Request ship inspection

I have reached out to Hummel-o-War about it with an offer to show vids and share blueprints - I’d be shocked if they were not aware of it as obviously turret targeting ship center was conscious decision - at it may very well have been just a quick “It’s Alpha - we’ll add real code here later” type of deal.

Either way I’ve not heard back from him yet.

He said homing missiles had no subtargeting and would aim for middle of structures when the patch was released.

Hi Alex,

got new toy build, looking forward to test it, any chance for a duel? :slight_smile:

The Scorpion

Hello! Epic. Scared to ask - how u gonna repair it, if someone shoot u? xD

Ofc, there are a lot of chances for duel, but I think not earlier than on Friday (or mb today, if i got some luck). Bc for this week, I had a lot of work, and go online very late.

yeah friday better for me also :slight_smile: - im allways on discord so we can arrange everything there :slight_smile:

btw, i dont repair my ships mostly, i build a new one, its faster :smiley: i put there some cores to fast it up and build it instantly :wink:

the old damaget ship i set to public so someone can have some mats from it :blush:

You should repair your ships. They take on the personality of the person who repairs them.

2 Likes

1 Like

My ships usually become possessed after repairing them >.>

[quote=“Mordgier, post:41, topic:2413”]
I’d be shocked if they were not aware of it as obviously turret targeting ship center was conscious decision
[/quote]From what I remember:

It used to be core-targeting. They implemented it as a temporary solution.
But players started putting the cores in weird places so they changed it to center-of-mass to ‘fix’ this tactic for the time being. But obviously people started changing their center of mass or simply build away from it. And the server has no rules against any of it.

Why didn’t they give turret targeting more priority first? Perhaps they are interested in attracting more new players (they care more about being able to change appearance and such and adding more blocks and various other things over the last ~2 years) instead of fixing PVP which only affects people with at least a dozen or so play-hours under their belt. From a short-term sales perspective this does make a lot of sense. And it’s Early Access and unlikely to leave that anytime soon thus DLC’s or other sources of income will be unlikely for the time being.

Secondly a large portion (if not the largest) of all players are builders/PVE/singleplayer. These players do not care much about PVP fixes/exploits/imbalances/rules.
And personally I feel that PVP is still so broken that it requires a wall of rules (or no rules) and constant recording/admin oversight, not including cheating/hacking. Saw so much abuse. Strangely enough I saw it LEAST from SWP even though I expected it mostly there. Also some people who blamed them did it themselves… There is too much wrong with PVP. But okay, it’s early access.

If this is true I don’t understand why they moved away from core targeting. Even if the core is in a weird place it guarantees that turrets fire at something useful.

Turrets are pointless atm and it’s infuriating.

he he he… Try to think wider.

P.S.: btw, center mass - isnt main target.

What is the main target then? I’m fairly sure it used to be center of mass when testing. Or they changed it again…

I know that.

Boot up a survival game. Enable godmode and itemmenu so you can spawn whatever ship you want. Spawn a BP with the center of mass in a really stupid place and fly it over an alien base and you will see how turrets target.

I’m never going to tell people how game mechanics work if they aren’t willing to find them out for themselves.

Oh that yeah I know that one.

Then why are you still saying “center of mass?”

Apparently it is center of ship not center of mass. Yeah my mistake. I confused/forgot. But I did do turret testing and managed to ‘bug them out’. You see homing missiles fly in circles and such.

yep. Geometric center of ship. Or for better understanding - “blue ball”.

Now here’s a fun experiment and I have no idea why the game behaves this way.

Make a CV. It doesn’t need to be complex. Just make a small rectangle of blocks with the bare essentials (power, thrust, cockpit). Blueprint it and spawn it. The turrets behave as expected.

Now build a column of blocks leading above the ship. It doesn’t have to be wide. When I did the experiment the dimensions I used were 1 block deep and 3 blocks wide. Blueprint that ship and spawn it. The turrets behave as expected.

Take that ship and build the same column of blocks but this time build it going down. Under the ship towards the ground. Don’t blueprint/spawn this one, just fly it near the turrets. The turret AI now behaves in a nonsensical manner and fires at neither the center of mass nor the center of the ship. The more you build down the higher the the turrets fire. The more you build down the farther away from the center of ship they fire.

I can’t for the life of me explain this. Usually I keep these kinds of discoveries to myself but I’d love input from other people on this.

1 Like

I noticed if you put blocks beyond limit, y258 for example, new blocks “appear” at y3

I only built, vertically, about 75 blocks total but I will test again tonight to see if that is the case.