HWS 12 | Important personal announcement about current state and the unfortunate full wipe

Yeah, don’t sweat it. It’s cool, we know you work on this day and night and these things happen. Lots of changes => Lot’s of things that can go wrong. You have to work on top of an Alpha game with limited time to code and test yourself. So, If you need a full reboot, that is what it is and that is ok. We are with you and your team :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Credits in bank or player balance?

Only credits in the Elemental Bank are saved. Meaning the HWS bank. The credits you have on your character will be wiped.

Credits on your player are transferred to your bank before the wipe…

2 Likes

Put them on the marketplace which is not wiping, remove from marketplace in new season if needed. Yes there is a surcharge but hey, it should work.

I absolutely agree. @RexXxuS, once you shut down the server, please take all the time you need. We can wait a week. No rush. If you want to set up the servers for some testing first, I would be down to help stress and bug test things. Take time for yourself as well. You are doing a great job, and we are here to support you.

3 Likes

I agree. Some extra OCD slots (at least to accommodate the ingots invested into the factory), would be a nice thing. Of course, this would be temporary, just so people can transfer their stuff and not loose their progress. @RexXxuS

1 Like

Hi RexXxus,

i am sorry about the misfortune and the toll this has taken on your personal life, you sound dead tired.

i am a database admin and developer for over twenty years and worked for Oracle and other major and smaller companies in the Netherlands since end of 1996. I have worked with Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server and mySQL/MariaDB

Do other servers have the same issue: probably not if they go by Eleon 's way to generate the universe all in one go. Manually adding the systems or using an automatic procedure to do it is unsafe. It should never be possible too create a star or star system with the same name and the same goes for the coordinates.

The fact that this IS possible means Eleon failed in providing the database with unique constrainst on the name and on the coordinates. With the constraints in place it just will not be possible to create duplicate names or coords.

This should be donme before duplicates are entered or the constraints will fail to enable (but you can probably enable them after esolving the conflicts)

An example from the web:

ALTER TABLE Persons
ADD CONSTRAINT UC_Person UNIQUE (ID,LastName);

where the ID and LastName of a person is made unique

For the Empyrion database there are different tables adn field names ofcourse, somthing like:

ALTER TABLE SolarSystems
ADD CONSTRAINT UC_SolarSystemName UNIQUE (SolarSystemName);

ALTER TABLE SolarSystems
ADD CONSTRAINT UC_SolarSystemCoords UNIQUE (x_coord, y_coord, z_coord);

(The tables and fields in the database were different in your video so these are just examples)

The UNIQUE constraint will probably result in creating the appropriate UNIQUE INDEX to enforce the constraint, else indexes have to be created.

In the generate procedure to create your universe you will have to handle atempts to create dublicates. Either you generate some x, y, z and do a lookup in the database if these coords exist. Loop thru this until you have one that doesnt. Or you can try insert and handle the database exception (and loop until you dont get one) . The first is more elegant and probably faster .

The current problem might be solved by identifying the duplicates (on either name or x,y,z) and deleting one or more of them until no duplicates are left. However that will take you to write more complicated queries.

If you want any help on the database part i can help you out on this, if it doesnt interfere with my day job. I am on holiday now until the end of this week.

Kind regards,
mgaag

4 Likes

Hi mgaag,

i think thats not enogh. I dont know how far “one cordinate number” means, but i think, if they only one number away from each other, then you have still an ingame issue.

so there must be, for adding new systems or planets, some sort of script with more than a dupe check. You need some buffer between the numbers, depends on the ingame Range betwen the cordinate distances.
but i dont know how this game works, its only an idea for an possible source of error.

@rex, youre doing a good job. Thank you for HWS.
And also thanks for the nice playerbase.

Bye
Kray

2 Likes

Eleon Galaxy is generated in one go, i dont know the exact procedure.
HWS galaxy is probably generated with multiple times this procedure?

taking distance in account is not that much harder inside a procedure. However i suspect the galaxy in Empyrion is set up as a block structure, like a 3d matrix, empty blocks are just not stored

would love to get a final count of the rankings after the wipe if possible.

Thanks for all your work on this Rexxus. I wish that that you’d give more OCD slots for this though, as a new player this season I obviously can’t afford much of an OCD upgrade, which means I won’t be able to carry nearly as much over to the new map as other people. Increasing the per-slot limit doesn’t really help me at all.

Also, 5PM in what time zone?

2 Likes

Hello and thanks for your (professional) insights @mgaag
To clear this up: our HWS Galaxy is also generated in one go.
My Big Bang idea is just based on the “RestrictGalaxyDisplayRadius” property.
Imagine you have a street at night and a spot light is revealing a little circle on the ground.
Now you move the spot light further away each day, revealing more and more, the circle gets bigger and bigger.

The issue we had were caused by adding Supporter Playfield Stars or new Event Stars. That retriggers the Eleon Random Generator mechanism.

Welcome to HWS!
Sorry we couldn’t make it all perfect. Technical burdens.

All times I will post are always local server time, which you can find out by typing ingame “cb:time”. Or in Discord !time. Or in HWS Connect the right sidebar

Timezone: CEST
This might help

I don’t think anyone on the server blames you for this. It happens.

We greatly appreciate the hard work you put into this. We realize you are going with very little sleep to provide US with the best server for Empyrion AND it’s a free server. We appreciate the fact that you were kind enough to allow anyone who follows your (very fair) rules to join your server. This is the first server I have ever financially supported (even if it’s a small donation). One day maybe I can do a higher Patreon level. Honestly, I wish I had joined this server when I first started playing Empyrion. Please know we all see how hard you are working, and I’m sorry you’re having to reset the whole thing. We all appreciate the levels and refunds you have granted us so that we can try to start off with some of the resources we lost these past couple of weeks. If I were in your shoes, I think I would be devastated…possibly even rage quit the whole thing. I’m so glad you are determined to provide us with a fun, awesom server! You and your team are super creative. You guys think outside the box, so I know you’ll provide us with another amazing season. Even if you have to wipe the server a dozen times in the beginning!

7 Likes

Such kind words.

No worries Rexxx, veterans are used to it, newbies will get used to.

At the end we all are coming back and that says it all.

If nothing helps blame Jasha. :man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Sorry I could not find any Player called that way on either server. Is he maybe playing on another server?
Next time, please state the server, the players ID or use a correct name so that we can help you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

bam I got out of this :joy:

12 Likes
  1. You are all still doing amazing job
  2. Stop wasting time with lost stuff and how move things from pre-wipe to post-wipe. Just wipe and let us accept lost time. We enjoyed that time, we were playing. You spent much more time and I am not sure, if you still enjoying same way dealing with server and us ,) Lets say I would rather keep your passion, than my stuff.
  3. Get some sleep. You will not lose any of us just because you will three day sleep and you will get server back in another three days
  4. Did I mention you are doing amazing job?
8 Likes

Not your fault @RexXxuS, this could happen to any server. those who complain about losing virtual stuff have never actually lost anything IRL (and I’m not talking about losing a euro or dollar bill or a ring or whatever other nonsense). I’m happy about a wipe, we already quit because we had too much of everything and the game wasn’t as fun as when we started playing on HWS. But with alpha 12 released we’re back into the game, and HWS is just not a choice of server, it is the ONLY choice.

5 Likes

Well said @baddkarma74. For those who have been on here for ‘awhile’ - we understand that there are things that can and will happen - @RexXxuS and team go completely above and beyond to make this a great experience. We likely don’t even see half the stuff that goes down because of their tireless efforts. It’s an Alpha game, so those who are upset and ‘newer’ to the server - please be patient and kind - you are well taken care of on this server. Cheers.

1 Like