@HWS NA | The RAM Bottleneck | New Server?

I agree with cardboard, some of us are running at high end equipment and great service. I once played on my buddies computer which is meant for playing high end games and to stream them at the same time, one of those 6-10k computers, plus his internet is at 1gbs, however I dont think he gets it all the time, however with that said its damn good. Anyways i tried empyrion on that and it was awesome however the similar issues that cardboard had was still happening for some reason but on my crappy computer I have at home, seemed to be able to handle the disconnects better, not sure why, maybe im closer to the server then he is, no idea as I dont know about these things when referring to internet connections. I do have issues still but not as much

oh Rex i meant to ask, on the blueprint issue, can you explain that a bit more. I keep all my blueprints safe in the folder and copies just in case, I’m assuming they wont be affected right. So i’m guessing you meant the bps that were copied during hws this season that have not been backed up?

Hey,

all blueprints that are in your factory ingame (so the ones you can already spawn or that are in production) would be lost during a server transfer.
Its not about the blueprint itself that you designed. They will be available further since they are only saved on your client PC.

1 Like

Honestly i can say a server in New York and or Atlanta and Miami these cities have direct T cables for the na eu csw NYC is going to be the best balance
New York. This location offers the best coverage of the East coast of US, good connections to Europe and the best connections to Eastern Canada.
Low latency connections across East US and Canada.
also if the issue are the servers have you looked in to GPU Servers
and or aws [amazon]
there are just ideas that you may /or may not have come to.

Server performance on NA lately has not been great, but it’s still playable. I ran game servers for a long time and I know it’s not cheap which is why I am a meta level patron. If servers are being run in canada are you using OVH? They offer some pretty good servers at a cheaper cost, the person above me asked about AWS. I run an AWS EC2 server which costs $800 a month, and thats for 32gb’s of ram and a 10 gig line. AWS and Azure aren’t the way to go here as the prices are insane. I recently came back to this game after discovering this server in 2017, and this community is just fantastic. I will continue to support, and if there are higher level patrons available I will go for them. People like Rexxus and Jascha are rare in the player hosted server universe and I am thankful for them. My opinion on upgrades comes down to if you can get something substantially better for under $200 more a month, go for it you have the supporters here!

Thanks

7 Likes

I think a one-time fundraiser would work. Give some special support packages and make them available for a limited time only, and you might see some cash inflow for a short time. Might help with the initial costs.

Or maybe put another, slightly higher, patreon level into play - say $10 a month - and add some additional perk. As a patreon supporter, I’d be willing to pay that extra $3 to help support all y’all.

shrug

2 Likes

It’s not that easy. If HWS becomes P2W, many haters will come, and i also think many people might leave HWS. Right now HWS is at a good stage, where supporter packages are useful, but you can’t really buy richness.

Making “Special” packages, would be a little difficult.

1 Like

Yeah, true and good point. I guess maybe just a minor one-time spiff was all I was thinking. But then, you guys are better at knowing what people will tolerate and what they won’t. I defer to you guys. :slight_smile:

• I have noticed average ping is a bit high, I’d guess most players in the US would benefit from moving the server to the US.

• The only reason an upgrade would be worth it now is if it means the server can support the big fights. If its still going to restart during the big battles then I’m not sure what the benefit would be.

• Are you saying the entire server will reset again from a clean start like a new season? Or just the blueprints in our factory?

• If you have to choose between the upgrade now and garage ships now I’d want the garage ships available first.

It’ll only be the ready to spawn BP’s in factory. They’re sticking to the server, so when Rex buys a “new” server, they won’t follow. However with everything else, Rex can just transfer the data to the new server.

1 Like

Thank god. I’ve barely started this season, I’m not ready for another reset. :joy:

Support big fights and restarts are two different things.
Will a forced restart happen outside the common 9AM-5PM-11PM cycle? No.

Will it supports big fights? No. That is a fundamental Eleon game issue, not the best quantum pc with 1 trillion CPU cores can handle.
It is just a nature law. Like flying dogs. Not gonna happen.
Same with Empyrion and Hardware. Not gonna happen to have a smooth game, no money in the world can fix it.

A weird choice but nope, Garage ships are available once the Garage Contest is over:

1 Like

I just know you guys are really busy, that’s all I meant. :+1:

How is this even a question? 128 Gigs?!? As far as I’m concerned wipe the damn server and fix the thing!

We got this guy… Not Sure… He’s going to fix all our server problems.

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying there will be no garage ships at all until after the contest deadline which is the end of July? No garage ships at all for at least 5 more weeks?

Ok sure but that could have meant 2 weeks. I didn’t know it meant over half the season.

Yes, we are using OVH since over 3 years and it’s cool.
I found a great deal for the HWS EU server at Black Friday.

Have to see if I’m lucky for NA if we are going for it.
Overall it’s at least true that we have to choose the first day of a month of a switch to not lose money.
I see the overall feedback is YES… so I’ll start searching I guess.

Exactly. They can advertise CPU or hipster modular upgrades as much as they want. More than 128GB RAM cost insane lot.

That is very insane but appreciated! The spirit overall :slight_smile:
I will think about such “funding” carefully.

It takes time to build all those submissions. Then it takes more time to go through each and every one and check things, fix them, and ultimately then go through the process of implementing them in to the server.

1 Like

There are already submissions and new ships have been posted to the garage page already though. I guess I didn’t realize that absolutely no ships at all would be available until after the contest so even if a previous ship was updated we can’t get it. Its a little frustrating because I based out of a Safe Harbor last season and planned to base out of a garage ship again so I had been waiting. I didn’t think I’d be waiting until August for a ship that might be submitted and updated already or any day. But its ok, plans change.