Hi HWS Community - Hi HWS NA,
this is a dedicated topic for you!
We started EU on 01.03.2016 as you know and after I saw in Google that we have a lot of players from the United States, I decided for a “risk” and expanded to North America (at that time I had a lot of established competitors).
So on 23.th August 2016 the HWS NA server, which you are currently still playing went live!
For the record some facts about it:
- Intel 2x Xeon E5 2650v2 | 16c/32t | 2.1 GHz / 2.6 GHz
- 128 GB RAM DDR4 ECC 1866 MHz
- 1 Gbit/s
- Cost: $217 per month => $7378 paid until now
- Since the HWS 9.X season you have beat HWS EU after 1 year in the ranking!
- You reached 170 max. players again!
So in very successful seasons like that, at the beginning, we have a big issue!
The RAM Bottleneck
128GB RAM are not sufficient anymore! We have daily restarts at night, once we reach the critical threshold of 90%. Otherwise the whole savegame and everything will become corrupt.
On HWS EU we upgraded the Server to 384GB RAM because I found a very good deal one day. It does not solve all issues, because Unity is unable to utilize Multi CPU Core Threading, but we are at least save regarding the RAM “leaks”.
Do you want to level up?
The big question is now: do HWS NA want to upgrade the server to a better machine, mainly more RAM?
It does of course mean the cost will increase dramatically but considering
- HWS NA buys more Supporter Playfields than EU
- Patreon got insane boosted recently which could cover the cost
it would be “OK” from my side.
Another question: Should the location remain Canada or where are most of you coming from?
Keep in mind: USA West is not recommended, because CSW for EU players would suffer too much.
Final Note: Upgrading NOW means a huge overload for us and you! All of your saved blueprints would be lost - you have to spawn them, so we can transfer it to the new hardware. So this might be a decision for the upcoming season?
So let’s do an obligation poll but please comment below your thoughts
- Yes, let’s boost the HWS NA server even though it will cost much more money per month
- No, let’s keep the server for now and deal with regular server restarts
I’m excited for your input and really wondering your thoughts.
Money should not be the show stopper here but your fun on HWS!
Your HWS Team