The Case AGAINST removing OLP on EU

Well looking at players who actually needs to work for a living putting a base in PVP playfield without OLP will mean they have to stop pvp or playing at all. OPL provides that opportunity to also enjoy pvp. There is nothing worst sitting at work and hear that enemy’s are attacking and clearing your base. would be pointless even doing it at all. Where you say its killing pvp its also supporting it. yehh, it needs some adjusting true. Maby something like putting a limit of 2 OLP per faction globally.

3 Likes

Well said; not everyone can be as crazily 'committed (sad) as I am hehehehe :slight_smile:

trust a teacher to pad out their book report :heart:

1 Like

People where using Alt’s to have permanent Offline protected towers and people complained they couldn’t destroy them. I kind thought who cares, but I guess not being able to burn something bothered them.

Why is this broken? OLP bases are not offensive?

First of all, this does not prove OLP is needed, this actually proves it doesn’t effect typical play for a noob at all, because it doesnt offer any protection when they need it.

Second, Everything you said about “Spending” is all not involving OLP and not really having anything to do with our discussion.

Third Your point about the real world is umm, wrong? Any smart army attacks at the weakest point, when the opposing army is SLEEPING or away, or distracted on another front, OLP takes this away and gives little hope to smaller factions.

In short, Big factions weakness is sleep… Its protected by OLP. Small factions weakness is getting blown up while mining or really anything. OLP does nothing for that. And honestly why does small faction need its constructor on GG OLP!!!

Umm… What? You like attacking OLP towers/bases? Show me that vid.

No smart small faction or country or army attacks a Bigger force in broad daylight while they are all in tanks and ready… NOBODY. So with OLP no small faction even bothers at all. Big factions can just camp or patrol small factions stuff anyways. Small guys have to get MATs sometime, while online.

If you just want permanent bases on GG, I get that. But thats not OLPs real purpose.

1 Like

So when a Real world country leaves a army base in enemy territory… A big blue shield appears and stops everyone from taking it until they return?

Also you forget the fact that just like real life, if you want a base defended from Nighttime attacks, HAVE A GUARD lol. Night watch, or patrol. Because that IS done in real life.

Ok let’s go again.

1. OLP does help a noob as it enables them to have their gear protected at the same level as a proper faction when offline. Without OLP a big faction could still ‘attempt’ to man their bases with a day/night rotation (yeah some facs would be crazy enough to try!), whereas a new-ish player (we haven’t even asked wtf a new player is doing on GG, seriously? A new player shouldn’t be anywhere near GG if they know what’s best for them, plenty of other much safer places to farm gold.) would lack the required manpower to do so. Therefore OLP provides an identical calibre of protection to ‘new’ players and the big vet factions.

2.0 The point about spending was in reference to one of your points you meant about farming without spending. It sounded like you were accusing people such as myself of having a simplified view; therefore i chose to inform you of our ship casualty figures to demonstrate that NOTHING on EU GG is for free…

1. If the enemy Army is sleeping in a real world confrontation then something has gone seriously wrong for the defending side lol. Even Saddam’s army in Desert Storm were awake for the fight. And towards the end of your third point i think the mask finally slips and we see what’s you’re ACTUALLY meaning either on a concious or sub-concious level is “I can’t attack these bases without being challenged by defenders.” That’s the whole point of a PVP base. It’s a player vs PLAYER base; it isn’t PVB it’s a PVP setup.

Sleep is not a weakness as such as it is a necessary part of real life; and exploiting human nature by attacking a big faction when they’re all offline sleeping seems pretty pathetic to me; maybe if you can’t destroy the enemy base in its current state it may be time to adjust your strategy, i’m more than willing to give you tips and attacking advice; what i’m not willing is for us on EU to lose a feature that many of us enjoy as it allows us to work as well as play.

Tell that to the soldiers sent into the Hurtgen Forest in WW2…

So in other words we need to somehow accept that whilst we’re dealing with our real lives and just accept that our bases will be offline raided most nights as we’re sleeping or on days when we’re working? No thanks, i’d rather be around when a base is available to be attacked. This is the problem; you’re conflating soldiers with us; gamers. That’s all we are, and frankly that’s all I want to be; if i wanted to be a soldier I would’ve signed up; but i don’t want to be a soldier therefore i’m perfectly happy playing at war instead with Empyrion. :slight_smile:

Also don’t forget about my point about timezones. OLP helps those in akward timezones from being punished during prime-time for everyone else. You seem to have skipped over that point; probably a result of my crazy word-walls, sorry about how long they are, conciseness has never been my forte! :stuck_out_tongue:
Best regards
Wise.

PS: This is all kind of moot for now anyways as Rexx has confirmed OLP for EU and possibly NA for 8.0.

This is wrong, it PREVENTS them from being attacked. And from watching your videos you have 6 guys or more so when a small guy is online defense is not going to help, he must escape, either way OLP does not make for more PvP. At best it gives you more little guys with a false sense of security who will get waypointed and destroyed as soon as they are online. Or if you ignore them then again it is not the OLP that helps, it is you choosing to let them live.

1 Like

Here is the real reason you want OLP.

Umm, your trying to decode my motive… I am a NA PvPer that duels and attacks regardless of the odds. My Angle with OLP is I want to ATTACK anything at anytime I am there ITS A PVP ZONE!!! Not have to wiggle around OLP and scout/kill my SV/HV to see if it has OLP right this second. I have even bombed a garage ship in a hanger guarded by 10 bases. But this isnt the discussion and this will be my last post as I see this is pointless.

I am not afraid of defenders, I hate when they dont have to defend because of OLP.

Hey Grizzly!

That video was an example of a pre-planned attack that was about half a week in the planning. That’s how it went down so beautifully, and not to big ourselves up but we’ve become pretty good at tower-attacks this season as a result of the first few weeks of GG, so what you saw there was those two weeks i go on-and-on about in which we managed to successfully cause a lot of damage. However I disagree about your point as-to how it would have been futile to defend it.

If more folks had come online they could have put a big dent in us in terms of attrition therefore reducing the longevity of the assault, however we’d picked a pretty good time and had decided to go for them at the point of which when they were mining. Pretty sweet strategy that defo worked in our favour.

Also that point about :

[quote=“Quasar, post:29, topic:10576”]
when a small guy is online defense is not going to help
[/quote] No it really won’t as his OLP won’t be working then.

Those ‘little guys’ were the Russian facs, this was when they were making the mistake of using towers instead of proper bases, making them an utter joke to take out. OLP does help depending on how many of the Russian factions are online.

In fact that’s my ONE and ONLY issue with OLP right now: OLP bases can fire. If they removed the ability for OLP bases to fire then it’d resolve lots of the abuse going on by defenders and attackers no doubt.

If after reading ALL of my posts you’ve managed to deduce it to one reason then i frankly think you may have missed a few things. That is one of MANY reasons as-to why i believe OP should stay. We burnt out after two weeks WITH OLP. (Then we left GG for most of the season after that and just relaxed.) So this idea of me wanting some sort of permanent base on GG is a load of BS. Especially as I and GMC and ACM and AAA have spent the better half of this season purely on the offensive on GG. So in fact i want the Russians to keep the OLP that they have right now as they aren’t abusing it.

This is another one of my issues; this one-shoe-fits-all approach. EU has had very few problems; in the first two weeks we had TWO PEOPLE abusing OLP; two people! NA i know it’s much worse, so if you guys think it’s bad on NA then that’s cool and if you have suggestions for NA that’s cool also. I’m just saying don’t bring NA solutions to EU non-problems. I’m not aiming this at you guys but just as a point in general for everyone. There seems to be a different league on seriousness going on here. On EU us and the Russians are pretty chilled, it doesn’t seem to be the case on NA.

Best regards
Wise.

I think if OLP wasn’t able to fire then it’d remove a lot of those problems. Say there’s that same garage ship, and 9 out of 10 bases have OLP; only 1 base can fire and suddenly it’s a fair fight. But i also think that dynamic AG zones should become a thing.

I may make both the suggestions on the Eleon forums, if you’re more interested in my idea about dynamic AG zones lemme know and we’ll see if we can go to the Eleon forums together and get it sorted.

Best regards and it’s nice to read your posts even if i strongly disagree with 'em, good to see other people contributing their own ideas.
Wise

Lol, same paragraph, so OLP on GG is not for new players but for you.

Saddam was attacked at night, so…

Just the ones in contested PvP playfields. There are deep space and PvE areas for safe bases. Your solution is to force other players to only attack when it fits your schedule. How is that logical, lol. Are you going to post your schedule so other factions know when it is acceptable to attack? PvP playfields are 24/7 unless you want Rex to shut off the server while you sleep and work?

If OLP cant fire, then whats the difference in being dead? You just dont want to rebuild.

Also That garage ship would have been OLP. So no go.

True to a point. My understanding is that RexXxuS wants both NA and EU to be the same. Guess where all the NA players will go with OLP bases if only EU has them? I don’t mind EU and NA being different myself. I even suggested that the maps be different.

I agree that your opinion is just as good as mine, just weighing in for both sides. I hope this is seen as a discussion/debate not as negative.

Agreed!

Yeah a new player really shouldn’t be anywhere near GG to be honest. But if they’re silly enough to go there then yes OLP mitigates the offline hours somewhat. But this isn’t old Arma with the generous PVE rotation (which i’m sure ya remembe :slight_smile: Good ole’ Arma, many folks got rich quick off that planet, we thought we had it lucky then before mineable terrain; hehehehe :slight_smile: ) This is a perma PVP playfield, new players should be avoiding it like the plague on both servers; I know i would be until i had set up my OCD and had a fall-back base and resources. Surely you agree?

And i’m talking about the ground force going in in Iraq; may have been in the night though i’m not too sure.

I can’t believe you want to revert it to the bad old days of deep space bases (don’t-ya remember the shakes? Oh boy! Those shakes gave me PTSD or Epilepsy, i still can’t figure out which! :frowning: ) and PVE playfields. PVP bases should be preserved whilst nobody is online to defend them. I think the issues you guys have at NA is that one faction having somewhat of a monopoly there; on EU the Russians are split over multiple playfields making it easier to go for bases that don’t have OLP enabled and only have a light garrison.

Well Rex shutting the server down whilst i’m sleeping would be one solution…(i’m joking of course :stuck_out_tongue: ) Or we go to a case of where people retreat into the deep absesses of space; greatly reducing the regularity of PVP engagements. We’ve had SV/HV only playfields before, we’ve also had base playfields lacking bases, and it’s boring as hell; that much I know. Boring for everyone and bad for PVP.

Is the current system we have, perfect>? HELL no. But is it better than it has been in a while? In my opinion yes. But there is still a way to go. Here’s my three step solution; all of which requires Eleon and not HWS.

• (I) Disable OLP bases from firing.

• (II) Create a DYNAMIC anti-grief system (This is to fix point 1. As the main reason Eleon gives against point 1 is that enemy bases could fire on an OLP base as soon as a player logs in.) So the AG zone can distinguish between ‘friend’ and 'foe. So a ‘friend’ could place a base within 350-400 metres, (a reasonable amount away so the OLP balloon doesn’t extend over other bases.) whereas the ‘foe’ AG could be upto 700-odd metres or more once the bigger planets are implemented!

• (III) Disable base-spawning AND making the dynamic AG zone configureable so Rexxus and us can tweak it for maximum PVP awesomeness!

The TL:DR of this is that OLP provides protection for those sleeping or IRL whilst not being used or abused to protect friends or cover their ships, or used to attack enemies either. The best for all-worlds involved.

I dont care. As long, as the major factions on GG can LOLstomp ANY base in 5 minutes it makes absolutely no sense to set up „any“ base or vessels there (other than cheap „fire and forget“ HV/SV).
Sad but Rexxus changed HWS from a place with PVP fun for everybody into a playground for major 20+ member factions with a lot of quantity but very limited skill.
OLP makes no difference in the current setup.

You on about EU or NA?

I just have to point out that this is false. You can totally ally/group up with some people for a mining raid which is loads of fun. Hot drop into a combat zone with X miners, Y SVs, and Z HVs. The miners set up temp bases and mine as crazy fast as they can while the combat team tries desperately to hold off attackers.

This to me is what you should see and expect in a PvP zone, not to safely set up shop and have everything still completely intact when you return a dozen hours later. That’s why I will remain on NA and continue to enjoy that style play(hopefully RexXxuS doesn’t return OLP to NA next season, just reduce the max BA count.

That being said I still support EU maintaining their status quo and having their OLP since that is the style they have become accustomed to.

2 Likes