Upcoming HWS changes | limits | rules

Good choice, with the block caps already a thing this would have leaned things heavily in favor of defenders.

It has nothing to do with HWS. The game isnt ready for the fighting we are doing.

Less autoturrets = less lag. That is what i can see from a player side. Dosnt matter ifg its CV / Bases or HV. Autoturrets makes everything lag.

Otherwise i love the changes and is hoping for some good limitations on SV blocks and HV blocks so we actualy can start killing something.

2 Likes

The number of cores doesn’t matter that much, what kills the performance are autotracking turrets and the number of projectiles in the air.

2 Likes

5 bases per faction on GG = bad idea = lag of doom incoming !

block limit on vessels = very nice idea, but please do a HARSH cut on maximum blocks. If you analyse the suggestions concerning block limit you will notice that veteran players are just trying to protect their size 1,49 SV brick designs by suggesting to you a very high number of maximum blocks. This will allow these players to keep their size 1,49 brick SVs.

A lot of vets are advocating for block limits. Most of the people you perceive as a vet, have actually only been on HWS for 3 or 4 months. The number of vets opposing block limits are fairly low.

3 Likes

I would love to see automation removed from turrets with enhanced range and damage. Get a teammate or two as gunners.

3 Likes

I see you do far more complaining than playing the game. If you haven’t been paying attention the majority of the veterans are ok with a block limit. What I see happening is whatever amount RexXxus decides on, the actual PvPers (not you) will compensate for this shortcoming, and we will hear you in the forums again how GG is overpowered, “your 999 block SV/HV” this, ran through a stack of 999 corn dogs, etc etc…

In the end, you are a solo player against multiple factions. If you like the solo life then that’s fine, but you shouldn’t scream GG every 5 minutes when you are never on GG.

6 Likes

Yes yes yes let’s hit on the ‘vets’ again. The folks that have been around long enough (such as myself since season 2 or 3, i think it was 3) to see how PVP has changed, progressed, and genuinely improved thanks to objective and accurate feedback from players without an axe to grind.

You sir carry your axe on every thread you go on without fail. If i was sad enough i could probably trawl through all of your previous threads and on every.single.one without fail find you dissing or bashing the big factions.

We are in no way opposing block limits, in-fact i support them. But by limiting blocks too heavily all you’re benefitting are the big factions. Big factions have the know-how, and the logistics to design and build craft on a scale and at a speed that the new players and smaller factions simply cannot hope to contend with.

Say the block limit gets reduced to 1000 blocks. Immedietely in our faction in GMC our best SV designers will be working around the clock to pump out a new and highly efficient and effective model to fight with. Then the logisiticians such as myself will get as many BPs of it in my factory as i need to (Usually between 10-30) so we can use them en-masse. Whereas a smaller factions or a newer player would take signifcantly longer to respond to such a drastic change, and in that down-time the big resource-rich PVP-experienced factions will knock folks down left, right and centre. [**The big problems that new or smaller facs have here is the knowledge-gap]. After so many PVP designs you can get a highly accurate feel as-to whether your vessel will do well or fall flat on its ass. Whereas less confident players will need to test their designs in combat before reaching a definitive conclusion; that may result in them going back to the drawing board for a complete re-design, giving the big facs more time to dominate playfields.) **

Furthermore the smaller factions and newer players would be unable to match the scale of production of us big factions, (although this is a reality that those factions have to live with already, as good logistics is always a benefit from a big and well organized fac.) But this problem would be exacerbated with too strict a change.

Finally by giving a generous block limit of say 3K on heavy duty playfieds you’re enabling the other (smaller/solo/less-experienced) facs to stand a chance by previously using designs they already have, without forcing the smaller and less experienced facs into the re-design process, which can be a daunting and costly affair for new players (Despite it also being an important learning process.)

Best regards
Wise.

TL:DR If you place the block count too-low it just benefits the best min-maxers; which are normally the big factions that have the rest and the know-how to min-max in ways that other factions cant.

TL:DR2: Stop bashing big facs, if you can’t beat em then join 'em, or form one yourself and start recruiting. Stop playing victim.

5 Likes

Shipbuilding isn’t rocket science, everything there is to know hold on one page.
It’s just about following updates and changing your bp before the others. It’s available to anyone.

Noobs don’t have full OCD, autominers and all the things provided by this server.
Alpha 8 will be released, a lot of new players will get on the server, they need to nolife the game or make donations to get to the level of veteran factions.
Putting a limit on blocks also decrease the ressource requirement for ships, it will allow noobs without OCD to compete with veterans.
The server must be noob friendly, they shouldn’t have to take a week or nolife to farm and design a brick to get fun.
Noob friendly doesn’t mean easy, the server is advertised as hard and the pvp make it real, it’s about the progression curve.
New players want to pvp early with the first ships they can design themselves or find in the workshop, they want fun but they get stomped by unkillable bricks without any other solution than making their own.
Latest changes are totaly noob unfriendly, I like to play the game as a total noob each time I come back on HWS, I barely use OCD and autominer, I hated it as I suspected it would become OP and it is, it’s mandatory to compete. So I play like any other newcomer and it’s not fun, npc turrets on starter are completely OP because of brick vs turret balance. Everything is balanced around veteran play style.

I don’t think the block limit is the root of the problem, automated turrets are, I said it before, I’ll say it again.
Autoturrets natural enemies are sponges, you make more bases to get more autoturrets to fight sponges, you get more or bigger sponges. It leads to nowhere.
We should try a config without any automated turret except npc, I’m sure ships size won’t be a problem as the numbers of players crewing a ship will make it much more powerful than a solo pilot in a behemoth only able to use mounted guns.
Without automated turret, a small ship with several players is better than a big ship. It’s more about skills. It’s a very big change but we will come to it, automated turrets are designed for the solo PVE experience wich is the great majority of the player base, it isn’t for a pvp server.

Watching pvp videos of hws is super boring, you see bricks get in range of each other and trade shots while the players do nothing but move their ship. The only thing exciting about egs pvp is the possibility to lose your stuff, adrenaline rush is the motivation to learn more about the game, the server and the players to win.
When your OCD is full and you have an unkillable ship, there is no more excitment, nothing. Out of boredom you use bug exploits.

1 Like

I think these are great too. A little annoying for original deployment. However, in a warring planet, it will actually be possible to take over super defensive positions, because it wont be possible to delete and drop a fresh base immediately. Of course it will still take a lot of players, and a lot of time, but it will be possible.

Can I use my cage vessels and trap bases on pve playfields? (not starter ofc)

This is simply untrue, there is a very wide gap between ‘acceptable’ and ‘expert’ shipbuilders in this game, i know as I’m probably one of the ‘acceptable’ ones and my designs pale in comparison to that of my collegues.

It’s a nice idea that the lower resource requirement will benefit the noobs but that’s negated by the fact that they’d have to spend time and energy designing a new ship, time that could be spent gthering.

The server is already VERY noob friendly, there’s a very high proportion of PVE playfields with PVP playfields having a rotational period so PVErs can break out and mine the rare resources; hell you could even visit Arma in off-peak PVE and place autominers on the deposits!

This is a gross generalisation; when i started out as a ‘noob’ the only thing I wanted to do was build-up my resource stockpile, Noobs can also join the active PVP factions later on (like i did) receiving good blueprints that have been passed down through seasons with upgrade after upgrade.

The OCD received a 90% nerf at level 5. (Went from 500,000 to 50,000.) The Autominer was also nerfed to balance it out; where now cores are required instead of the previous readily available drill charges or pentaxid. I think your mentality of ‘I can’t have it so no-one can.’ is starting to show here. Though I will concede that you would certainly WANT to have some matts in the OCD before going to PVP space, nobody wants to be ‘that guy’ floating in space without a ship, home spawn, or the resources to get him/herself out of there :slight_smile:

Ahahaha, Untrue, The ‘Vets’ can normally be found on two or three playfields: GG/HW/ARMA, these areas have always been with hardcore PVP in mind so it naturally attracts the Veteran factions. Therefore their presence can be somewhat limited elsewhere in the universe, making it easier for noobs and smaller facs to move about on the peripheral PVP playfields.

Not in the slightest; that would destroy bases as a viable defence and If you think it was hard getting bases to where they are now, you should see how hard i’m gonna fight to keep them as-they-are. As right now bases are the best they’ve ever been, they used to be utterely hopeless, but finally they now stand a chance against some ships some of the time.

Errrrm…only One person can do any damage in that ship? What are the other players in that ship going to do?

You’re thinking about an awfully limited set of ‘skills’. There’s much more to a player or faction than his SV fighting skills. It’s about Logistics management, organization, timing, intelligence info, all sorts. It all depends on how seriously you take it really, and i don’t see why us more serious players should be punished by less serious players who simply want an easier time to destroy other peoples bases. It’s perfectly viable to do-so now. A 3000 block SV can last for a while against multiple bases, a well-designed one could probably last longer. But thanks to the Config that Ship isn’t OP against the turrets as it can only fire for a short period of time before it gets stripped of guns.

This is boring? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olp_ymzmEAQ&t=0s&list=LLY29hChKJ-bNYKeRWaN079w&index=8 Be warned Loud music and dead enemies.

Pay special attention to the size of the ship he’s using, a very small, very agile fighter.

I’ve never seen any example of that whatsoever,

Best regards
Wise.

1 Like

No, it’ll be considered griefing.

Best regards
Wise.

There are several traders like me that sell items for cheap. (Combat steel for 20 credits a block, 135 homming for 20 a block etc). If noobs are really newbs then people will help them or point them in the right direction (buy/sell/trade for what you need)… I know I do. But I mean seriously No one should play on a PVP multiplayer server alone much less part timers alone. That is just dumb, no one is Jack Reacher. Not even Tom Cruise.

Limiting SV size class to size 1 from size 3 didn’t help new players. This wont either.

I think both of you are wanting the same thing here, the question is where the sweet spot falls and that is being discussed on a separate topic right now regarding specifically block limits. Just to go over the sides/arguments right now:

• Too many blocks requires extremely high resources in order to make the ships and more specifically the ammo in order to finally penetrate the layers upon layers of armor
  • Too few blocks means that new players who want to just enjoy the game suffer from inefficient builds and lack of experience in piloting then die too quickly without enough armor to allow them time to learn
  • Damage increase was recently brought up but would increase damage in PvE and would require more balancing like doubled BA block HP values and probably adjustments to splash area and HP values of cockpits, etc.

Please go contribute there for the block limitation specific discussion.

2 Likes

This is a matter of opinion. On HWS it rings truer because of the fact that people build these SV “sponges” that a good solo PvPer can’t take out before that person can either:

1. Run Away
  2. Get Reinforcements

But it’s still a matter of opinion. The reason why the block limitation is being discussed is so that it:

• Doesn’t affect all playfields
  • Isn’t implemented on playfields that the bigger factions would prefer remain more unregulated
  • Is an enjoyable change rather than one that drives people away

Even the big factions want to see more people join the server. More people, though, means more perspectives and more ways that those people want to enjoy the experience. I like being in a small group personally, no more than 4-5 members, and taking on larger groups to harass them and make them hate being a larger group. They have an area to defend, a reputation to maintain, in order to remain a big and popular faction. I like to try to make that difficult for them to do. That’s the way I like to play, not because I’m an ■■■■■■■, but because that’s the way I like to play.

TAW members like to rule over an area and make players pay a tax to mine in that area, I mean it makes sense. That’s their area, they set the regulations so if you go there then you live by their rules. That’s the way the members of TAW liked to play during the last season.

ACP likes killing people indiscriminately(I’ll get you Booyah), that’s the way they like to play. Just because you think that people should be allowed to build these giant meaty bricks and not have to worry about dying doesn’t mean that others like that style of play. The block limit discussion is trying to create a playfield where people that don’t like that type of play will have a playfield that they can enjoy. Your sponges will still have reign everywhere else.

1 Like

No it’s not the same thing, he’s stating that noobs without ocd can compete with veterans. They will NEVER compete without using the OCD feature, it’s simply not feasible. Moreover Chobo is assuming that smaller ships are good for noobs in general which as I and You have stated; is counter-productive to the learning process.

Untrue, the difference in iron/sathium cost between big and small SV designs is not as bad as it used to be since combat steel has been made much cheaper in recent times. (It used to be the primary trading ‘block’ people would trade in stacks of combat steel more often than they’d trade in credits.) So this point is moot.

Base-buffs aren’t needed right now, they’re in a perfect sweet-spot i’d argue. Better than they have been for a loooooooong time.

I will, but i wanted to refute him here clearly so anyone reading his points would also be able to a see a response; which i believe is very important.

Best regards
Wise.

Personally I think the big issue that we’re all avoiding is Splash damage.

A higher Splash damage would be fantastic when it comes to SV fighting, especially on things like plasmas or dumbfires. However the main issue with splash is that so many blocks updating at once causes a significant level of lag alas.

I’d also love to see some sort of ‘penetration’ feature for rail-guns; that can ignore the first three layers of Arma per-say and hit anything that’s behind that. Alas I believe we’re a long way off of this feature. But it’s on my wish-list! :slight_smile:

Best regards
Wise.

I said specifically the ammo, more specifically the ammo that requires Erestrum and plastic, ya know the guided rockets. That is, from what I’ve seen of PvP videos and builds, a more popular weapon/ammo in the PvP arsenal. You can use other ammo that doesn’t require Erestrum, plastic, or even Magnesium, but then you are arguably at a disadvantage, especially when lag sets in.

1 Like

Except that then players die out of their cockpits to splash damage before the ship takes much damage at all.

2 Likes