Serious: deactivate Offline Protection for 3.0

Turn off Offline Protection for 3.0?

• Yes! Finally! Down with this piece of bug! Turrets ftw!
  • No! We all like bugs! They have feelings too!

0 voters

Hey guys
The time has come. Regarding this viewtopic.php?f=7&t=339 and a LOT of other issues we considering to turn off offline protection for 3.0 completely!
With OCD and a lot pve playfields coming (+ improved turrets) please think about it.

As long as the devs don’t improve this a lot there are more problems than benefits.

I understand the theory and motive for OP but it ends up causing more problems than it solves.

But if we turn it off then everyone is going to have to be willing to observe the rules on things like ammo draining etc.

I vote off.

More pve playfields? seriously… don’t we allready have enough? and yes offline protection should not be on, it causes alot of trouble, like i just did when raiding BCL, put down an base near their base and fill it with ammo while their sleeping and when login, baam bamm :slight_smile:

Let’s try without OP and see if it’s better !

I havn’t used it yet, because i am fairly new to Empy, but what i’ve red about OP on the forums tells enough haha

Whilst I voted to get rid, I think we all have to be prepared for the tears. There is too much balancing left to do in this game for it to be otherwise.

Right now I don’t really see any need for bases and as above, the balance is way out of wack. It’ll be fun though!!!

Without OP, does it not then become literally pointless to build on a PVP planet?

I mean, PVP orbits you can hide in, but PVP planets would become barren wastelands, with nobody there. PVE playfields would get even more crowded.

Definitely get rid. Trial it before 3.0? maybe?

I don’t think it will cause that much trouble just means people need to be smarter about where they build and how they play

Duke if they give each faction (Bounty Hunter, alliance, pirate etc) there own PVP world, and the rules are you cant attack people of the same faction it would be down to that faction to defend there planet, we sort of got this now. You could probably still then build on PVP worlds

OP is meant for protection against Offline Raiding

Offline Raiding is OP because people have real life and for people who don’t work or have flexible jobs will raid while you are offline. In other game, one time, I was raided by people from Asian time zone, at prime time, about 3am to 5am. During that time, people in US are sleeping while people who played over-night will spend at least 30 minutes break to come back and find 5 guys in your base raiding.

To solve the minus of removing OP, I suggest an SMS to Text system that will send text message or tweet to people’s cellphone. Since the website track who is near or attacking your property, I would go further to add SMS text message and tweet to the GUI system.

Far as enforcing rules like draining ammo, how? I am worried about dirty raiders pushing the rules so far that even a warning would be a slap on a wrist. Few people who broke rules on NA have already push it so far while it takes 1-2 days to administer and litigate the offenses. And, during the litigation process, more rules can be broken. Sorry, but, I am not thrill at rules that aren’t 24/7/7 enforce. Admin is doing a good job. But, the rules should be autonomous so that if rules were broken that people who enforces will bring them to justice in a democracy flavor. How to implement an autonomous democracy on the server is another discussion.

Then what stops me from joining faction A, setting up a base near a guy, then changing faction and raiding him the moment his guard is down?

In fact, faction bases can’t work anyway, as the lack of faction permissions (no allies, etc etc) means any turrets will absolutely mow down your allies anyway.

So we’re in a situation where you have to be spread out from your allies, on a PVP world. You do realize the new strategy will be just drain their turret ammo, then destroy ammo boxes so they can’t check how much ammo was drained, right?

To quickly stress a point: This means nothing to me, as I’m never going to build on a PVP world, but I can see people getting screwed over hard, and other people simply not bothering to build on PVP worlds. Right now we have a system where people have bases on PVP planets (some protected, some not) which allows a degree of hunting and raiding, if we disallow OP, then nobody will make a base on a PVP world with anything worth attacking (and if they have nothing worth attacking for, they certainly are not living there)

The entire concept of PVP in this game is fucked, all OP did was allow us to try and enjoy more of the planets available to us.

I cant really disagree with anything your saying, and I would never build on a PVP world either. The rules of the server is suppose to be you cant swap faction more than once per week but as you pointed out there is a lack of faction permissions to prevent this.

I say disable OP because I know how to keep my stuff safe enough for this not to be too big of an issue. If people use this post as a guide this should help them if OP does get disabled.

http://empyrion-homeworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=318

However there does not seem to be a clear solution for the moment and nothing the Admin can do, have to wait and see if the dev’s implement anything to curve this.

Duke’s points are very valid.

I am only voting for OP off in 3.0 on the understanding that turrets are also improved.

Otherwise, yes, there will no point in building anything on PvP worlds.

Although as it stands, OP actually allows people to attack your base. As your turrets are OFF when OP is on, people can mine away around your base quite happily, estimate the location of the core based on map icon and structure, dig a whole big enough for a 21 gun rocket launcher SV and sit and wait for someone from your faction to log on.

If OP removed - at the same time will remove a live on the pvp planet. And i think many people stop the play. I’m talking about my faction, at a fraction SWP…
And do you think about pirates? They will live in PVE or PVP…

Turrets will not help from undermining

Rex, you speak about Cargo. But cargo you create for people who live on the PVE planet for those protected. Change cooldowns and then it will be honest, and you only complicate our lives on the PVP planet and want to deprive OP

Orbital Cargo Drone Faction cooldowns
Lawless / No-Faction: 24 hours — change 1 hour
Pirate: 12 hours ---- change No cooldown
Trader: No cooldown — change 6 hours
Hunter: 6 hours — change 24 hours
Alliance 1 hour — change 12 hours

And remove No cooldown on PVE

I don’t think that there will be no bases on PvP cause now you really die if coming near the bases.

So there are 2 problems still:

1. Draining ammo

2. The bugged “Spawn near current location” “feature”

to 1) we have the Intruder Log and see who is dying how often during an attack. The rule 1 will be enforced more stricter then. Also in 3.0 there is a new feature regarding ammo… small sneaky spoiler: NPC Trader :wink:
to 2) that is a serious problem what will be putted in the rule but is very hard to reproduce. Only solution: make it clear to everyone, over and over again, that you need turrets EVERYWHERE. Even in your toilet! :wink:

About the underground digging there will be a solution from the devs soon.

Rex. When you in not in game, i can come whith Hover vessel and I will shoot from a distance of 1 km and destroy all your turret :smiley: and your turret dont shoot me, becouse the distance for base turret 500 - 600 meters

Hehe I know Ahax, I used this tactic myself as I played normally. But well either the devs will balance the range or you need to be more clever → underground base, outposts, etc.

[quote=“RexXxuS”]I don’t think that there will be no bases on PvP cause now you really die if coming near the bases.

So there are 2 problems still:

1. Draining ammo

2. The bugged “Spawn near current location” “feature”

to 1) we have the Intruder Log and see who is dying how often during an attack. The rule 1 will be enforced more stricter then. Also in 3.0 there is a new feature regarding ammo… small sneaky spoiler: NPC Trader :wink:
to 2) that is a serious problem what will be putted in the rule but is very hard to reproduce. Only solution: make it clear to everyone, over and over again, that you need turrets EVERYWHERE. Even in your toilet! :wink:

About the underground digging there will be a solution from the devs soon.[/quote]

You’re making a lot of work for yourself. I “know” some lawless who take down maybe 4 or 5 bases a week, with OP off, and known exploits (draining ammo, digging, etc etc) you’re giving yourself a LOT of work when everyone complains and wants to check if the base being lost is legit.

I don’t care if OP is turned off (it’ll make raiding easier) but you’re giving yourself so much work, and excuses for people to bitch :laughing:

Rex, I hope, I hope…

[quote=“ahaxopet”]
Rex, you speak about Cargo. But cargo you create for people who live on the PVE planet for those protected. Change cooldowns and then it will be honest, and you only complicate our lives on the PVP planet and want to deprive OP

Orbital Cargo Drone Faction cooldowns
Lawless / No-Faction: 24 hours — change 1 hour
Pirate: 12 hours ---- change No cooldown
Trader: No cooldown — change 6 hours
Hunter: 6 hours — change 24 hours
Alliance 1 hour — change 12 hours

And remove No cooldown on PVE[/quote]

Exactly, the OCD will help a lot too! You want basically push the pirates and make all the weak factions right now even weaker. Also with your suggestion you will be able to raid a base and just get:all your weapons again. It was a reason we set this cooldown like they are now.
Pirates are strong enough. The fa:supply is also good and will be here and there adjusted for 3.0.

For 3.0 I will really see how the balance will change regarding ressource locations, features, supplys, commands, cooldowns etc.
All of you can help me with it in writing me what you observed, what you think it needs to be buffed / nerfed.

Rex, you see my defence of base. I tell you how I come this idea…
When we be offline, for us planet come a fraction and began to dig under the base. When we start to search them, we find them on the PVE planet Z. What we could make for them? - Nothing!!!
And you say they are “weak”? They come 2 week and try to destroy as when we are not in game…
They are not weak, other factions, they have protected PVE planet, near for us, they need one jump warp