CV Class Limit Discussion

This thread is about discussing CV class sizes, if you want to discuss SVs, make a thread for it.

We told you 100 times by now.

Class 5’s are a way of fighting. Some like fighting class 5 fightst, just like you like fighting class 1.

• Class 5 CV’s are great for big fights, that last longer
  • They’re fun to 1v1 in.
  • They’re slow, so you actually have to know what you’re doing.
  • Other reasons.
2 Likes

Other than you enjoy flying a Class 5 CV for the sake of flying one. Why do you prefer Class 5 CV fights? I stated why I prefer Class 1s.

It’s easier for a new player to build one. Block count doesn’t matter much in cv build. Lagshot protection (rendered triangles) and device count (redundancy) do. Not even saying that newbies think that triangle optimization is rocket science.

So it’s more likely that noob in class 1 ship will either get lagshotted or lose his ship for other reasons very fast.

1 Like

its all about the fight ,risk ,reward , and destroying your class 1 ships in a class 5. and they ability to turn the tides in a fight in the one system that is class 5 limited

1 Like

:popcorn:

3 Likes

Up until now, you are the first one to say something other than they are fun.

Yes, I get it. Some people enjoy longer fights. That said, when you get a lot of CVs in a fight it has a huge strain on the server from all of the turret calculations. So while longer fights are enjoyable for some, they have a strain on the server.

Gotcha.

The way we build our Class 5 CVs they are just as fast as a Class 1 CV and just as nimble. The only difference is the number of blocks protecting your components.

Can’t really discuss this.

Size, and lengt of battles isn’t really what takes most RAM. Amount of vessels, are the killer here.

Exactly, limit it to one Class 3 or 5 CV. Then you can bring in your big CV and turn the tides. If you are in a large faction everyone showing up in Class 5 CVs means it’s not tide turning, it’s just the norm.

I’ve yet to see a noob build a decent Class 3 CV let alone Class 5 CV. We used to have Class 3 CVs and would just go around and kill newb no matter how big their ship was.

Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say newbs can just slap more blocks on them and will be less likely to die?

More class size gives them less chances to make a fatal mistake in design. Have you seen a good class 1 ship made by noob?

That’s part of it.

Turrets firing have a huge strain on server/playfield performance. All of the calculations on block health/hitting/missing causes issues.

If you have larger numbers of Class 1 CVs, they die faster, which means their turrets stop firing, which helps playfield performance.

1. Because they are fun
  2. Because they enrich my experience
  3. Because they are a key part of the tactical experience by providing alternative playfields
  4. Because I can make pretty ships that work for pvp thanks to the larger class size
    Proof:

That goes away as soon as class 1 is the max.
  5. Because I feel like im actually in control of a proper warship instead of a stick with guns in the case of a class 1.
  6. Because they are more tanky and less likely to get ganked unlike class 1s. (also sidenote this is a good thing for noobs)
  7. Because further limits for little benifit are a bad idea
  8. Because a majority of pvp players start off in class 5 cvs thanks to their tankability.
  9. Because class 5 fights are not laggy, very dynamic, and provide a key part of the pvp experience. This being different targeting settings, longer more tactical fights and more room for error
4 Likes

YESSSSSSS

1 Like

Can you please provide citation and benchmarking on this? Have you been in contact with eleon?

1 Like

When a class 1 is dead, they’re so cheap people will go get a new one. Once a class 5 is dead, it’s dead for good, because they’re so damn expensive.

1 Like

No, you got mere there :wink: . That’s why I also added a poll option for limiting to one Class 3 or 5 CV per alliance. That way you can have the one guy who is piloting the titan/dreadnaught CV and the other alliance members fly smaller ones.

I personally think one Class 3 or 5 CV per alliance in Homeworld would be the most inclusive option for newer factions.

This is also a valid point. Class 5 combat has a lot more value, and is alot more impactful. When one of these bad boys go down, it’s like the pride of the fleet (HMS Hood) going under.

1. Gotcha.
  2. Gotcha.
  3. If only one have one Class 3 or 5 CV per alliance they are definitely a tactical advantage. Yet, when everyone or a large number of people are in them it’s not as relevant.
  4. Gotcha.

True. Yet they rarely do go down, and the quality of the fight when you have a large number of Class 5 CVs is pretty low.

For newer factions. For any large faction/experienced player/larger alliance, you can pump them out easy.