"Who is online" philosophy [POLL]

Hey @everyone,

don’t ask me why I did this… guess due my procrastination illness but well, here we are.

What do you think about the new feature I implemented (yolo) yesterday?

After investigating hours about that and why others have it and some not (for example one of the biggest mobile game Clash of Clans) I’ll ask just you.

• I feel exposed and want to lurk hidden
  • I don’t care if others can see easily if I’m online

0 voters

It’s rather interesting than important and I’m fine with both.
I even coded my own version of “user control” because the author of this plugin has no time for this at the moment.

For that go to your Preferences and say “Show Online” => No
(it has it’s limitation though…)

Something for your coffee break maybe.

RexXxuS

3 Likes

I’d rather you not be able to see who is online on the actual server…(yes I know you can’t do this without Eleon)

Actually I’d really like an ignore user feature on the forums as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

seems ok to me, we can see who’s online (and what they are playing) via Discord

You can already see who is on line by looking at discord

This is only showing who is signed in to forum? Or, I’m not sure.

I’m not talking about discord, I’m talking about the B menu, and you hide your status on discord already…

Scenario: faction is planning attack against other faction or doing covert operation
-Discord status is hidden so it cannot raise alarm
-Online status is visible and opposing faction can easily detect possible attack and prepare before anything can take place.

Being able to see online status turns pvp-atmosphere into something where smaller faction can never properly go against bigger faction or alliance because their online spotter can always notice possible threat beforehand and counter it.

The pro’s of turning online status off:

-No need for online spotting role.
-Less boring micromanaging.
-Enables surprise/covert activities
-Does not force players to login/logout in intervals in order to hide the real amount of players currently online when moving to position in a coordinated way.

By the way I was tired after work and clicked wrong box. So when counting votes please add +1 in favor of “I feel exposed”

6 Likes

Good point about the PvP aspect even.
Too many variables and we on our side shouldn’t increase them.

If the plugin would allow more options or only show “Online (10)” this would be enough already.

Will turn it off later and thanks for your feedback. Interesting.

In games this is even more tricky. I guess it would be cool but maybe also less PvP boosting.
I don’t know… if you go in deep details you can spend days with this topic alone and all of its faces.

Didnt see any problem in this feature. I was as Moderator on few L2-forums, and everywhere, online-status of forum-members was shown. Why it must be hidden? Idk. There is no heavy problem for this.

If we get rid of the B menu then I believe OFP should be gone from pvp planets. The B menu prevents players from going near enemy bases that are offline protected. The offline protection will ruin anyone’s day.

1 Like

Eleon developed this game as a PvE game. The evolution of the game, much to their dismay, has caused them to rethink everything. The “100%-Online listing” is counterproductive. Why should my enemies know I am online?

I say remove the global B menu, and create an Alliance/Faction view.

1 Like

can the b menu be removed ?

“B menu” together with Alliances together with Radar is a topic for Alpha 9 as far as I know.

At least it’s known and planned for the future.

1 Like

well then till 9 this is a moot discussion because I can always see who is online with the b button.

Just remove your B key. You don’t need it.

2 Likes

Most games have the ability to see who is on the server, PvE or PvP and it works fine there.
It’s nice being able to see who is online, not just faction or alliance members.

3 Likes

I’m just reading this so my bad if it’s a moot point already, but what if the B button showed only user names if they’re not in the same playfield and only a total number of people (without user/faction names) who are in the same area?