WRONG range of guns, sometimes completely wrong. Server setting or game bug?

I noticed a few quite relevant changes not documented anywhere, not sure if it’s a game issue or a server config not written.

1. The rocket launcher T2 was supposed to have a current range of 545m
    I tested this thing with 80+ rockets and the range was somewhere in the area of 445m.
    It’s hard to stop on the distance, I had a friend using another scope to watch if an explosion happens.
    If no explosion happens there is no damage (tested)

2. CV pulse lasers
    Here it’s a lot more drastic, they were supposed to hit at a distance of 1.2 km but in reality they had a range of about 600 meters.
    I tested it on a POI so it was hard as the POI had a range of 1.45km
    Thats a cut of about 50% max distance.

If it’s a server setting this should be explained somewhere, it’s really frustrating to shoot thousands of rounds and finally realizing nothing hits at all.
If it’s a game bug there is probably nothing we can do :confused:

Did you test in space or on planet?

I always thought the ranges given were for space, and the actual ranges on planets are less - I may be wrong of course :slight_smile:

This is absolutely spot on. All ranges are given with assumed zero atmosphere. Range in game will vary based on what planet you are on, but will be a linear proportion: that is to say if one gun outranges another, it will always do so. The range indication on the lower right of your hud however does update dynamically, and should show roughly what the range will be for where you are. Try popping in and out of a planet and watch those numbers update.

1 Like

There are two ranges:
MAX range and CURRENT range, I reported the current range which already takes atmosphere into account.

1. The rocket launcher was tested on a planet, current range said 545 but real range was 445, 20% lower than what it should be.
  2. CV Pulselasers were of course tested in space, it was a POI I attacked. (They don’t work on planets)
    They always have a range of 1.2km, real range was about 50%

How are you determining max range? Is a player at the other end?
sorry, went back and read your methodology. Before assuming that no damage is done when no explosion occurs, maybe video on both ends, two players shooting at max range with a test rig CV. Then check health of each block between shots. Real data gets bugs fixed.

I used the distance shown ingame at the target.
In case of the planet POI it’s inaccurate by maybe 6-8 meters (a few blocks)
In case of the space POI it can be more inaccurate but the shooting distance error of 600m is so large, it doesn’t matter.

I really shot a lot of ammo.
About 80 missiles on planet and 2000+ pulse shots in space.

As soon as the “wrong” distance was reached a few single hits took the targets all out.

I tried it again today, the pulse laser on CV only has a fraction of the range stated.
The rockets seem to be ok.
The turrets also work.
Only the pulse lasers are bugged.

You can also see it when they target something:
When you fire into the wild the shots go straight forward from each laser.
If you fire on a target the shots converge on the target.

When you fire at 1000 meters they don’t converge.
When you fire at 600 meters they converge.

That right there is interesting to me. What size target were you working with?
Any chance the shots just missed because they were not going towards the target?
For a good test of this Id recommend having one player in a cv, another next to a cv or base made up of a 20x20 sheet of steel, watching the shots hit. And please record.

Currently all my mates don’t play :wink: Hard to test.

But I fired around 5000 (!!) shots on all different parts of a SPIRE-Sattelite POI.
It’s quite a large structure.
I mostly pointed into the dense areas where you can’t really miss.
Not a single shot of those 5000 hits.

But when you get closer and closer there comes one moment where suddenly all shots converge.
You hit every single shot.
Move back a little bit and not a single hit happens.

If it’s not a server setting that nerfs the pulse laser it’s a game bug with targeting.

This is interesting. I’ve just been going with the assumption that the graphic you see is not an accurate representation of the trajectory after a certain cut-off in distance. Have you gone up close and inspected for damage from those long range shots?

edit - There was a brief period a few seasons back when ranges were heavily nerfed - perhaps by Eleon. So maybe the graphic is tuned into ‘that’ distance?

No damage was done, that’s for sure.
Like I said, I wasted about 5000 shots of ammo, that’s a very long time shooting.
About 100 shots are required to do serious damage. (about 10 volleys)

The converging graphic you see is a great PVP and PVE indicator if you are actually properly aiming.
If the shots go straight you aimed bad or it was out of range.

I saw the same, poi cannons didnt fire at me but the moment i placed a defence it was shot at a large distance, looks like the ranges of poi weapons are a bit off