New HWS Config Teaser | Effectiveness Weapon System (EWS) Example

Hey @everyone,

before I start my trip :motorcycle:, here is a little Work in Progress of the upcoming new HWS Config and the Effectiveness Weapon System (EWS).

Please keep in mind that I show you just a little part of it and all details will be revealed later.
But what do you think of what you can see already? :slight_smile:

The EWS or even call it in that example the ā€œHWS Shieldā€ system has one major intention:

Making fights short and skill based, if you analyze the EWS of your enemy and apply it yourself properly in battle!

Each weapon got a purpose and if you actually care about it, you can get very quick and fun results.
But even if not ā€” you can still rely on the Homing Missles (also depending on the lag situation).
Keep in mind that even though Macro usage will be common and is allowed, it isnā€™t that effective if used wrong. I think in the end someone with 100% skill can beat everyone effectively, marco or not.
Last but not least the Shutter Windows have less Triangles and it gives PvP buildes now a new level of depth for their builds.

Here is the current EWS Table of SVs ( :arrow_double_up: = effective against )

Rail Gun :arrow_double_up: Components & Piercing (Turrets, Thrusters, Cockpits, ā€¦)
Gatling Gun :arrow_double_up: Organics & Aliens (NPCs, Player, Zirax, ā€¦)
Pulse Gun :arrow_double_up: SV & Wing Blocks (H/Steel Blocks, Glass)
Plasma Gun :arrow_double_up: Combat Blocks & Alien & ā€œShield Breakerā€- Shutter Windows (Combat Steel Blocks S/L)
Rocket Gun :arrow_double_up: Concrete Blocks (A/Concrete Blocks, S/L Shutter Windows)
H-Rocket Gun :arrow_double_up: CV & BA Blocks & Allrounder (H/Steel Blocks L, Turrets, Thrusters, ā€¦)

(a more detailed table will be released at the end)

A similar system is coming also for CVs, HVs and BAs. Additionally more exiting stuff with major optimizations about performance / lag and more interesting assaults - for Defender and Attacker.

I reworked basically the whole HWS Config, spending tons of hours into it and make sure I understand everything what is going on and what is actually possible.

Iā€™m super excited to see if you like it and how it turns out.
I just want to make Empyrion a lot better with everything we can do - it deserves it!
Please donā€™t be ā€œdeillusionedā€ yet :wink:

Interested in hearing your feedback, even though you canā€™t ā€œplayā€ it yet yourself (but the video reveals already a lot of information if you watch it carefully over and over again :wink: )

See you next week!

RexXxuS

P.S.: Of course we are aware of the bugged / vanishing structures. We are aware of the regeneration issues. Every server is that. But we have to wait and work with Eleon to get it solved. Please report these issues as good as possible with every detail in the official bug forum thread.
I can just assure you that HWS 9 will have at least the gameplay fixed, as it should be! Way better planets, resources, tons of Asteroid belts + fields and especially addressing Casual Players and Long Term players in a much better way!

8 Likes

3 Likes

Omg! Very niceā€¦ thank you for this hard work.

Also I like your SV! It has a cool shape :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very nice idea. Not sure how it will work, but I would like to see effectiveness of different guns vs different blocks.

E.g. rockets 100% effect on Concrete, wood, 75% on glass, 50% on steel, 0% on shield (when that comes). the % are just to illustrate.

You could make a table : gun type vs block typeā€¦

1 Like

Been expecting something like this for a long timeā€¦ nice, realy nice

Rexxx i would like to test this in a high core playfield areaā€¦ ie dogfightingā€¦

2 Likes

very nice! interesting way to work around the lack of real shields in the game. the only problem is going to be having the ability to actually hit people with these weapons. in atmosphere itā€™s not so bad but in space itā€™s near impossible to have a sv/sv fight with anything but homing missiles, even then it takes ages to kill in the gameā€™s current state unless one of the SVs is poorly built.
On the same note, CV weapons other than homing missiles, particularly artillery and plasma are entirely useless given the speed and maneuverability of ships, even the largest ships can easily dodge the projectiles without trying. Is it possible to alter the speed and accuracy of the projectiles?
I canā€™t wait to try out the changes. My one complaint about Empyrion has always been that too few ships blow up in pvp (not counting pre-fabs or traveler mini-ships)

1 Like

As someone who was starting to get burnt out this does indeed look very promising Rexxus!

Nice work and thank you for all the work you do!

Best regards,
Wise.

1 Like

This looks awwwweeeeeeeesome. As some other people pointed out, it would be nice to see how well these work in space/atmo/lag dog fights.

Looking forward to trying this out.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. But as veteran i remember times when we had no (a bit lame) homers and fighting was very skill based. We used more than 20k rails and few thousands of plasma usually though and i remeber fighting Sanchous and RemMak for 4hours until I left victorious as Sanchous ran out of food.

I like what you aiming for Rexxx very much, fingers crossed as usually but I lso think that you have to support it by cutting down no. Of turrets here and there to improve performance as much as posible.

Last ideaā€¦I would like to se at least some direct weapons having high rof, small magazine and higher reload time. Tried in cfg and being able to fire in bursts is fun.

1 Like

Looks interesting would like to see what BA, CV, and HV look like. HV has limited weapons vs the others.

1 Like

I love the idea rexus but i feel trying to keep our HV/SV under the class size limit might not be possible. Also adding shutters to SVā€™s makes SV weaker vs HV and BAā€™s. Sure SV vs SV will be fair but until the BA and HV is done SVā€™s are at a serious disadvantage.

edit: Also by reducing the triangles of shutters for us is great but i cant build in single player and know that im going to be under the cap once i try and spawn in. So unless you release the config file to everyone and show them how to install itā€¦ upping the class size or removing it and just going with a hard block limit might be the easiest.

1 Like

Why will keeping HV/SV under class size be an issue?

SVs are not supposed to be good against bases or HVs, they are in fact supposed to be weaker. If you are attacking a base with a SV you should have one custom built for it or have other assets assisting you.

Re: Tri count, you will need to wait unitl the config file is released, maybe Rex made the calculation simple so all we need to do is make a tri calculator to figure iyt the difference.

I highly doubt Rex will release his HWS Config files to everyone to use as it represents dozens if not hundreds of hours of his own intellectual work.

I would also ask, while a weapon is ā€˜more effectiveā€™ against something; will there be a baseline damage level?

Because, when you have two ships spinning rapidly around each other in space, and your enemy is at a far, far distanceā€¦ youā€™re honestly not going to be able to see (very) well, what kind of damage youā€™re actually doing to the enemyā€™s armor; so, all weapons should have a solid baseline damage. It shouldnā€™t be so much ā€˜effective againstā€™ but more so ā€˜bonus damage toā€™.

Otherwise, I can see this system going south very very fast due to how clunky PvP actually is and with the inability to ā€˜aimā€™ turrets while in combat, itā€™ll just became an exercise of constantly opening the ā€˜pā€™ menu to adjust turrets every frame jump of the game and that will suck the fun out of the whole thing.

Meta-game is something thatā€™s very important to consider-- not so much how fun a combat system is, but how practical it actually is in implementation.

1 Like

Wow this means dog fights can be a thing again right??? This is a game changer. I came back for 8.0 as a player for 2 full weeksā€¦(different account) :wink: but as a lone wolf into pvp It Is hard to have a bit of fun when against a base I would have no chance and CV is just little skills (currently) SV has and will always be the lone wolfs strongest optionā€¦ The sad thing is that for so long single player pvp has been deadā€¦and even when it better in 2.0 the fights still last a long time although skill used to be a big factor.

If we can have short sharp dog fight like battles that last 5 mins not 50 mins then amazing.

Finally it can be worth investing in HWS combat SV also lol as I spent 40 million on SVā€™s and they lasted no time against more than 1 fight which is crazy for the price!

Aslong as skill is always greatly rewarded above homing and auto locking weapons then happy days. That should apply also to CV.

Cannot wait to start testing this and give 8.0 another go!

1 Like

remove 1 block inside an HV causes 6 sides to show so adding 12 triangles to your unit. Putting in 1 shutter/window add an additional 12 triangles thus doubling the triangle count just to put in shutters.

Sounds like a problem that can be solved with a conversion calculator. Also, more tris = higher class size = less devices/armor = faster fights.

Win win?

1 Like

Biggest issue I see is HWS is straying so far from the default that new players to the server will not understand why the weapons are not working. So when you go into a PVE battle and your weapons are not working as they should you will think the server messed up. It is great trying to make PVP better and I know Rexxus you work very hard. Just seems that you are now trying to mold the server all around PVP where at one point you tried with PVE. What is wrong with the default weapons? They seem to work just fine to me. Why must a battle be decided in a certain timetable? Battle takes however long it takes. Why must we say ok I should be able to defeat you in 15 min and then your 2 months of work is ALL MINE!!! Now I will go talk crap all over and cause issues.

If people can not learn to PVP with the game as it was meant to be played with the weapons as they are meant to be then let them play another game. Pullying HWS so far from default is going to turn away a lot of new people to the server and even those new to the game. You learn the game in SP then come to the most populated server only to see that it is so different you have no idea what you are doing. Then you just leave and do not look back.

I know I know the same people as always will attack me for what I say here and I really really do NOT care. You should all know by now I say what I like and I do not care if you do not like/ agree with it.

1 Like

But, I care.

But, because, and that is all.