Important announcement: Enforcing the Class limits!

Im on a donator planet and we are reducing to class 4 any that we find that are above.

right that’s it I am now class 4 and I will destroy any ship that’s in my way. Not that we have any competition these days. We just fly around looking for pirate base’s and TAKE THEM OUT no sweat

The new Class Check is installed. Until wednesday you only get Warnings and will also see what ships are to large.

I would just say a class 5 with the new limits is still well below what we had with the old class 3 (20k blocks 500 devices). The only difference between class 4 and 5 is maybe 100 devices. As of right now you could probably max a class 5 with 16-17k ‘budget’ blocks and 300 devices with no lights I’m guessing. It is still a decent size cut from the old class 3 IMO.

The point of the new rules IMO is to stop ppl from building lag ships which the new rules are good at doing. If you look at the list above, theres a ship with 580 blocks and 580 lights. There’s another ship with 8700 blocks 140 devices 0 lights…sounds legit until you look at the fact their tri count is almost 600k, they are probably using a bunch of 4 way connectors. I’d probably put the owners of those 2 in prison for lag engineering if it were up to me :smiley: But they would still easily get stopped eveb by the new class 5 rules (as you can see the are both class 10)

I had to redesign and rebuilt a new base from scratch this weekend and cut down some devices/blocks on my pvp CV and that took all weekend. I still have another doozy of a pvp ship that has a decent number of curved blocks that is going to take a while to chop down. I feel sorry for all the ppl that don’t have that much time to do redesigns over the next few days who will probably lose their ships.

You are right in some regards went into creative and checked but then also went and took the (Class 6) star destroyer 17k block combat ship known for being a decent pvp ship. I replaced all RCS 1 with RCS 2’s to same agility then went and removed all farms and decor removed all lights upped all small containers to double size ones for same space same constructors same ammo box’s same fuel tanks removed a few full blocks and replaced them with corners with the flat ends facing outwards so no gaps and got it to class 4 pretty easily there is still lots of 2nd highest tier (Blue) thrusters that can be replaced with the Xlarge red thrusters to reduce devices further and there is lots of full blocks that can still be turned into cornor’s, you can make a 25k-30k block pvp ship if you optimize extreemly well.

@everyone

alright - as Jascha said: the countdown started.

However a little update

On donator planets and the Homeworld planets we allow only for BAses up to Class 5 to motivate both parties a bit.

2 Likes

OH thank jesus. I was not looking forward to the process of committing base genocide on the structure I have been working on since 5.0 came out, and now with triangles and lights was class 7. I think I can squeak in under 5

Lol. For what?! Its minecraft houses in closed PvE-world… What kind of motivation they need?..

1 Like

You mean other than the fact that on HWS, a base with no lights is a nightmare at night? atleast until we get the full lighting effect from 5.1 or 2… And what possible reason do you have to complain? You will never see my cv loading station flying around in space. It will never even be on your playfield, or make any serious recalculation besides being rendered when the donator is ON that planet. Rest of the time it is suspended.
Sometimes I think you say stuff just to piss off other people lol.

1 Like

Some one got very low memory, and forgot why we left without peacekeeper planets.

Don’t even get me started about base lights and night… this is what its like for me:

there is about 8 lights around my base at that time, i pretty much afk during night time because its impossible to play…

2 Likes

Just my opinion about ppl that still wants giants ships…
They want to win the easy way, just by being able to play more time, and hoarding resources to build and attack with a ship bigger than other ppl.
With class 4, then will find that a lot of people can build it and they will have to actually use skill to win over a ship of the same size.
Class 4 you can have fights with more people involved. not 1v1 boring giant ship fight till one jumps.
Class 4 you can have more ships ready to spawn and smaller ship will take less time to repair.
This is the right way to do it. Having smooth fights and then slowly going up as the game optimizes. You want to go? Please DO take you class 7+ ship to another server and let hws have better pvp fights!

2 Likes

The problem most people here have with your logic is that the difference between class 4 and class 5 is not in size, but rather building style and effect on performance. It is incredibly easy to have a class 6 ship that is cheaper than a well built class 3. Class also does not indicate combat performance.
For example, LoT has two primary classes of ships that we use, cerberus and roar. Cerberus designed by myself and Roar by @Lindenn. Each has more than 8 major versions and revisions, updating to reflect different ideas and combat mechanic changes. Currently the most recent version of each is the same basic size ship, and max turrets. Each has comparable survivability, the biggest difference is in function. They each are around 100k iron to build. But here is the kicker. Cerberus is class 3, and roar is just barely under class 4. I wont go into why, but it has nothing to do with either being a lumbering giant, or us wanting to dominate with preparation. It is building style differences. I have exactly 26 6 way cylinder connectors in Cerberus. It is actually larger in sheer block size and devices. Roar uses as many as is allowed for combat buffering, and as such has less issues with lag shots in our tests.

This is anectdotal evidence obviously, but dont go jumping to conclusions that the reason people want classes is so they can have an “unfair advantage”. It is just a little more leeway in building style when you get down to it. Cerberus regularly beats cv’s of class 5 or 6 in our tests.

When it comes to bases though, this all is irrelevant. You can have a class 1 or 2 base with max turrets and a buried core, that will last just as long as a headquarters of class 8. And you wont see these bases flying around in pvp, causing frame rate drops. Obviously you want limits of some sort to keep neighbor living a little more bearable. But dont try and tell me that it has anything to do with an unfair advantage there.

1 Like

I agree it all depends on how you build, my selfish biggest problem with a class 6 limit is that someone can go and make an extremely efficient monster costing 400k-500k iron with very low devices and huge blocks count, and to have to fight that thing would be a complete and utter nightmare (maybe becuase i’m poor atm but still xD).

Due that there is a weapon limit and is not tied to ship size, there is a point where making your ship bigger only gives you ‘more ship’s HP’, just more time receiving shots and nothing more.

That is right, I was talking only about ship to ship combat (where the fps drop is critical)

Dear RexXxus,

I am the founder and leader of the small part of FrogSwarm who came in HWS called [FST] ingame, nice to meet you. Since I perfectly understand the ask of class reduction, can you please provide the RRD graph of the Memory / CPU usage of the server ? Also can you give us the 2 servers technical spec for Empyrion ? (CPU / Memory / SDD / SATA / SAS) I’m a bit curious.

Best regards.

Hey,

what exactly do you need the Graph for? Class limit has less to do with Server-Performance then with Client-Lags. Of course big fights or massive amounts of ships will also cause trouble on the server side, but thats not the real problem here.
If you need general specs for the Game, see here: http://empyriononline.com/threads/read-first-dedicated-servers-recommendation-limit-to-16-players.5638/#post-60790

Actually my concern is about the server side. I plan to ‘advert’ the game and the HWS server to my community tonight in a meeting, meaning we could be hundred of players the next day and ~20% of it daily roaming / fighting etc. First I was hoping the server could handle it because the reduction message wasn’t clear enough to point the client side issue. Now you told me i’m ok. My second concern is the fact you pay ~300 USD for a single dual cpu server and comparing on what is available on the hosting market it could reach a 128Go total memory for very few players on it. 128Go ram needed for a game server of this size would be completely crazy and blow my mind :slight_smile:

Ah ok. I understand.
Are you considering EU or NA server?

Yeah it is really crazy… but I guess we all love the game too much that we invest more then usual. If such an amount of players will join, we might speed up the switch to the new server. Will talk with @RexXxuS about what we can do.

We are language community based in France so EU server. However wait to see if people are joining up before speeding any migration plan. Let’s see what happen :slight_smile: