HWS 4.4 - big surprise + 5.0 preparation

Do we really think that this is the issue?

I have not found 4.0 any laggier than 3.4 and I am not sure this will do anything to help the lag - it will just obsolete a bunch of designs.

I’ve never experienced these issues. Even coming into out home in space where we have more than 20 cap ships and a bunch of SVs sitting around everything is just peachy. Yes there is a tiny frame drop right as they render - but we are talking milliseconds here and once they render it’s just fine. No lag, no invisible blocks and so on.

I think the issue is more the graphical problems that some lower end PCs have. Are we sure we want to impose limits on everyone to fix issues that are experienced mostly by people with bad PCs? Remember Alex who wanted autominers limited because his PC FPS would go down when he approached them? This feels a lot like that…

Even in our faction, people have had their screens freeze during combat - but here’s the thing. It’s almost always the same people - and it’s not the ones with newer PCs.

1 Like

Im not sure, its realy strange, im runing it on gf1070 with 8gb and 16gb of prety fast ram and i had these invisible structure issues many times. I realy think its like i wrote above.

One of reasons is that i also play TESO, when i port to huge city i see just black models of players with no texturing - same as in Empy, where you see just marker of ships but no ships.
Then my ping goes high as im getting tons of info about what all those ppl ahve on them, then one by one is being textured and model adjusted as im starting to know whos who and with what eq. Feels similar.
When i get all info i need ping lowers and everyhting is as should be.

Actually maybe you’re right - I’m on fiber so my ping is in the 30ms range - I am unsure if the issue other players have is their connection rather than their PC.

I am not sure I have never had this problem but have a 1080 gpu and 80mbs internet.

Yeah - same actually - so now we just need to see if someone with an old GPU but good internet connection has the problem or not.

Could be yes, i can hardly guess how much data you need to recive to see all, but ping is good for me in Europe, but its ADSL so slower upload. Hmm but lets pressume 1 ship data is size of its bp size and bp comes at size of nothing, even slow connection should be enough to deliver that in no time.
Its like on HWS Elementl market in 2.0 you jumped in and all was good. Suddently disconect and waiting for minute or two until all ships appeared and connection message disappered.
But i dont understand why it took so long, one would expect that it will take seconds max.

Thats why i belive no. of blocks matters, there were cores in ships of course but there were CVs like Gareth’s Inquisitor, 30k blocks. I still remeber how he spawned it and it appeared part by part :smiley:

I will say only this. Before Alpha 4.0 (i just play 3 days on 4.0) my ships kicked all enother in combat (and it is look like ships). Include “cube fly” SWP SV’s with 8 layers of hard steel. On 4.0 i have only two CV battle with 2-3 enemies and i fly on old ships. Time show who is right.

Well, those whose hands do not grow out of the shoulders, let them continue to fly on a square garbage.

P.S. D-armor have 2k HP :wink:

1 Like

Can confirm best ration of weight, armor and thrust on AFTs ships, im curious how this will end :smiley: that cv looks as i would expect from AFT Shipyards :slight_smile: gj

After 4.0, no one use such.

Oh rly? Cmon - Gold orbit w8.

3 Likes

Exciting guys :smiley: Keep us informed :smiley: In meantime Jascha can spoil more :smiley: Why every thread goes so off topic damn it :smiley:

I think they got the OCD to work without logging in and out - which is huge…

1 Like

that would be amazing its annoying the logging.

Perhaps they added trivia!

I’m all for reducing overall base counts/devices/block limits on planet, it’s pain to have 20 bases maintained at all times for defense.

That said, it seems to me like gameplay isn’t quite balanced as CV’s can still just hover over your base and snipe out all your towers while you are offline and unable to defend yourself.

So, I think we need to have a balance here for stability, but also for gameplay as well.

1 Like

Didn’t 4.4 fix the missile range to actually only be what it’s supposed to be rather than essentially infinite? It was in the patch notes at the very least.

Anyway - why do you need to worry about that…5AP is always online.

I’ll reread those patch notes, I didn’t catch that. I gotta sleep sometime man, and while it’s true we almost always have someone online, that’s not always the case.

BQP comes over all the time, snipes until he encounters resistance and then warps away. Sometimes we are there, sometimes we are nearby and well we’ve been unlucky before so. Having a lower base limit isn’t in 5APs favour, that’s why I bring up Gameplay mechanics to address some of the things that also are not in our favour.

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed: Problem that homing missiles exceeded range indicated in weapon info (now they should have range as shown in weapon info)

http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-4-4-modular-building.8297/

Yea - we built exactly one base on Gold. Went to sleep. Woke up - all of it gone like it was never there - nothing in intruder log. Turns out that’s what happens when you snipe it from ~1km and up with homing missiles - base just despawns. No wreck nothing. So we don’t build bases…

Right, this should fix it where when you were using a base turret you could hit someone from 1K out, but will it fix people being able to hover and shoot straight down?

Homing missiles might only have XXX range before they no longer lock, but they may still hit if inertia carries them the remaining distance.

It’s game - I expect missiles to now just vanish at end of effective range like other projectiles do. With that said - I didn’t test 4.4 at all

Right, it’s part of the challenge of holding a base right now, which will be even more challenging if base limits are introduced - at least until shields and such are introduced.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind a challenge, but I just want to see what Rex and other Admin have to think about it.