Balancing shields

A 3000 block sv cannot reasonably carry much weight, and the more it does the worse it will preform in combat.
To add to that, you cannot get pentax from hws traders anymore and it’s expensive as hell to buy in. :unamused:Even if there are clouds of this in pve HQ system for some reason.

Remove the clouds of pentax, move the pve deposits under large fortresses, and the pvp ones out into the rimworlds, make sheilds use massive amounts to charge up and you’ll soon see people opting out of installing a shield be choice.
All by choking the pentax.

People will be going station to station buying pent instead of selling it.

It’s got a 50k tank, make it use 10k-20k just to charge up at t2 base or capital ship sheild to 100% You are talking about millions of hp points after all, its not that unreasitic.

Bases are very underpowered right now.
They need their ranges increasing across the board all weapons should significantly outrange everything else in the game.
And outgun, and the shields should be significantly thicker.
It cannot move, it needs to be Hardened.

We shouldn’t have to worry about a triple class 3 base cluster array getting taken out by one lone class 1 fighter while we’re afk for an hour.
It’s absurd.
But that’s how it is right now ~
Bases are useless without piling hv on top to supliment their firepower.

I’d overpower flak vs sv, that’s what they are supposed to be for in the first place after all.
Both ba and cv, make them super effective against sheilds too.

I’d also let cv fire flak and laser turrets in atmosphere!
Make them less useless, it is a damn capital ship after all, it shouldn’t be outgunned by a small fighter just because it came to planetside.

:expressionless: Then get rid of that ludicrous 150block limit.

Gonna be both honest and blatant, I don’t like most of your ideas, bases are most definitely not useless and if it takes twenty thousand pentax to charge shields then you might as well delete them, and the block count limit is there because people abused large CVs and rammed them into bases to win fights easily. and as you said

well, I can carry about 8,000 pentax and just barely fly, (assuming I’m in space) so trying to put 20,000 or more in there would make it so I couldn’t have pentax in my shield tank and fly, either shields or being able to move.

Sincerely,

WillEatsPie

2 Likes

A 3000 block sv cannot reasonably carry much weight, and the more it does the worse it will preform in combat.

You can carry almost infinite amount on your character. Even if it will be changed (which probably won’t happen any time soon) there is OCD7+. I don’t think it’s right to give high OCD lvl users so blatant advantage over people who are not interested in money grinding or are just not able to get so much. You have ship, you have ammo, you can fight enemies on mostly fair terms. Grinding 700 million to start pvping is just…wrong

What I wanted to say is your proposition will require a complete rework of several base game and server features to work, which will have much more impact than the shield change itself.

1 Like

I would say remove shields in pvp but leave them in pve. Seems easy. Also @WillEatsPie about HVs being used as turrets should not be a thing. I never liked it and it was abused a few seasons ago and pretty sure changes were made to counter it.

2 Likes

Really shields need to be removed completely from pvp. It has no place there.
The strategy used in shields fighting is retreat back when shields go down then an ally goes forward and waits for their shield to go down and then they retreat then repeat.

I posted whats below in another thread but its also related to shields so i’ll post here.

Here are some videos that prove the point that shields and carbon blocks should be removed from pvp. A ships shield in pvp are the layers upon layers of blocks protecting it. Shields are made strictly for pve. Pve ships have exposed cockpits which tells you right there in no uncertain terms that shields are made for pve only. Pvp cockpits are covered by layers upon layers of strong blocks and these are their shields!

On my checkered knight hv i was tanking like 5 plus enemies without shields. This tank was made with combat steal hv blocks not hv carbons and still weren’t able to kill me and i was pretty decently mobile too. My movement made it hard for them to hit me too. :smile: Also, i would have lasted much longer in that fight if i had my auto-reposition key set working which i hadn’t, and got alot of my few hovers that i had on shoot off. So thats why i had to pull back.Anyways, that checkered knight has been updated with more hover and its less likely it will flip as much anymore. https://youtu.be/YsEhx5q37CY

Also, heres another one with plain hv combat steal blocks, and lasted a long time and with no shields against like 6 enemies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8motUSQIhdY

Also, here is another video from about a day ago this season of a hv with plain combat steal for hv’s tanking like 7 plus enemies. I’m not sure if this was a carbon hv though. But anyways, thats further proof that we already have decent blocks to last a long time in pvp without an overpowered block like carbon and then plus shields.

Don’t know who was faster but thanks a lot for your feedback everyone.

A new meta will start and I’m looking forward to your feedback:

4 Likes

I like being able to build cv and hv turrets. Adds a bit more game to the game.
And I like shields in pvp :sweat_smile: gives us guys who don’t do pvp regularly more of a fighting chance.

Cycling shields is pretty hard right now because of the long cooldowns on regenerating them, even when they come up, they’re off again in 10 seconds flat anyway vs cv lasers.

And cv vs sv the drops a fighters shields in a couple of shots rn.
Practically impossible for sv to hurt cv right now and I think that had to change, I’d move the fixed mount dumb fire rockets into a emp rocket, hard as hell to hit anyone with them anyway. Might as well make antisheild bombers a thing.

In a cv? Or a base?
I didn’t talk about hv and sv. They have a fraction of the health, should be a fraction of the cost.

I don’t understand why everyone’s trying to remove a feature everyone was asking for, for so long, instead of adapting it to make it work.
Don’t tell me you’ve never wanted to say to your crew “raise the shields” and have it mean something :smirk:

1 Like

Shields are fine right now, thanks rex.

1 Like

so far after a decent sized battle the shields seem ok. i can see future battles where SV shield droppers swoop in against tank CVs. should be interesting…

when i think of space battles i have a star trek mentality. shields go down at a moderately quick rate depending on constant fire. usually once shields are down there is a scramble to get them back up. when under heavy fire in larger scaled battles, shield recharge was an afterthought once the battle died down. so far so good. would like to see more SV group battles as well.

2 Likes

I agree shields are fine

1 Like

Everything looks good except for bases. Unlike all other structures, they got a massive buff. Very high capacity and fast regen, attacks involving bases result in a stalemate.

2 Likes

yes perhaps an adjustment of base shield toughness and recharge rate is in order…

1 Like

Hm, even though I boosted also some Damage output to bases like

And overall shield smelting with manual laser weapons?

I know POI are probably too heavy now but would love to see some Base assault videos like back in the Alpha 7 days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pulse laser damage to BA shields is not too high (2-3% from one shot), especially considering that base doesn’t lose DPS when shields are up, only after turrets start to get shot. Armored concrete nerf doesn’t help with sniping turrets, because svs shoot turrets directly.

1 Like

Yesterday we tried to attack a group of 3 bases and many tanks on ground and attackers svs and tanks were destroyed even before have the possibility to take down the shield. Seems too OP actually :face_with_monocle:.
Probably as politary suggested need to increase the damage of pulse lasers against shields. Honestly i dont like shields at all at least on pvp. On pve are ok since you dont need to repair your ships everytime you do a poi.
My ideal config would be:
HV an SV take 5 X 4 pulse to get shield depleted
BA take 15 X 4 pulse to get depleted (considering also fast recharge rate)

3 Likes

I agree with this post, some nerfing needs to be done, but everything needs to be taken into consideration, weapons specs like damage, range, etc, and of course shields could either be increased or decreased depending on those modifications. Skilled pvpers dont have the advantage as they once had, and the ships they use don’t always matter either because of the armor stats, now maybe a rework of all this could make things more compatible.

I miss the old pvp battles, best ship and best pilot always wins, however shields changed that but I do love the idea of shields in alot of ways, brings out that fantasy we all dream of, rather its star trek, star wars, stargate ect ect.

1 Like

I think the shields are a double edge sword on one hand if your flying solo and get jumped by a group of player you have a chance to run an safe your ship but on the other hand if your in a PVP battle shield can make those battles boring by dragging them out. The simple solution is the recharge time by making shields passive meaning if your ship or base is taking damage shields can’t recharge also in PVP areas if shields fall below a certain percentage lets say 25 percent your base or ship starts taking 50 percent damage. This would allow players who wonder in harms way a chance to run and make PVP battles a little faster.

2 Likes

Update regarding bases.
It appears that hv turrets are now capable to do very good damage against both base shields, turrets and armored concrete. If both hvs and svs are utilized in a fight, meta seems to be balanced. However, there is one major problem. It’s possible to make a base that’s 100% protected against hvs. HV turrets just won’t shoot it and it’s not possible to properly counter it.
The best solution will be an addition of rule which forbids such bases, although it’s not possible for it to be automated on server.
Second option is to balance bases only around sv weapons so hvs are used only to absorb damage.

I know what you mean but can you please PM me an up to date video about it. I think this can be relatively easy fixed by Eleon.