achieved is what you’re saying should be readily available to you or it’s not fair? You’re entitled to be angry about it because I have a different opinion about how things should play out to the point of calling me a troll and attempting to belittle me?

I’m not trying to put you or anyone else down, I’m trying to have an open conversation about ways to keep options open. I have presented an idea about how to make OCDs still something completely secure for most but also allow the flexibility to be something more for those willing to accept a bit of sensible creativity. Did you read anything beyond the title?

I didn’t present any numbers, never said that the “High Orbit” would be reduced in number in any way, just made a suggestive starting point for the conversation to take off from. Did you see that suggestion or just see your OCD under threat and automatically get angry and start seeing red?

The only time OCDs would come under risk would be where PvP is concerned, if you want to have access to your materials in PvP then they would also be at risk of being hacked/stolen. This could come with some time limitations to shifting around/swapping of materials within the OCD slots from high to low orbit to allow some flexibility to get a large amount of recently mined gold out of harms way, but not those precious aliens cores that you forgot to move earlier in the day, etc. It would be about remaining organized while in PvP and managing your OCD inventories between a high/low orbit rather than drop and forget as it is now.

Just a changing/shifting of the meta, but it could also allow access to the OCD at lower OCD levels just with higher risk and less inventory spaces. This isn’t called trolling, it’s called discussing, try it.

Your math is a tad off. 1 stack of gold bars in OCD = 15 mil. 10 slots =150 mil, 100 slots = 1.5 bil. I have been saving now for 6 seasons. Another 4-6 seasons to go.

You’re right lol, I did 1 gold ingot = 50 credits, silly me. I’m not in front of the game right now.

Didn’t mention fair, didn’t say I was angry. You wanted a conversation about change. Lets talk about taking two years to get something. Games like War Hammer 3 didn’t last one year and had more support. We might not see two years.

as much OCD changes are uncomfortable OCD is still something Rex himself made for the game.

If you want to look at it from a legal standpoint,

1. rex server,
  2. rex code,
  3. rex ocd,
  4. ocd is donation not a service.

I know it’s not comfortable that OCD isn’t what everyone wants but rex does his best job to adjust what he can with players but everyone wants their own version of what OCD should do.

OCD at the beginning you could load up with everything then with restrictions it did make it harder but it does force you to play the game.
plus from a technical standpoint less is more. the more stuff you have in an OCD and the related files it’s stored it, it does cause lag like previous season, with less stuff in OCD it makes the server go faster.

1 Like

It was certainly implied. “If you nerf my OCD even one slot that means I either have to give up…” this is an argument about how it isn’t fair more than anything else. Once again though I never said that we should take away any slots just wanted to open up discussion about high/low orbit with low orbit being accessible in PvP and high orbit not. Low orbit no secure, high orbit 100% secure. Still no comment from you on that, just trying to play with my words and pick out specific words to try and twist the meaning.

No, you didn’t say you were angry just that “…Gee wonder why people get mad…” and I don’t know how else to interpret the word mad, apologies for that.

Yes, I want a conversation about changes because changes and new content are what keep games going. New and interesting changes that the community likes, not things that they don’t like. So no I don’t want to try to force something that nobody likes, but it’s true that you’re never going to please everyone and if it turns out that the majority want to see something new but a very small group wants to keep things the same who should be catered to? Or vice versa of course.

You use Warhammer 3 as an example, but what’s your definition of more support and how does that game and studio compare to Empyrion and Eleon. Bigger project, higher costs, more critical market, higher risks…I mean technically Empyrion has already lasted 3…4 years right? Sure it’s an Alpha game but I played it 2 years ago and people were playing it before I ever laid my hands on it. I don’t know how you compare a released game to a Alpha game in terms of marketing or longevity, do you? But that’s not the topic at all.

What’s your thoughts on high/low orbital drones? Would you be willing to give up your security in order to gain access to your gear in PvP at an earlier point? What sort of security measures could be added at OCD 6 and 7 to make them more appealing?