HWS (RexXxuS & Jascha) AMA (Ask me anything) | Saturday 6-8pm

I hate you xD

1 Like

looooool

Oh, sure via PM. It got so stressed at the start that I waited for messages about that, sry.

Lol to both of you :joy:

Now more serious and harder one.
You guys trying to give us best possible experience, sometimes its so many stuff and features one could think it might be too much performance-wise. Arent you adding so much stuff thats too much stuff for server to handle?

Disk space is a problem, I have no doubt something like “Lets buy new harddisk for us” is possible as thats what HWS is, I can say I would throw few bucks in but I guess you renting whole server as it is so its not possible?

To make it simple is CPU reaching 100%, and if, how often and is there even stronger machine to hire to solve it? If there is, is it possible to pay for it with what you getting from donations?

Simply put I was excited when you decided to get new server and was feeling sorry for you when it failed. If server starts to be too weak for us and your creations, if we will pay for it will it help, hope you understand, finding it hard to expres in English. We want smooth gameplay and some might have doubts so please clarify this all in detail.

1 Like

@RexXxuS i think that was the last Q&A @Jascha took part of… he already sees the amount of new code you demand

2 Likes

so whats the best crazy idea you had the jasch hates u for ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you

I fully trust @Jascha godlike skills to make it as few as possible.

The host provider isn’t flexible to just add more disk space. We would need to rent a complete new server.

CPU is an issue but not even a 2000 dollar CPU could fix the code of Empyrion. The more open playfields, the worse it gets.
We just have to wait for better code / optimizations.

1 Like

@Jascha I feel like you should share link to Paperclip factory as it includes very deep thoughts about existence etc. Can you?

Some are eager to see what are we talking about.

all above… But will the cost of building one your self overgo the cost of renting one? How much bandwith are we talking :stuck_out_tongue: more than the 1gig?

as far as i know you have connections to elon slap them a bit to code it more performant

Since its a “package” we bought we can’t just add a disk. We would have to get another “package”, so another server.

…Live feet… :expressionless:

We tried. The game is programmed poorly in this regard. A bigger server does not actually change anything as we noticed a few times the hard way.

Honestly… what we pay for those servers (for a GAME, I mean we don’t do weather forcast or scientific calculations) its INSANE. So spending so much money for a server goes against every fibre in my bone. But since its the only possibility and the community supports it we have to.
But if we get something much more expensive it will get difficult (and no assurance that it actually brings anything)

I brought a paper with a pencil sketch about the HWS Skill Tree on our very first real life meeting.
I said, look, players have to decide what they skill and they can get more hitpoints and stuff… can you do it?
He thought I make jokes… :smirk:

3 Likes

How do you want a link to something that is actually you? Aren’t you doubting your existence?

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

Don’t open the link or you will notice that the next time you come back to HWS your ships are gone. Because its not tomorrow, but after the 16 days “structure not touched” period…

Problem is the side costs and maintaining it. Also security not to loose data, crashes, … so much that would just be to difficult. If I should have become a hardware guy :wink:

2 Likes

i think the biggest problem is the operating system the server is running at. an other operrationg system lets say Linux has more chance to balance the load to more cores than only the first 3

Thanks for answering, I have feeling like as many of as are in productive age we wouldnt have problem to donate money to buy new hardware for us as its for us. Your answer is sadly the same it seems like in time you tried to get new server. Patience is a virtue i guess :frowning:

I was talking to russian community recently and we was considering something like letter to developers, asking for some answers what is the future of this game. Half of Empyrion players have different point of view, SP with all that boring stuff they do fighting single turret for hours in ship made from pumpkins.

Do you think theres any chance to get some answers, waiting for some improvement in what we want is tedious. For me its hard to see that upcoming update again wont bring anything that much usefull, and if all works we can capture territory without any system, we just build working base.

So do you know something about future of Empyrion, do you think such letter from many players loving MP would get us some answers?

So how about adjusting speed for ships based on the newtons of thrust that are already captured and the m/s. Not necessarily adjusting the upper max (that would be nice, if only slightly) but more adjusting the max based on the MN of trust as it seems that one engine and 10 do the same thing for the most part. Also, maybe a good thing for the game would be limiting the total number of specific devices for a ship to say 32 engines total. With this same theme that generators should be grouped to the type of engines used. So, if your using small (CV here for ref.) engines you must use small gens. However, if your using large you go to T1 gens and XL would require you to use T2 gens. Not only require but would preclude you from using small gens as decoys buried out in some obscure par of the ship as an …. move.

1 Like

The first three are actually reserved by us for EAH, The Dedicated Server itself and Windows. If we would not do that the server would crash directly. Had that a few times at the beginning.

The other 29 cores you see are the playfield server. 100 % load. Just looks like 0%. Problem is. No Linux for Empyrion

I don’t know but I think the expectation would be too high.
For now everything is still covered under the big tree “Alpha”… “wait for it”…
I have mixed feeling about that.

Im proud to be :paperclip:. For others, its not that bad but you wont go to bed for sure, count with it :paperclips: .