HWS 6 | Big changes coming! Update!

Well to be honest it is a community decision and for now it just looks like Class 3. The advantages of Class 3 are higher than the disadvantages at the moment.

OF COURSE we have a lot of flamer and what not about Class 3 - somewhere understandable but in 90% cases they are really just flamer or “hot air” so to speak.

1. they don’t understand what causes server CPU issues
  2. they compare HWS with other servers
  3. they have still ultra epic 141234142134123 triangle ships back from the lag shot workaround days

Just recently I checked one of these ships which are “A PAIN TO BREAK DOWN TO CLASS 3” and what was the reality?
Either remove 15 devices for Class 3 or remove 5k triangles of a 150k+ triangle ship (and this ship was HUGE).

In that moment I realized that all these flamers need again to show me good examples of ships which needs class 4.

The only thing what I was thinking about was to make Class 4 and restrict it almost everywhere down. Or to start with Class 3 and allow Class 4 on important playfields.
The difference is huge but start small and make it bigger is better than removing stuff later.

In the end nobody says you need to throw away your Class 4+ blueprints away. We will see how it goes and adjust everything as needed.

2 Likes

Just a thought - to keep it simple, impose a consistent limit everywhere, at least for vessels since they move about. Please consider treating bases separately from vessels.

Heh at least re-designing stuff is fun in this game.

My only concern here is whether we need to remain constricted on bases at the same class as CV’s, particularly when we already limit the number of bases a faction can own. I have brought up the point in the past, a base doesn’t move. It doesn’t commonly have the same damage calculation issues a CV does. And a base is where a player can really get some quality time in making something look good, as opposed to sheer functionality. Could we consider at the VERY least not dropping base class to 3 at the same time, if not upping it at bit so that people can transition their fancy stuff out of cv’s and into something more permanent?

2 Likes

As you might know there is a difference between global BP restriction coming from the dedicated.yaml and our restriction system (aka red warnings and ship “suddently” turns into HWS faction).

So BP Class 3 would count for EVERYTHING - also Bases sadly.

But we have an own column for each structure type where we can go with Class 4+ for all Bases.
So you just have to cut it down to BP Class 3 initially and build again on top of it…

1 Like

Please please just make it uniform across the board. Class 3 CV everywhere or Class 4 CV everywhere. It’s going to be too much of a pain to make system specific ships. Just make it class 3 across the board if you want it class 3 or let players take a vote on it. Bases are different since most of the time they have to be crafted by hand.

This guy gets it.

1 Like

If thats indeed the case then will it really bring about a big performance increase?

Is this issue of greater impact to CPU performance than the foggy weather, tunneling and 42 turrets per ship?

That actually works just fine for me, I generally build my structures on site, but would cause issues for example if I had made a class 4 base in Moba that I wanted to blueprint and bring back as is after the wipe on the seventh. Hypothetically of course. :slight_smile: If we decide to allow that path, will it be announced in the next few days as an official option? Because I know I for one thoroughly enjoyed armageddon in 5.0 even if just for the option of making a larger than normal base for once.

Good question!

But the problem is the range. In this case just a little drop would make it to Class 3. But you can also have the max. range of Class 4 which would stack each to a high amount and server load again.

As I said we need to test this by our own. Other servers don’t count here. Also the question what is worse:
a lot of small structures or few big structures? (worse for the CPU)

I try to release a patch to my tool so you can see how much of X you need to remove to get your Class -1

1 Like

Have you considered regular orbit wipes? Not just of starter systems but homeworld etc too?

RP - A shockwave from the black hole sweeps around the universe every week.

I remember in V4 Jagal orbit the max limit was reached and the orbit got wiped - much smoother afterwards :slight_smile:

I tend to avoid homeworld as im pretty sure there is a large number of CVs in deep space there. Awful FPS every time I warp through.

Maybe at the least the max structure limit could get reduced?

Yes, there you see the other problem.
Even though planets are technically way more performance eater than orbits, orbits have still problem if too many structures are parked there (the bigger the worse).

Then the problems in general even start because 1. your Client FPS goes down and 2. the server / game can’t handle it properly and some Get Support Tickets popping up like “my ship disappeared”, “I warped but my ship not”, “my ship only has half of its blocks” etc. etc.

So sigh… yeah guess we have to put a limit hammer there also, especially since the universe gets damn small.

The issue is that my class 4 (Two blocks from a class 5) only has 190 devices. I would need to remove A LOT of blocks to get it to class 3.

My faction have a build that was Class 4 just 1 block off class 5. We’ve already made a class 3 version - thanks to Aeonbug for that. Its not been tested though and a few of its important features that made it unique have had to be sacrificed. Seems pretty certain though class 4 is in for the chop so we have to bite our lips and move on.

You guys were probably able to trim some devices my build had already cut everything but the bare minimum. How many devices do you have on your class 3?

Have you gone through and removed all curves yet, particularly 6 way connectors?

Its very minimalist in terms of devices. Just a battleship nothing else. Havent got the figure atm as not in game. Think lights are the main thing - we’ve none of those evil things.

Try a 23mil hp 350 device, 6 light, 130k triangle combat CV that was already using slopes for lag shot which is less than squares xD impossible to bring it to 3… but so be it, making a new ship already :grin:

I am at 29900 blocks I have no room for 6 way connectors

lmao
Ya this one may well need to be rebuilt a bit. Honestly with lagshots fixed, I dont see why any pvp player would be opposed to more stringent size restrictions, You take two of those and the best pvp players you can find, it will end in a stalemate 100% of the time after an hour. If the guns dont die first. Smaller cv’s means they die easier, yes, but when EVERYONE is using smaller ones, it becomes once more about building skill, not just mass and resources.

2 Likes

I agree with you to an extent, but I don’t see lowering the class size as the solution. Instead we need to open the doors to more ship diversity and granting larger ships more/harder hitting guns at the cost of max speed/acceleration/ or turret tracking speeds. Giving smaller ones increased handling and maybe stronger mounted weapons.