Weekend Portal

This is a different topic…

1 Like

You mean MOBA? Yes, it had 3 planets. You could warp in anytime but only warp out on the weekend. It was neat.

1 Like

Each planet also had its own rules, One was BA only (strange rule didn’t understand the point). HV only (this was a bit tricky to get on and almost impossible to get off) and SV only.

1 Like

I do want to note that I am starting to work on modding/world building myself in Empyrion and will be trying my hand at building a Universe similar to this with several unique POIs. I know there are only 2 members of HWS actively working on improvements and such and this is more of a work in progress that I want some feedback on from the HWS community rather than something I want to try to convince current HWS staff to implement. Being that I enjoy the HWS Universe I am just basing my proof of concept off of something that I’ve seen discussed that used to exist here mixed with something @RexXxuS recently mentioned while adding a bit of a twist that might fit along with HWS without being something unnecessary or something that makes something else unnecessary.

Twisted wording above…

TL:DR - I want to world build, want some input from the HWS community based off how well this might be able to fit into the HWS Universe. I would build the Universe, POIs, etc. myself and test things myself regarding the Universe if it was something HWS staff was interested in if the HWS staff would take care of the networking part to link.

Of course all dependant on anyone at all being interested in the first place, HWS players/staff/etc.

I heard the flaw was that people camped the PvP space, does that sound correct?

There was an asteroid field there similar to Black hole. Myself and two others lived there in the short 6.0 season and rarely saw anyone.

There where these 8mil Space stations there as well. Admin cored, but no one seems to remember them but me… maybe I am crazy.

You’re predominantly EU right?

No, I have been on NA since 6.0

System Access

Each of the 3 systems, their planets, and even the POIs in the Lost Sector has access in different ways, some are accessed directly from HWS space, while others have access only from within the sector.

Portals

The way I envision this is that portals will appear throughout the HWS Universe that transport players to various different locations within the Lost Sector.

Major Portal

There is only one Major Portal that allows access to the Lost Sector and this portal is the only portal large enough to allow CVs of any kind through.

Minor Portals

Minor Portals will vary in size, some only large enough to transport a single being through at a time and some large enough to transport small HVs or SVs.

Vehicular: Portals like these will appear in open areas and outside factories/facilities where vehicles are made.

Personnel: These will sometimes be created and sometimes simulate "tears" that are not intentional. The personnel sized portals will be randomly scattered all over the place, some might even place you inside facilities that you can only leave through the same portal unless you have assistance from outside the facility.

Systems

System 1

This system houses the Major Portal and is therefore the most directly accessed by HWS space. You can bring CVs(up to a certain class) straight into Lost Sector space through the Major Portal and there will also be Minor Portals scattered across the planets and moon in the system. BP spawning is allowed. No CVs on Planets. 1 CV per faction on Moons.

System 2

In this System you will find the Alien's Stronghold, where they have their strongest concentration of force. This stronghold does not regenerate after defeated and represents an accomplishment that requires some coordinated steps. This system is accessible via warping in from system one or via scattered portals on the planet and moons. BP spawning is allowed. No CVs on Planets. 1 CV per faction on Moons.

System 3

The final system is not accessible except through portals. No BP spawning allowed. No BAs allowed. Portals to the planet do not open until portals to HWS are closed. All 3 Planets are PvP all the time but have a different theme to PvP, permanent structures will be put in place and you must try to maintain control of the structures in order to gain the benefit from these planets.

YOU CAN ONLY ACCESS SYSTEM 3 WHILE LOCKED IN THE LOST SECTOR DURING THE WEEK WITH NO ACCESS TO HWS AND NO ACCESS TO YOUR OCD

If There Were To Be PvE Planets/Space Then Where?

System 1

1. The initial contact system with the Major Portal
  2. Contains 2 planets
  3. Contains 1 moon
  4. Contains space POIs

System 2

1. The Alien Stronghold
  2. Contains 1 planet
  3. Contains 3 moons
  4. Contains Space POIs

Should there just be one planet/moon that is PvE, or one area of space? If so would those become too crowded for a 9-day event?

Should one of the entire systems be completely PvE?

System 3 is going to be a different type of PvP and technically the space outside the 3 planets could still be accessed and be a PvE space with no stars that you can warp to, that would severely limit what people could carry out though as they would have to go back to the planet and walk through a portal, etc.

I'm legitimately looking for feedback and discussion on this so I can start working towards a playable model so I can maybe have something to share possibly sometime before 9.0 lol.

Hey,
Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Chaplain remembered very well that we had something similar called MOBA.
The main problem was indeed that people who didn’t want or can read English are trapped in that system for a whole week or weekend. Annoyed and with resignation I dropped the idea again. Just didn’t work no matter how good you communicate it (check HWS YouTube, we made even a video about it)

What I actually wanted to implement with 7.X.X is kind of your idea :wink:
Zirax home should be a very attractive scary place for PvP and PvE.
And actually the other way round: you can only warp IN the system at Friday but can warp out at any time (one direction).
In the end I hadn’t time left to polish it so now it is open all the time for everyone and I’m wondering if people found out the lucrative places there…

Anyways I recommend to start working on your idea after alpha 8 is being released. Since I am already working with it I can tell that the big planets will change basically the whole game. Sp and mp.

Some blamed our current universe already “too tiny” but I have alpha 8 already in mind and rather adding more planets than systems will be the meta.
And even if, one planets will be bigger than 5 of our current planets+system together. It’s crazy. And challenging to make them interesting.

Can’t stress out enough how important good poi will be.

Anyways let’s see

2 Likes

That’s the other reason I was wondering about a PvE planet/space. Somewhere that they could be safe during that week where they could just get minimal gains but still benefit from/enjoy the experience in some fashion. As you have said in many different ways repeatedly, “You can’t please everyone.” that would apply to this situation as well, and if they don’t listen then in this particular instance they would just be stuck for a few days. That does bring up another thing I didn’t mention though.

End of Event

If a player is unable to log on to leave the instanced event before the conclusion the player's data will remain saved and can be recovered and carried over to a location in HWS Space provided:
  1. The player has their own form of transportation and storage
  2. The player is willing to pay a fee for transportation and storage for goods they’ve collected if they do not have their own
  3. The player must file a ticket so that it is known that their equipment/data needs to be recovered.

Transportation

This is simply a means to travel through a portal, a CV matching the size/class restrictions to pass through the Major Portal or and HV/SV matching the size/class restrictions to pass through the Minor Portals.

Storage

Simply referring to enough storage on the vessels that will be transporting the product/goods from the event to HWS Space.

Fees

Any Fees will not be severe and will be based upon a low percentage of what you are taking away from the event rather than what your player Net Worth is. If you're not walking away with much of anything it's not likely there will be a tax of any sort, if you somehow managed to hit the jackpot in alien materials then a 2% tax might be incurred, etc.

Tickets

Going into the event try to keep track of all structures and vehicles you create and the names you assign them as that will make it much easier if you are pulled away by real life before the end of the event. Sometimes real life rudely interrupts and gets in the way of epic gameplay. More information will help when filing a ticket to try and recover your equipment and vessels after the event has concluded, and everything can be delivered to several locations throughout the HWS Universe.

Delivery

Delivery will be handled case by case but in the event you need your lost cargo delivered it cannot be delivered to donare systems as these will not have portals to Lost Sector Space. Other than that most systems are fine as there will be portals open to most everywhere in the HWS Universe.

Hmmm this idea I quite like! I think a sort of scaled-down Moba could work quite well. The issue MOBA also had was the planet-side limitations such as being HV OR SV only instead of having the full spectrum of military options avalable (aside from big CVs).

In Regards to portals i’m thinking of keeping it simple with just one Major portal in and out that activates on a weekly basis. As when it comes to the fact that this server mostly has one-main coder (Rexxus) the appropriate maxim should be: ‘Simplicity is Key.’ I use the same idea when it comes to planning faction operations as things then run smoothly when there are less moving parts.

In regards to the Sector i’d make the resources on the planets pretty good to act as an anchor without necessarily taking away from the current PVP playfields, maybe by having the POIs having some really good loot.

I also like the Relic idea; the only issue is that recently an individual on EU was caught duping items so i don’t mind relics on condition that there’s some way to prevent them from being duped.

With the time-frame i’d keep it to a simple:

All week can warp in; and Sunday’s and Wednesday’s you can warp out.

Though I like the idea of OAM and OCD not working in the area for a while unless the portals are open. (with the exception of OCD7 ofc)

In terms of the scale of this project I believe that it is too ambitious in its current form. Instead i’d argue that we cut this down to a single planet via a single mode of entry in a single system. Keeping it all straight-forward and minimising the amount of work required for the project.

I’m also worried of the scale as too-large a number of playfields will dilute the PVP action massively, leading to an issue we had before with many very barren PVP playfields. As it was hard to consistently find pvp on them due to the sheer number of pvp playfields that presented viable resources/opportunities.

Hence why i’d have a single planet with a high number of challenging POIs that reward players for intelligent play and maybe have some high-levels of attrition in these POIs so that it’s a long slog; the main issue I see with this is players ships getting blown up whilst they’re doing a POI but that’s an acceptable risk in my opinion.

In terms of POI rewards this is hard, but I liked your idea about relics, and maybe apply this to things like Xeno cores that spawn once a week (once they become non-recyclable as Taco has suggested). Then as a finite resource they would become viable again.

Sorry if this post is a little bit speed-typed. It’s been a CRAAAZY day today! Will re-read and make -sure I haven’t missed anything tmrw morning!
Best regards
Wise.

Then he proceeds to want to change everything about it lol.

I Do like it as unlike many ideas I see which are mere throwbacks to previous things for no real reason; what you have instead is more something that is actually building on a prior idea. A genuine sense of progression, hence why i like it :slight_smile:

I rarely say ‘I like it’ so don’t knock it ahaha or i’ll become even more conservative in my ‘I like it’ comments :stuck_out_tongue:

I just simply think that you have built too much onto it right now, you should reconsider the context of this inside the server and start with a simple addition that could be scaleable and built upon in future iterations. Therefore i’d say it’s less about me wanting to ‘change’ anything but instead reduce the scale of it as-of this moment.
Best regards
Wise.

This right here I 100% disagree with and if I were the one to have say over a system such as this I would disallow all forms of OCD and everything else that involves benefits from HWS Space while the portals are closed. You are locked away from HWS Space, the OCD doesn’t magically have inter-dimensional travel, cause then you do as well. Why not just hop in your OCD and transport yourself back to HWS Space?

Anyway, aside from that one detail of locking you away from HWS benefits once the portals are closed I am completely open to all other criticisms and such. I decided to play the game tonight instead of continuing to develop this idea, still working on those quick start guides, so just wanted to touch on this one aspect before heading off to bed.

On a side note, before you mentioned allowing OCD 7 I was brainstorming a sort of equivalent, maybe even something that can be used to carry over if the event were to become a regular thing. The creation of a vault of some sort that could be created by HWS players in a cooperative effort. It could be used to store not only items but also vehicles and ships depending on how much investment was funneled into it and such. Very early and undeveloped idea having to do with an ongoing story of being pushed back by the aliens, etc. etc.

I definitely agree that something like this needs to at least start out small while in testing but, in order to work, needs to be grander. There are plenty of simpler systems already in place on the HWS server. This would be in addition to everything else not a replacement of anything and would be an event not a feature.

This is a different sort of possibility, but I’m trying to consider things from a “lore” perspective. How would you explain the window(portals) opening back up in the middle of the week?

On the other end of the spectrum I would argue that narrowing the scope would make this undesirable. Having only one planet and restricting people to it for such a long period of time would leave them with nothing to do very quickly. There are several people that I have seen already talk about the HWS Universe being too small. I personally think it’s a decent size with a good balance of PvE and PvP that just needs some tweaking and balancing along the way, but a single planet for several days is definitely too small.

I included your post about cutting the week in half with portals opening up Wednesdays as well as that would shorten the length of time, but even that would not be short enough for many players that would explore the planet on day 1(possibly in hour 1) and then want to move on.

Of course if it’s PvP that changes things to a different mix, but what’s the purpose of fighting here instead of on GG or Homeworld? Essentially one group would gain the upper hand and all others would retreat if it’s just one planet that is PvP so one faction/alliance would then have free reign for the cycle where the portals are closed. If any of the non-dominant groups’ players end up getting stuck then either they will just not play until the portal opens(or they play on an alt in HWS Space), a ticket will be filed, or a complaint will appear.

A single planet, via a single entry, in a single system seems like a bad idea either in PvP or PvE imo.

@Wiseman738, hope you didn’t take this as me picking apart your critiques but that’s exactly what it was lol. You were one of two to respond so the only one I could discuss with.

Concept On-Hold Not Abandoned

OCDs Revisited

If OCDs were to be reworked, as the discussion has started to be brought up, to where there were high/low orbit or essentially there was an OCD that followed you where you went but with a smaller capacity of sorts then it would make a bit more sense for it to follow you into this sort of instanced event. So whether it was to be determined that it was OCD 7, OCD 20, or something else entirely(specialty drones or some such) you could that way take the OCD with you into this sort of event but it would be at risk the same way it would be in any other PvP(or non-secure) environment in HWS space.