Disconnects you say

Hi HWS Community

so lately (again) some players suffer from Disconnects. Mainly Black Hole, Golden Globe and Homeworld.
And guess what - the playfields with best intentions to drill! All of the moles out there: you and I are the reason why you (everyone there) get disconnects :see_no_evil:

I skyped with the Devs yesterday and that is the approved reason.
Now Iā€™m not unguiltyā€¦

1. The overlimit drills (21 drills) are something Eleon donā€™t calculated with
  2. The ā€œGolden Globe Brotherā€ in Black Hole (7x times bigger Gold Asteroid) is my invention Eleon didnā€™t know
  3. Resource Crusts are also my invention Eleon didnā€™t know about

So, I created on the one side more fun but on the other hand I invited also disconnects.
Especially if some of you are smart and fill the Havest Box with 1er slots of other resources so Crushed Stone gets ejected to the playfield. Once the playfield reach ~500 entities (each crushed stone on the ground is an entity) the playfield is dead.

Solutions?

1. Eleon works on a fixā€¦ maybe stop emitting the entities if the playfield reaches the limit
  2. We get rid of over limit drill Garage ships ( :-1: )
  3. I have to remove crushed stone from the planet terrain output by giving them other textures ( lot of work, maybe a planet wipe needed)
  4. Golden Globe Brother removed already
  5. Implement Anti Grief again ( :-1: )
  6. Implement indestructible surface to 100% give you smooth experience you not could have thought of (create many planets into ā€œAuto Miner Warā€ planets like Armageddon)
  7. You as a player put more Harvest Box into your vessels and suck the crushed stone! (:+1:)

I would say we go for 1. and 7. for now.

I just wanted to inform you that we all can either improve it or make it worse.
Please donā€™t blame me or othersā€¦ everyone just want to do the best I guessā€¦

Your HWS Team
10 Likes
  1. Give me radar and i will take care of pvp particles emitters :rofl:
4 Likes

Glad you posted this ReX. We have been constantly been accused by the enemies I wont mention, that our base is a lag base even thought it was only class 2 after the surface of it was destroyed. Things were butter smooth for myself and my teammate until the enemy started drilling under the water to get to our base and left a huge cavern. Then the lag and dc got real. Now im not complaining at all, even with the disconnects and lag happen I still got kills and had a blast. im just glad that you posted this, because I told the enemy the lag and dc didnā€™t start till the digging and BAM you just explained that digging can be bad and why. Thanks for all your hard work to keep this server great!!

plz dont remove the gareg ships with more than the limit drills plz

Once the playfield reach ~500 entities (each crushed stone on the ground is an entity) the playfield is dead.

hell no!
what about containers that drops from cargoboxes, pentaxid fuel tanks and constructors along with fridges? do they count as such entity?
I mean that heavy PvP battle can cause it too in this case.

Everything that drops (and the game has to record its information) is an entity.

Remember to go to the toilet before leaving for PVP :poop:

3 Likes

@RexXxuS I have a fix for this : place wanted offers on the market, 1 million per stack of crushed stone :smiley:

2 Likes

The devs should make a ā€œJunk Harvest Boxā€. You place one crushed stone in it, now all crushed stone that you mine will go to that box instead of your regular harvest box. If all junk harvest boxes fill up, and you are still mining crushed stone, the excess is simply deleted.

This is a simple, elegant, and user-friendly solution, if youā€™ve played modded minecraft and used the " /dev/null" item you probably know exactly what Iā€™m talking about.

So, in theory, someone could drop 500 single stacks of anything and cause this issue too?

Hmm I find this very interesting. If this really is causing issues then hopefully the devs will find a fix for it.
What concerns me is that I had built 3 class 2-3 bases on Golden Globe for the last 3 weeks of the season and also an alliance faction had a class 2 base next to it with multiple vehicles in the vicinity.

We mined out more than half of the red zone next to these bases on multiple occasions and NEVER had back-to-back disconnects, but I guess we shall wait and see ehā€¦

I disconnected a lot in GG last season and discovered that I would disconnect less if i flew into play field hid somewhere and then just re-logged. it seemed more stable Iā€™m not a computer smart guy so i have no idea why but it seems to work better.

i also noticed the more play fields you fly through (numerous warps) the higher the disconnect chance, so warping quickly through numerous systems seems to create disconnects.

Hopefully with optimization the game gets smoother in PVP as it is fun (when u win!) dog fighting in groups. .

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen anyone spitting out crushed stone as they drilled, especially in PvP as they would probably get in your own way. I can definitely see how it would cause lag/crashes. Is it not possible to make items stack higher than 999? Or could you make stone collect much slower such as how slowly resources collect from meteorites. There is an abundance of stone available so I donā€™t think anyone would complain if it mined a little slower, but to balance that you could just change the crushed stone to stone dust recipe to create 5 times as much dust as it is currently. People would be less likely to throw out the stone if they didnā€™t collect so much of it. Again, Iā€™ve never seen anyone actually doing this. Also in the specific lagging base attack scenario mentioned, the lag and server disconnects began well before any driller ship arrived at the scene. So Iā€™m more inclined to believe it was due to boxes dropped from damaged ships/base, new blocks being placed on the base, and blocks/devices being damaged and destroyed constantly and the server having to send that information to multiple clients. Nobodyā€™s client actually crashed and the playfield didnā€™t actually crash, it seemed only to be a server-client communication problem.

It was standard ops for many of us. In particular with the 1st version of surface mining gg several seasons ago. Lots of stone with the gold. Would easily fill half the harvest box with stone.

Stone was less needed. Much was thrown away.

Less common practice today.

However, there may be other bugs causing dcā€™s, or hitting max entity is common for other reasons. Dcā€™s also happen in other playfields. Dcā€™s happen to one or more players, but not entire playfield.

I suspect there are other causes, and individual Dcā€™s will continue. Maybe entire playfield crashes will be less frequent ā€” this is good and a big win.

I for one am prepared to put up with disconnects if it means we have a more enjoyable experience. The 21 drills are fun, so is the resource crust, and so is the oversized asteroids.
This is an alpha game, its expected theyā€™ll be a few issues along the way. We as players have a responsibility as well to deal with as much as we can before complaining. I am sure elon will fix it soon :smiley:

the ideal would be to create a different script for entities ā€¦, for entities not generated from damaged boxes and player inventory and tanks, the permanence time should be zero, ie, it will be excluded immediately after being generated, perhaps a second of life and nothing else, for the other cases, boxes generally 3 min and backpacks 15 to 20 min in case no one accesses the same, if accessed it disappears in 30 seconds for tanks in general 3 min are sufficient and after opened another 30 s. ā€¦ I believe such changes can easily solve the problem ā€¦

1 Like

Something has changed in the game or those playfield it seems odd that the playfield degrades that quicky with only a few players compared to last few seasons.

Rex I disagree with this whole answer. First and foremost the drilling was not happening when the DCā€™s started if you watch all the video that was supplied. This is just one more nail in the coffin for me and my drive to play on this server. Last season the only DCā€™s to cause major screen lag we saw was around the Horde bases on GG. They even admitted they knew the bases construction was causing the lag. Go back and look at the chat logs from the night of these videos. They have you buffaloed you into believing they are not responsible yet the rest of the server hands you evidence time after time? Iā€™m sorry Rex but you are one siding this whole issue and i fear you will lose player until you get a handle on the exploiters, who ever they may be.

1 Like

That exists, itā€™s called ā€œanother harvest boxā€

1 Like

I have to agree with tripwire. This issue was not from entities from what we could see. There is a particular type of base designed by particular people that is constructed from hundreds upon hundreds of TRIANGLE blocks. The base always has trouble rendering in then the connection problems follow. I have seen massive holes dug before without any real connection drop issues, this seems to only affect the rendering of the terrain, but not causing lag. Across all of the battles and bases we come across the only ones to cause this problem is the triangle/pyramid blocks. Considering the issues referenced, there was no drilling for the first 2 hours of battle and connection issues were still happening during that. Hell, the miner was only brought in because we couldnā€™t stand the connection problems in the first place. I urge you to reconsider some type of testing on the triangle/pyramid blocks and the effect on server stability.
I donā€™t doubt at all that the drilling/entities can cause these problems too, but i think the root of the problem is being missed. Also I dont feel that the builders in question are doing it on purpose, As the connection issues are hitting them as well and have caused countless losses all around.
Easiest way to test this is to build 2 identical bases, 1 with all square blocks and 1 with all pyramid blocks and see what happens i guess. I could be wrong but its honestly an observation i cant overlook. Seems too much of coincidence.
Regardless, keep up the good work Rexx and thanks for at least looking into what you have already. And thanks to all the players who are coming out to pvp and have fun every night!

1 Like

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the case.

When we were fighting Op4 earlier this week, yes the base was laggy for most of the fight. Then all of a sudden the lag cleared up and everything was good. The lag kicked back up again when BlueAvenger came down, got shot down and killed. Someone then tried to put turrets back on the base and the lag kicked back in.

If the pyramids were causing the lag, then it should be consistent.

1 Like